Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all get friends to take the MBTI test? How do you get those die-hard "individualists" to not be offended by a suggested "commonality"?

Perhaps I am not refined enough to seduce them into MBTI? Many of my friends (or potential romantic pursuits) have felt like I'm trying to "put them in a box." Whatever.

Perhaps my approach should be something other than "Take this test, damn it. We all know we're different. Now sit you're happy ass down so I can figure out where the hell we are the same."

How do you deal when friends of yours get upset by you asking them to take the test?

Is it wrong when I want to date someone but first want to usher a test? It's not so that I can find reason to reject them, rather it's an avenue to understand them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are you asking them Directly?

"Hey, I wanna tessst you.. it's this personality test. have you heard of MGTI?"

They'll go, "Uh wtf? Dude I'm fine. Are you ok?"

Do it indirectly and while you're in a fun conversation, ask a question.

But that's if you are going to actually talk to them.

If you're sending an email or something, I wouldn't do it because I myself would get offended. I wouldn't even go there. I wouldn't send it.
I'll might feel, "Oh wtf, she thinks I'm crazy huh. Doesn't she already know me?!!?"

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hmm, I relate somewhat to this boxed matter, only because the person who I've attempted to convince is too ignorant to open up to alternate perceptions, and having little faith in such a doubted system. I havn't directly offended anyone by asking them to take the MBTI, but I have annoyed someone by ascribing behavior to MBTI terminology. That's when my ESTJ friend issued a paroxysm, and assaulted the MBTI with his priceless rantings; that being, 'you shouldn't box people'.

If I'm to resolve trouble, then I'd pinpoint the relevance in MBTI, how it applies to people and how seemingly 'flawed' it really is. Since the assessment involves 'yes or no' questions, you can only astray it's initial purpose and claim it to be flawed when you answer things untruthfully, or perceive things out of the context it intends to portray.

If you cannot console them fully, then convincing them is the next option; it will change their erroneous beliefs... :tongue:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Are you asking them Directly?

"Hey, I wanna tessst you.. it's this personality test. have you heard of MGTI?"

They'll go, "Uh wtf? Dude I'm fine. Are you ok?"

Do it indirectly and while you're in a fun conversation, ask a question.

But that's if you are going to actually talk to them.

If you're sending an email or something, I wouldn't do it because I myself would get offended. I wouldn't even go there. I wouldn't send it.
I'll might feel, "Oh wtf, she thinks I'm crazy huh. Doesn't she already know me?!!?"
Oops. No wonder my mom won't take it.
But it's worked just fine on everyone else. :mellow:

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I've had this happen a few times. Swish36's advice is key, but even under those situations, people may still become offended, as has happen to me a couple of times. Mostly, now, I attempt to judge their type on my own observations, while getting to know them. Besides them not being offended by being asked to take a test, it can also help you really learn how someone is, beyond your own prejudices concerning how you think they were before.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Hey can you take this personality test for me real quick? I've been researching this typing system and it is fairly interesting. I want you to take the test so I can see what type you get then compare it to the description of others of the same type so I can test the validity of the system. The test isn't that long and if you don't care about the system at all that's cool, but just take it real quick to help me out if you can?
Always works.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i just say, "oh hey! you should totally do this quiz, it's fun! it tells you about personality and stuff." most of my normal, non-dramatic friends are super cool with it and wanna read my results once they've read theirs. :)

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are all good suggestions. I think "keeping it fun" may be key. My approach is not as abrasive as I originally posted, but I do get frustrated at times because they misunderstand my intent.

I guess I just can't relate to the resistance. If anyone were to ask me to do something where there's a potential to find out more about myself, I'm all over it.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dooooon't tell them that you want to know what type they are. You have to somehow make them want to find out for themselves. They'll be more likely to take the test seriously.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dooooon't tell them that you want to know what type they are. You have to somehow make them want to find out for themselves. They'll be more likely to take the test seriously.
Ah, because then they think I'm judging them? I get it. Thanks :wink:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I have referred than a dozen people to MBTI in the time that I have learned of the system. It was always them who initiated the interest, not me. It's just not something that the average person will find of interest. MBTI like the enneagram or astrology for that matter, is only for those who are trying to find themseleves. Most people have a good idea of who they are, because they see it in the roles they play and society dictates it. This distinction goes against my principles, but I can see a S/N divide in people wanting to discuss with others and those who prefer to keep it intimate.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I sent the test to people on facebook, but the ones who didn't want to take it just ignored it. Of course, these are the people I most wanted to take it :crazy: :laughing:.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Ask them specific questions from the test and remember what they say. That way they won't know your "true" intentions :p.

Reactions: OrangeAppled

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Ask them specific questions from the test and remember what they say. That way they won't know your "true" intentions :p.
Sneaky, sneaky - I like! :laughing:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I wouldn't rely on a test to tell you anything about someone, especially if you are thinking of becoming romantically involved. Knowing things will make you over analyze and see things that aren't even there.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I wouldn't rely on a test to tell you anything about someone, especially if you are thinking of becoming romantically involved. Knowing things will make you over analyze and see things that aren't even there.
Completely agree. They will either play a role to your expectations or you will see them with rose colored glasses until you get to know them. That could take years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts