Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive began to notice how much i obsess with order in my life... if everything is in order in my life then my mind is more relaxed somehow.

But the level i go to achieve this is ridiculous when i stepped back and looked at it, i literally spent a whole 2 weeks whilst on lockdown organizing my pc, I did a fresh install then had an order of things i wanted to do and where everything had to go and how it had to work as intended... if things weret going to plan... i would reinstall and start fresh... i did this at least 8 times in 2 weeks and until i got it right everything else was put on hold... it became an obsession either do it right or not at all.. no half measures.

Were talking things that anyone else wouldnt even had noticed and infact would probably be an improvement to their pc had it been done for them.... this also rubs over to house work, i share my flat with with 2 other people and im always getting on at them about cleaning up... or the order of how things should be done for example recycling etc... not because im obsessed with recycling but because if done correctly it makes the chances of over flowing bins lessen as i have a system for minimal over flow lmao! and it works but i guess they jsut dont care much about it or know ill do it anyways because i do.

Any of the rest of you relate to this or am i just another level of nutbag ?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Ive began to notice how much i obsess with order in my life... if everything is in order in my life then my mind is more relaxed somehow.

But the level i go to achieve this is ridiculous when i stepped back and looked at it, i literally spent a whole 2 weeks whilst on lockdown organizing my pc, I did a fresh install then had an order of things i wanted to do and where everything had to go and how it had to work as intended... if things weret going to plan... i would reinstall and start fresh... i did this at least 8 times in 2 weeks and until i got it right everything else was put on hold... it became an obsession either do it right or not at all.. no half measures.

Were talking things that anyone else wouldnt even had noticed and infact would probably be an improvement to their pc had it been done for them.... this also rubs over to house work, i share my flat with with 2 other people and im always getting on at them about cleaning up... or the order of how things should be done for example recycling etc... not because im obsessed with recycling but because if done correctly it makes the chances of over flowing bins lessen as i have a system for minimal over flow lmao! and it works but i guess they jsut dont care much about it or know ill do it anyways because i do.

Any of the rest of you relate to this or am i just another level of nutbag ?
If you were my roommate I’d call you an extreme J, yes. If you take the official MBTI test it gives you percentiles one how J or P you are. I’d say you’re very far on the J side. I’m very far on the P side, so I’d do none of these things. I hardly ever tell someone how to do anything (unless it’s my job to) because for Ps it’s considered invasive to tell people how to do anything and I only organize anything when it’s absolutely necessary and is causing a problem if I don’t. I’ve got all my different interests to pursue, there’s no way I’d spend time on one thing like that. But it’s not like I haven’t had strong J roommates, but it all seemed overly fussy about very particular things. Not truly OCD. Their fussiness was accepted as part of them but nothing that I would do unless they were the type to be angry when what they wanted wasn’t followed like some Te types. As long as they just patiently kept stating that I needed to fill the water filter only to this line and not above and told everyone because they couldn’t figure out who in the House wasn’t doing it correctly, but in general accepted me for who I was then I just found their focus on these things deeply amusing and liked them anyway. It it became controlling then forget it. That’s abusive. There are many many things more important than filling that water filter to the line and the ability to have perspective about it is important. BTW for EXTP types the fussiness is just asking to get messed with... a continual source of amusement. So easy to annoy over things considered unimportant to Ps— but usually they’d also love you for it too as long as you handle it well. It doesn’t sound like anyone would take advantage of you that way in your house at the moment.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the desire for organization came with anxiety or if it paralyses you from doing anything else, like getting a glass or water, then yes, you may want to look into being OCD. I can identify with this - execution to perfection. If you do something, might as well do it well or not at all. There's a big picture of how things would look exactly and then there's the time taken to get it right. Very pleasurable end results. Sometimes I have to watch that this tendency isn't a procrastination or distraction from more important things I should be attending to.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,234 Posts
You do sound like a J, pretty normal from my experience.

However, I will note that sometimes I, though a definite P, can get like you mentioned you were with the computer (not only with my computer) - for me I can get super obsessed with organizing a specific thing at a particular time. I can 'waste' hours coming up with a system and being thorough about it, but the thing is I don't naturally maintain those systems later, I may think about it and kinda try, but inevitably it ends up falling by the wayside until I'm hit with another Must Organize! mode and then spend hours getting it all back together and up to date again. Organizing can actually be fun and engaging, but it's not a natural habit for me. I have, as I've gotten older, become more mentally motivated to keep things organized but I don't feel like it's the same sort of neeed for me that the J's I know seem to feel.

For me this can actually be a form of procrastination. If there's something I need to do but don't want to face, I feel bad about doing fun stuff so I do 'work' and 'organizing' that isn't what I needed to do but sort of gives me a 'hey look at me being responsible' distraction from the nagging about whatever other thing I ought to be getting done.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Organizing is soothing and therapeutic to Js in times of stress, so I don't see any real issues considering the current state of affairs. The process can be a relaxing distraction that yields satisfying results. I totally relate to the challenges of P roommates because I struggled with this in college. My solution was to maintain my private space how I pleased, but let nature take its course in the shared areas. When it got unlivable, I'd start showering at the gym and spending my evenings elsewhere. They'd either get the hint, or me and the other J roommates would put their dirty dishes and scattered laundry in their bed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I can relate to some degree..

Some times if I do a task and it isn't done "right" the first time, I start over, just like you.

Mostly when it comes to my laundry or cleaning. It has to be done in a specific order, but it is mostly because it doens't make sense to vacuum and then clean the kittylitter, because then you get to vacuum again...

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Could be anxiety, or a natural trait. Depends.

The need to sort things and to place them in order, could also relate to a person's shadow function, or it may just well be how they naturally are. Some Js can be OCD, meanwhile others, are a bit laxed, despite being orderly, overall. They don't overdo it.

If it's a compulsion like your behavior is an instant and automatic response, it's probably anxiety manifesting itself out.

OTH, it's great you're utilizing this time constructively. Sometimes when you get into cleaning mode, a part of you feels like you really need to get it done (now or never), because it's not in your natural state of being to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts