Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a child, did anyone else have interests or obsessions that teachers or classmates think made you weird?
When I was a kid I had this absolute obsession with the dead, mummies, ancient sacrifices, and other stuff like that that got me sent to the office a few times because my teacher thought that it was unhealthy for me to have such morbid interests at that age. I guess the weirdest part about this was when I'd check out books with pictures of mummies and just sit in the corner during recess and just stare at the pictures... like full concentration staring.

I never thought it was weird, and it's really not, but as a kid did you ever have interests in things that other people thought was really weird? If you can't think of anything that people thought were weird what other interests or obsessions did you have? For a while I was obsessed with penguins, and that was right after the Happy Feet movie came out when I was like 10, so for an entire two years penguins were my thing and then for a year after that I thought that they were the most stupid thing ever (not sure why because now they're just really cute to me).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've always had a very strong morbid curiosity. Death was incredibly fascinating to me as a kid so I researched it as much as I could. I got sent to a psychiatrist because of it, but I calmly explained why the concept intrigues me and they left me alone after that.

As an adolescent my morbid hobby is researching serial killers and psychopaths. They're such human anomalies I can't understand how more people aren't interested in analyzing these individuals. I keep that interest to myself because I know people would look at me like I'm a total psycho if I told them about it.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
To add to the topic of morbidness and don't usually share my darker interests with others, preferring to persue them in private. I used to also research serial killer case studies, the seedier side of society, the deranged, old mental institutions, I just found these ways of life intriguing, the fact that these things actually happened like the Ed Gein story - how he lived an odd double life where he was a pleasant enough to the locals if not a little eccentric only to be indulging in much darker things. I found the recent coverage of the Josef Fritzl case shocking because of how unusual it was and for how long his deeds went on. I thought I should probably find a career in crime investigation but I don't think I would like to have a career being surrounded by these kinds of stories day in, day out but like I say, I find them interesting because they actually happened.

The further back in time we go, the more horrific how more common torture was, England has a long bloody history of torture and public execution and now thankfully, we are very liberal in comparison to a lot of other countries. I think the last death penalty handed out in England was in the 60's and the defendant was actually innocent which resulted in the banning of the death penalty. Now, I'm shocked to hear that in some countries, the death penalty still exists. I also have recently found the stories of women befriending inmates of those on death row to be of intrigue, in prison weddings etc. Don't worry though, it's not something I'm always obsessed with, if something catches interest, I just research the shit out of it and then eventually move onto something else which might be completely different.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Others always made fun of me for knowing about animal reproductive systems... it wasn't ever my actual interest but just a biproduct of all the animal documentaries I watched.
My main interests from 4 through 12 were archeology and paleontology. History had too much politics in it for me to get it, and ultimately post-Jesus nations didn't have the same mystique to them as ancient cultures and extinct animals.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As an adolescent my morbid hobby is researching serial killers and psychopaths. They're such human anomalies I can't understand how more people aren't interested in analyzing these individuals. I keep that interest to myself because I know people would look at me like I'm a total psycho if I told them about it.
I used to do that. I remember my favorite museum was a converted prison and asylum in Kansas. They had a history of different treatments and torture methods and stuff.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
I think I was in my early 30s when I developed an interest in MK-ULTRA, torturing a person till their mind can be controlled and the different types of "programming" like Tinkerbell, Dragonfly, Greenstar, Monarch, Suicide Alters, Back/Front Alters, Alice In Wonderland programming and Wizard of Oz, Handlers, twinning, Moonchild rituals, Satanic Rituals and Sacrifice, Triggers, End Times Programming and the importance of certain numbers. From there I fell down the rabbit hole, had a great (and VERY interesting) time and scared the s*** out of myself. Yes, I consider the conspiracy subjects I studied... "odd".

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was always writing stories as a kid that were an odd mixture of cute and morbid. I remember one particular story a friend and I wrote for a class in elementary school that started with a normal 10-year-old girl's birthday party and ended with a murder and revenge plot. I think our teacher thought we were a bit strange. I started keeping body counts whenever I wrote stories.

I was always known as the kid who loved Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings a bit too much. I generally loved fantasy - books, films, artwork, music, dress, and so on. I surrounded myself with it.

As a teenager, I took an interest in the goth subculture (and later also the metal subculture), and started listening to darker music and wearing darker clothes.

Around that time, I also became fascinated with extreme places like Antarctica, natural disasters, serial killers, psychopaths, and anything like that. I loved watching documentaries about those kinds of things.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,341 Posts
The morbid emotional reality of extreme processes like dying, killing another human, biological adaptation to extreme circumstances always intrigued me as a kid, because most things i could relate to in depth but these processes were more obscure to relate to, and still are. I never shared these interests back then because i knew nothing good would come of it, now it's little more acceptable with moderation in conversation, though i find that people can get restless and uncomfortable quickly, but the opposite happens for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
But penguins ARE really cute. And funny haha.

Anyway, I'm not sure... I know teachers and kids at school all thought I was really weird for never talking to anyone, nor wanting to play with them. Does that count?

And I just hated it when teachers would tell me "We can't read your mind you know?".

I'll add something later if I can come up with something better.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
I wouldn't say my childhood interests were odd, morbid or downright weird, however I was into a few subjects that my peers weren't interested in at all. As an 8 year old I was already interested in astronomy for instance. When I was 10 I gave a speech at school about Ancient Aztec culture, complete with a graphic description of how they sacrificed humans. I really was into history (and still am). At the same time I really became interested in Formula 1 racing and soon after I started watching the races I already knew how areodynamics in general worked and what the functions were of specific parts on the F1 car. One more 'odd' interest would be flags of the world. When I was 8 or 9 I memorized the flags of all the countries in the world and I learned quite a few things about the culture of other countries as well (the book I read gave a few of those facts for each country). Oh. And. Animals. I was obsessed with (exotic) animals and even 'volunteered' for WWF between the ages 6-12.

At highschool the difference between my interests and those of my peers only got bigger. Just one example: while others were watching Jackass (early zeroes) I was reading Tolkien and trying to teach myself Quenya. But. I also did 'normal' stuff like playing videogames, watching football (soccer) and playing with Lego. I wasn't entirely a weirdo.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,359 Posts
(I was never into morbid things... I hate feeling scared or creeped out and am pretty sensitive to things like that.)

Mainly I've always been interested in fantasy, nature & animals, music (especially classical), culture of other places and other times, and some philosophical and theological sort of things. I don't think it's that my interests are seen as particularly odd, so much the level of interest I have in these things along with my lack of interest in modern popular stuff. Especially as a young child it wasn't odd to be into fantasy and animals, but became more so as I grew up and didn't switch to talking about celebrities and news and who I think is 'hot' and TV shows everyone else seems to watch.

Fantasy and Sci-fi are sometimes seen as odd, but they're not really 'out there', though I am into those enough to want to go in costume to conventions and stuff like that, not just enjoying a movie here and there. I mostly avoid any entertainment that takes place in modern-day here and now, and am mostly just interested in fantasy, sci-fi, or historical settings.

I like a lot of old movies and musicals that a lot of people aren't really interested in

I'm sure people probably would think me odd if I was able to actually have all the pets I'd love to have

my interest in old-fashioned things and other time periods has definitely been something that not a lot of people share, though I'm not sure how 'odd' it seems to them. dressing in more old-fashioned styles does strike people as odd though.

I don't think many people are particularly interested in what life was like in the past, or learning about different culture's traditions and values and ways of thinking about things which I find pretty interesting

My interest in Classical and Instrumental music often seems to strike people as odd (especially when I was a teenager), but I think it's more my complete lack of interest in (or knowledge of) modern bands and lyrics that really makes people look at me weird.

my love of long hair sometimes seems to be incomprehensible to people

my love of rain and dislike of sun also seems to be hard to understand for many people

writing isn't necessarily seen as odd even if it's not something a lot of people are really into

I find facial features really interesting, which I think a lot of people might find a bit odd

I've always had an interest in types of people even before I'd read any personality type theories, and that hasn't always been something other people were eager to discuss with me.

I do get the impression that a majority of people would probably think it weird if I tried to have a conversation with them about the possibility of other universes or the nature of time

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
(I was never into morbid things... I hate feeling scared or creeped out and am pretty sensitive to things like that.)
Can relate! This is why I never watch horror movies or supernatural thrillers.

Fantasy and Sci-fi are sometimes seen as odd, but they're not really 'out there', though I am into those enough to want to go in costume to conventions and stuff like that, not just enjoying a movie here and there. I mostly avoid any entertainment that takes place in modern-day here and now, and am mostly just interested in fantasy, sci-fi, or historical settings.
Although fantasy has been propelled into the mainstream by the LotR trilogy it still has this nerdy stigma surrounding it, even more than sci-fi has. The first LotR movie came out when I was in the second year of highschool and all of a sudden more people were into Tolkien it seemed. So I dared to start a conversation about his books and also about the books of Raymond E. Feist, Douglas Adams and Margaret Weis (to name a few authors who I was reading at the time) but I soon found out nobody actually was reading any fantasy, they just watched the movies. Reading fantasy was still considered as very weird behavior.

I like a lot of old movies and musicals that a lot of people aren't really interested in
What are your favorite old movies? What era? 30s? 50s? Silent era even?

I don't think many people are particularly interested in what life was like in the past, or learning about different culture's traditions and values and ways of thinking about things which I find pretty interesting
Lack of interest in cultural differences is something I cannot comprehend. Comparing cultures and finding out about the subtle (or not so subtle) differences in our daily lives is incredibly interesting and always a favorite conversation topic of mine whenever I meet someone from a different country. In my opinion if we all engaged in such conversations we would create understanding for each other and it would lead to a better world.

My interest in Classical and Instrumental music often seems to strike people as odd (especially when I was a teenager), but I think it's more my complete lack of interest in (or knowledge of) modern bands and lyrics that really makes people look at me weird.
Are you interested in modern instrumental music? I adore Two Steps From Hell for instance....and Audiomachine. They basically create the soundtrack to my (day)dreams.

I do get the impression that a majority of people would probably think it weird if I tried to have a conversation with them about the possibility of other universes or the nature of time
Not so long ago I managed to bore someone to 'death' with a monologue about the fact that time is like a circle and that every moment (past, present, future) is happening at the same time >.> So yeah....your impression is correct...people will think you are weird if you start a conversation about such topics.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
But penguins ARE really cute. And funny haha.

Anyway, I'm not sure... I know teachers and kids at school all thought I was really weird for never talking to anyone, nor wanting to play with them. Does that count?

And I just hated it when teachers would tell me "We can't read your mind you know?".

I'll add something later if I can come up with something better.
Maybe create a cute n funny thread to rival this one! :tongue:

·
MOTM June 2012
9,448 Posts
When I was a kid I was really obsessed with pirates, ships and anything nautical. I wanted to be a pirate when I grew up and I remember being really sad when I found out that they no longer existed. It was like finding out Santa wasn't real. I felt like I had been lied to, and I felt hurt that someone would lie to me about something I was so obsessed with.

After that I wanted to join the Navy and I wanted to either live in a lighthouse or have my whole house nautical themed. There was a place near my family's cabin called The Shipwreck that sold antique nautical decorations and I would spend hours in that store. I even saved up my money to buy decorations too. I had a book on pirates and on ships and would just study parts of the ship. I became obsessed with The Titanic too. I read lots of books on it and watched all the movies on it. Then I found out they were remaking it into a huge movie and I was really excited for it.

I don't think those interests ever really left me. I still have a strange fascination with ships and the sea. There was a special Titanic exhibit at the museum for the 100th anniversary of it;s sinking and it was a very powerful experience. The admission ticket was printed like a boarding pass for the ship, and each person had a name from an actual passenger and whether they were 1st 2nd or 3rd class. It also said a little bit about them; why they were on the ship, where they were heading to in America. My guy was a 3rd class passenger who was on his way to start a tobacco farm in Kansas. At the end of the exhibit was a giant wall of all the people who were on board and whether or not they lived or died. I was in awe reading the names and I remember holding back tears and just looking at it for about 20 minutes. I wish I would have just went alone so I could have had more time to reflect. It was a very moving experience.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,359 Posts
Can relate! This is why I never watch horror movies or supernatural thrillers.
me neither! I realised very early on as a child that it was better for my mental health if I stayed away from those things as i would just end up a paranoid wreak, like... even if I don't actually believe in ghosts or whatever I don't like stirring up my sense of weird scary stuff going on, I feel like it puts a negative slant on my expectations of the world. I know some people find the adrenalin rush fun or something, but I certainly don't.

