Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very good friend (might be my best one) who's self-typed as an INFP.

A brief history
I've known him for roughly a year and third. We're on the same degree and up until the last third of the year he was a 'pedestrian' - i.e. I talked to him when in lectures but that was it.

Since the start of the new academic year, we've become a lot closer (I think it's because I live with one of our friends from the course and he came to our house a lot, so I saw far more of him). He was going through some bad times and it was getting a bit awkward him telling our friend and leaving me out.

The Oddness
I seem to have an odd quality where people tell me information about themselves which goes beyond 'elevator talk' by a considerable margin (at times it's quite scary - my people reading goes crazy when I'm drunk and push for it). So, he tells me what's bothering him and then the odd part happens, I tell him stuff about me! I'm very, very reserved when it concerns me telling people about my personal/family life and I told him a fairish bit. As our relationship has developed in the past two months or so, I've told him far more than I have any friend in such a short period of time (not including partners). The information exchange is not unilateral - I've told him far more (he's practically got full access) and he trusts me a lot more (possibly more than all).

Then there is the other 'odd thing' we're not a couple or anything and this has never happened to me before, but when I'm with him and he me, it affects my mood (and his mood too). I have a bit of difficulty regulating my mood to some extent, but when I'm with him it stabilises it a fair deal, then if I don't spend a lot of time with him over a few days to a week plus, my mood descends quite a bit; even our friend picked up on it - she says that I seem happier when I'm with him. But the normalising isn't specific to me either - he's reported having something similar too, so it's not all in my head. It's odd, because it's never really happened to me before.

Another thing is, is that I can get 'annoyed' with people when I'm with them too long or their habits and mannerisms very annoying after spending copious amounts of time with them. I had an INTP partner and this didn't happen as nearly as quickly, but with my INFP friend, it doesn't happen at all (he also reports that I don't piss him off either (his words, not mine)).

Questions
So, does or has anyone experienced very rapidly trusting someone (it being bi-lateral) and then the oddness too?
Am I missing something quite obvious?

Any comments and observations would be welcome, this type of friendship is unlike what I've experienced before.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It sounds like you feel comfortable around him and have a crush on him. :) I never get annoyed being around my infj and trusted him pretty much immediately too.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Idk. I have this uncanny connection with my INFP friend where we will experience the same moods at the same time even though we will away from each other and have completely separate lives. he does annoy me pretty quickly though, unfortunately. :/ I think he is bipolar, on the manic end. He always has this super busy-rushed energy about him that makes me tired, and the P lack of direction, where i feel like we are rushing around in circles with no goal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
this person could be ur soulmate. i dont mean in a sexual/relationship type of way. the older i get the more i start to believe that marriage or just being in a relationship with someone may not be for EVERYONE. as much as i think that would totally suck (at least for myself lol) it is a possibility.
so with that said, he could be ur soulmate.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Questions
So, does or has anyone experienced very rapidly trusting someone (it being bi-lateral) and then the oddness too?

Any comments and observations would be welcome, this type of friendship is unlike what I've experienced before.
Can I call @Falling Leaves in here bwahaha (or you can just ignore this and hate me for the mention)
Or @catvoncool (maybe you should post sometime, dammit...and hate me for the mention)

I've always tended to view these sort of 'bi-lateral rapid trust' scenarios as I would imagine two self-aware type 6's who meet - both know they have trust issues with people in general, so they end up trusting each other instead. But I should also consider that rapid trust comes from complete genuineness on both sides, or there is a remarkable amount of unspoken similarity between the two.

I can't really explain it, to be honest.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
The Oddness
I seem to have an odd quality where people tell me information about themselves which goes beyond 'elevator talk' by a considerable margin (at times it's quite scary - my people reading goes crazy when I'm drunk and push for it). So, he tells me what's bothering him and then the odd part happens, I tell him stuff about me! I'm very, very reserved when it concerns me telling people about my personal/family life and I told him a fairish bit. As our relationship has developed in the past two months or so, I've told him far more than I have any friend in such a short period of time (not including partners). The information exchange is not unilateral - I've told him far more (he's practically got full access) and he trusts me a lot more (possibly more than all).
INFPs experience the same phenomena. Virtual strangers unload their personal issues on us and that sort of thing. I think it's just an NF thing to be the "confidante" to others, but we're not used to having it returned.

Questions
It's probably because you're both INFx types, which creates a kindred spirit effect. Despite using different cognitive processes, you both still judge according to feeling (evaluative reasoning), perceive via intuition, and are both introverts. I've bonded quickly with INTPs & INTJs & ENFPs quickly for similar reasons, but because INFJs are feeling types & introverted as well, there is a stronger emotional aspect & mutual understanding, IMO.

I cliqued very quickly with my INFJ ex bf. Be careful not to let it burn out. Sometimes, in these situations, because you've bonded so quickly it can create a feeling of deeper intimacy than really exists. Then something pops the bubble & you realize you don't know each other "factually" as much as you are emotionally connected... this happens with friendships too, not just romances.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
INFP's are great. My younger brother is an INFP and we're super close. I think it's just because we're on the same wavelength since we're both NF's. He's also very laid back and constantly cracking jokes. It is relaxing and a joy to be around him. There is no pressure. We can just be.

Reactions: Cantarella

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
@Lost in Oblivion

You're evil :3

As for a 5w6 with trust... when I suddenly 'connect' with someone my knee-jerk reaction is to mistrust those feelings. Objectively, it makes no sense to trust someone that fast.

I suppose the difference between 6s and 5s is that a 6 has a hyperactive need to want to trust others, whereas the 5 is more prone to supressing it.

Reactions: Lost in Oblivion

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a similar thing with NF's thats quite lovely, I have learnt not to overdo it in one go though, I think because you are both similar it gets easy to go into a bubble with the person and when its burst you end up drifting apart. It's nothing to be too worried about as long as you dont have a unhealthy reliance on him :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a very good friend (might be my best one) who's self-typed as an INFP.

I seem to have an odd quality where people tell me information about themselves which goes beyond 'elevator talk' by a considerable margin (at times it's quite scary - my people reading goes crazy when I'm drunk and push for it). So, he tells me what's bothering him and then the odd part happens, I tell him stuff about me! I'm very, very reserved when it concerns me telling people about my personal/family life and I told him a fairish bit.
This happens to me constantly, at least others telling me rather personal things. I was once in the dentist office and after a short conversation starter the woman cleaning my teeth started telling me about this crush she had in high school. She went on to say how she realized she still had a crush on him even after she got married to her husband, though the feelings were nothing serious.

That is just one example, though. The secrets go much deeper, but they are not mine to share. :)

A sort of rapid creation of trust has happened between me a few times that I can remember; with an ENFJ and an INTJ for certain. Having similar qualities helps the wavelength of communication and bonding to be much easier, N especially.

Of the two people I mentioned, the NFJ is the obvious connection with the ENFJ, as we can talk for hours about things on any topic freely. His extroversion adds to the ease, as he is willing to lead a conversation and be open as many extroverts are. I have no trouble talking to him either because there is a mutual understanding, which seems to be hard to find.

With the INTJ, the INxJ match coupled with the fact that I am a pretty balanced F no doubt caused the INTJ to be willing to expose himself to me. We were both standoff-ish at first, observing and deciding what the next move would be. Yet once the puzzle was solved, it was almost an instant connection. "I'm glad I feel no restraint in telling you this" is one of the best compliments I've received from him.

Finally, it all depends on the person. Type can only go so far; the rest is left up to the people, their experiences with others, and motivations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts