Personality Cafe banner

OCD and personality types

26K views 29 replies 29 participants last post by  Flabarac Brupip 
#1 ·
I live with OCD and it got me wondering if certain personality types are more prone to struggling with OCD . I would think SJ/NJ would be but what about NP/SP?

#3 ·
I had OCD...I only have a few obsessive compulsive habits now, but I actually had OCD...I don't think Js would be more prone to it though...it's different than the J function...

#4 ·
I have some quirky behaviors that some might call OCD. Personally it's just my way of dealing with absent-mindedness. I do things the same way every day habitually. Like getting ready in the morning. In this way I remember important tasks that I would otherwise forget to do. I'm not so brainless that I would forget my pants but I might forget to feed the dog and that would be a bad thing.

#8 ·
My mom, brother, and sister all have quirky OCD tendencies, and they are all Js: INFJ, INTJ, ISTJ. My mom is the worst, but they all get upset when these tendencies are disrupted. My brother and I used to work at the same place. And he told me that he had to tap these stacks of papers laying on a table every time he went down this one hallway. And if the stacks weren't perfectly straight, he would fix them. Well...after he told me this, every time I went down that hallway, I would mess up the stacks, just a little, because I knew it would drive him crazy...I'm evil. :crazy: I don't think he ever knew that I did that.

I am the least OCD person you will meet.

#9 ·
I am a former OCD sufferer. I didn't understand why an OCD sufferer would use medication that would help with their symptoms, only to gain an immunity and go through a relapse. I skipped this approach and went for the more drastic and traumatic Cognitive Behavior Therapy. I'm free of all compulsions as of four years ago. I still have obsessive thoughts from time to time, but that is it.

I'm surprised by most OCD support groups I see on the Internet. Very few of the individual users actually undergo CBT. Instead they want to empower themselves. Eff that. Plunge in and never look back.

#10 ·
OCD is a very broad diagnosis and can apply to almost any one who displays interruptive obsessions OR compulsions. In my experience, I've found N's to be more OBSESSIVE than S's and J's to be more COMPULSIVE than P's. xNxP's that have OCD seem to be much more obsessional -- going over and over things in their head without end. xSxJ's seem the most compulsive - they have to do things in a certain way, and many I think have traits approaching OCPD rather than OCD. xSxP's seem the most immune to the symptoms.

#11 ·
I am an INFJ and have been diagnosed with OCD sometimes. I don't know if I really have it, or it just seems that way due to other issues I have. Regardless, I have a lot of OCD traits, both obsessions and compulsions.

#12 ·
My teenage daughter is ISTJ and has OCD.

#13 ·
I am an INFP and have been diagnosed with highly obsessive thoughts but not really any compulsive behaviors in the stereotypical OCD sense. I engage in some to relieve the fear associated with the obsessive thoughts, but it is actually that my compulsion IS the thoughts themselves. I have compulsive behavior tendencies but nothing as severe as the obsessive thoughts. So maybe the N is correlated with obsessions?

#14 · (Edited)
INTP with Pure-O OCD

This is such an old post... Well, I'm INTP and I went through some episodes of Primarily Obsessional OCD. I had the toughest time with the Religious type, from which I developed compulsions such as confessing my sins three times a week, praying the Rosary even though I didn't want too, and saying my prayers over and over if I felt they were not good enough. If I didn't, I'd go to Hell. Fear and guilt were off the charts...
Then, I had this awful, constantly intrusive thought that if I didn't become a priest, I would have a misarable life because it wouldn't be what God wanted. No more compulsions, just constant axiety, guilt and fear. That's when I knew it went too far, in a religion driven by fear of Hell and fear of destined unhappiness. Then I realised, I never really loved Jesus or anything, I was just terrified (I grew in a Catholic country, went to Catholic school, so it was in my system since I was old enough to say "Mum").
Now I don't go too deep into any religion, even though some of it is fascinating, I do not appeal to any organised religious system. So yeah, INTP guys usually get the obsessional type.

#17 ·
Sorry NJ here...can't tell about the other types.

#19 ·
I'm an INFP and I've had OCD for almost ten years, it started when I was 13 or something like that. I tend to be a highly anxious person in general. My OCD symptoms are not that bad, I can generally manage them when I'm in public but I've noticed that they get significantly worse when I'm in stressful situations.

#20 ·
Generally speaking I'm very laidback but due to my anorexia I'm super-perfectionistic with my exercise. 20,000 steps a day is enough for me, 10,000 isn't, and I constantly restrict my daily calorie intake to 1,200 a day when I know I should be eating 2,000 a day.

#22 ·
People get constant and severely intrusive thoughts, so they perform certain actions in order to try to relieve themselves of the stress bought on by them. It is NOT being more like a J... it's an actual serious mental illness (not personality disorder) that's lead to people committing suicide, so people need to read up about this stuff before saying ignorant BS. As someone who has it myself, these ignorant twats piss me off.

#23 ·
Any type can have OCD. It's not a personality quirk, it's a serious illness. I'm an INFP with a diagnosis of severe OCD, for which I am on disability for. I do see my MBTI type in the way my OCD manifests sometimes, though; it is sometimes very unpredictable in a Ne fashion. Most of my compulsions come up in the spur of the moment.

#25 · (Edited)
While I can be passive in my social and at home life and let more slide

I can be extremely extremely OCD at work. I have been so type A at times that I strung myself out working on projects to perfection denying myself sleep and forgetting to eat. Literally given myself ulcers from this type of behavior. I have to watch myself closely for workaholism. I’ve made beds on the floor in several sites/offices I was setting up at work. With circles of papers surrounding me ranging from compliance and policies to procedures, I really don’t wonder why people have wondered if I was on drugs at work 🤣. No, just really ‘extra’

I’ve had staff say they’d refuse to work for me if I did not actually leave work 🤣

And I’m a P

#26 ·
I'm assuming you're talking about OCD as in the mental disorder.

I don't think it's fair to "type" mental disorders, because anyone can struggle with it.

Also I'm already seeing people in this thread confuse actual OCD (which is an anxiety disorder) with just obsessive cleaning habits or an uptight attitude which aren't the same thing.

#28 ·
I have an OCD diagnosis and an ADD diagnosis. Double whammy!

OCD is not really how it’s depicted in popular media, though. It’s not really a part of my personality, not any more than having allergies is. It’s a medical condition. Whereas ADD is more of a neurodivergence thing, and it influences my personality a lot more.

#30 · (Edited)
OCD is not really how it’s depicted in popular media, though.
Yeah, like how we're always depicted as clean freaks. I've never been a clean freak. I used to take really long showers, but my apartments were always a disaster until I was finally able to afford a maid service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.