Although fantasy has been propelled into the mainstream by the LotR trilogy it still has this nerdy stigma surrounding it, even more than sci-fi has. The first LotR movie came out when I was in the second year of highschool and all of a sudden more people were into Tolkien it seemed. So I dared to start a conversation about his books and also about the books of Raymond E. Feist, Douglas Adams and Margaret Weis (to name a few authors who I was reading at the time) but I soon found out nobody actually was reading any fantasy, they just watched the movies. Reading fantasy was still considered as very weird behavior.
yep, I can enjoy talking about fantasy movies with people, but I definitely get the sense that they don't relate if I start talking about the large portion of my thoughts revolving around imagining fantasy stories, my love of creating other worlds and races and magic systems, etc. There's a whole sub-popular-culture of geekdom, but yeah the majority of people tend to find that stuff cheesy or strange

What are your favorite old movies? What era? 30s? 50s? Silent era even?
hmm.... here's a sampling of the movies and actors I grew up on and still enjoy: Charade with Cary Grant (63), My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn (64), Brigadoon with Gene Kelly (54), National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor as a kid (44), Little Women with June Allyson (49), Bringing up Baby with Katherine Hepburn (38), The Thrill of it all with Doris Day (63), Curly Top with Shirley Temple (35), That Darn Cat with Hayley Mills (65), Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire (51), Daddy Long Legs with Leslie Caron (55), Franco Zeffirelli's The Taming of the Shrew (67), The Harvey Girls with Judy Garland (46), Pot o' Gold with Paulette Goddard (41), The Scarlet Pimpernel with Jane Seymour (82), Some like it Hot with Jack Lemmon (59), The Great Race with Tony Curtis (65), To Catch a Thief with Grace Kelly (55), Mary Poppins with Dick Van Dyke (64), The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart (51), Hello Dolly with Barbara Streisand (69), The Philadelphia Story with Jimmy Stewart (40), The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews (65), Singing in the Rain with Debbie Reynolds (52), Black Beard's Ghost with Dean Jones (68), White Christmas with Bing Crosby (54), The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn (38), Ivanhoe (39), The Hound of the Baskervilles with Basil Rathbone (39), Fiddler on the Roof (71), Ben-Hur (59 - yeah it's kinda slow but I grew up on it and I like that never-ending chariot race scene), Gone with the Wind (39 - too dramatic but I Love the costumes and the music is pretty good), Laurel and Hardy comedies (20s-30s), . . . I really enjoy a lot of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire movies, the dancing is so fun to watch! The most recent one here was made the year I was born.

Lack of interest in cultural differences is something I cannot comprehend. Comparing cultures and finding out about the subtle (or not so subtle) differences in our daily lives is incredibly interesting and always a favorite conversation topic of mine whenever I meet someone from a different country. In my opinion if we all engaged in such conversations we would create understanding for each other and it would lead to a better world.
Agreed! Similar to personality types, learning about other cultures can really broaden your perspective on things and help create more understanding, respect, and harmony

Are you interested in modern instrumental music? I adore Two Steps From Hell for instance....and Audiomachine. They basically create the soundtrack to my (day)dreams.
I was recently introduced to Two Steps from Hell and have enjoyed what I've heard! Similar to them is E.S. Posthumus which I learned about several years ago - I like that they have actually made two versions of some of their songs one with a singer and one with just the choir. My favorite music these days is primarily movie and video-game scores, I love John Williams, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Howard Shore, Harry Gregson-Williams, Jeremy Soule, etc. I really like epic music. And of course I still like classical music a lot, but it always kind of bugs me when I mention this and people say 'oh yeah I like classical, it's great to study or fall asleep to'. I do like some quiet and peaceful classical, but while there is a lot that is a bit boring, there is also so much that is stirring and amazing and I couldn't just have it as background because it would demand my attention, so... I often find that even people who 'like' classical music often aren't really interested in listening to it the same way I am (of course there are people who do).

I also enjoy a lot of Electronic, World, New-Age and genres I don't even know the name of (some examples Earth Trybe, David Arkenstone, Ott). I like a wide variety of music, but generally speaking I dislike anything with a main singer and an obvious one-TWO one-TWO on the drums, plus I'm not terribly fond of guitar and don't look for 'meaning' or what a song is 'about' (lyrics) ...which cuts out a Sizable chunk of music/popular-genres. Part of my problem with discussing music with others is that I just don't know the right genre names, and with a lot of more modern instrumental music I've heard it on internet radio without knowing what the artist or song name even is, so I might like artists someone mentions without knowing it.

Not so long ago I managed to bore someone to 'death' with a monologue about the fact that time is like a circle and that every moment (past, present, future) is happening at the same time >.> So yeah....your impression is correct...people will think you are weird if you start a conversation about such topics.
heh, yeah... sigh... I usually don't venture to try with people because I just get this feeling that it won't go over well, though I have met a few friends who can get into discussions like that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts