Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel that INFP's tend to be simular to canaries? I was musing on this a while ago, and thought I would inquire as to the thoughts of others.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Does anyone else feel that INFP's tend to be simular to canaries? I was musing on this a while ago, and thought I would inquire as to the thoughts of others.
Hehe, you rat out your mafia buddies? People use you to check mines for poisonous gases? Cute and delicate with a nice voice? Often caged? I could maybe see all of the above... :wink:

Reactions: agreenbough

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
No, bitch, YOU die first, I'm staying over here.

Reactions: Windswept Sky

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have always felt like somewhat of a caged bird... but aside from that, I'm not really sure what you mean. I sure as hell don't want to be the one who has to die so whoever caged me can live >_>;

And I don't really want to feel like a caged bird anymore so I don't want to associate myself with a canary :crazy: I think I'm a bit more of a radio antenna than anything. Always picking up other people's emotions, and then reflecting them back like a mirror... I don't know if this is healthy :unsure:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think we are the emotional canaries. We will die of a poisonous emotional atmosphere quicker than other types.
ahhhh... you gots my meaning. I should probably should have explained my self a bit more, but I wanted to see peoples first reactions.

I dont necesseraly relate to a canary, per say, I was refering more to sensitivity. If theres gas in the mine, we're first to catch a whiff. Our reactions are the first sign, perhaps, if something is going on. And I suppose theres something about part of us being a little yellow bird. It catchs in my mind, for some reason.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I knew the meaning from the title. Emotions are our thing more than any other personality type. We are the most sensitive of them all.

By the way have you noticed that we are losing many canaries and others are extremely sick? I have been watching this for a very long time and it is getting worse not better. Have you seen it too?

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
When I saw the title, I thought of a canary in a coal mine, so I got the gist of it.

I'm good at briefly entering an atmosphere, like a forum or a physical gathering of people, and knowing whether it's healthy or not. Unfortunately, nobody seems to listen when I warn of problems. The perspective of a lone outsider has no value.

Reactions: Jackdaw

·
Registered
751 Posts
If I would compare myself or the INFP to any bird it would be to my late Budgerigar, Chase. He would sit there quietly sometimes in own little world, keeping his thoughts to himself. Other times when on an emotional high he would sing, make lots of noise and move around a lot. Sometimes he would even act like he was stoned, he was a little bit strange that one. He liked to occasionally mimic the usual rhetoric he had heard in pasing, which I must say I also enjoy myself. Finally when he was poked and prodded or irritated in any way, he would bite back.

Finally, the dear bird apparently (according to my uncle who was looking after him at the time) committed suicide when we went on vacation for a week in 2005, most likely thinking we were never coming back. In my books, that makes him a little bit emo as well. I'm tempted to think he may have been an INFP himself (thats if birds are capable of abstract thought of course.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I actually had a pet canary when I was little...even spoke to it about my day, ahaha

Yes, I get the whole mineshaft feeling. When I'm at the dinner table, I can tell immediately if there's going to be a fight, and hurry up to try and finish my meal quickly so I can leave. I get extremely rigid, stiff, and uncomfortable whenever there's unease in the room. I can't even watch shows like The Office because it's just so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...have you noticed that we are losing many canaries and others are extremely sick? I have been watching this for a very long time and it is getting worse not better. Have you seen it too?
I wish I could say I had'nt. Not to thoughtlessly agree with you, but I do know what you mean.
Sometimes I worry that some types are ending up as evolutionary culdesacs, and are slowly being bred out - that other types are better made to deal with todays world.

I say deal, not always help. I wont say that INFP's, or any others, are wonder-oracle-fix-its, but the world needs introspection and dreaming. There needs to be a good balance of ALL, in order for things to work, and everything to be healthy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get extremely rigid, stiff, and uncomfortable whenever there's unease in the room. I can't even watch shows like The Office because it's just so uncomfortable.
Aye, I know that feeling. Gives me a headache, and makes my neck hairs bristle.

Oh, and personally I feel that canaries, and many other species, are capable of abstract thought, but just not in the same way as humans. Just my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts