Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much toiling and tossing and turning over what my Enneagram type is, I now declare myself officially clueless as to what my Enneagram type is and am thus, creating a thread like this for the third or fourth time, so I would GREATLY appreciate some help in this regard. If someone could try my instinctual variants as well, that would be great.

Prerequisites

What age range are you in? Sophomore in high school.

Any disorders or conditions we should know about? N/A

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind. What is life, really? What is it when we boil it down to its basic components. An abstract concept rooted in merely in a bunch of carbon atoms, so really, the fundamental goal that resides beneath all surface-level goals is to keep these carbon atoms together. :tongue: In all seriousness, though, I do hope to learn as much as I can and perhaps use my knowledge to create something of lasting intrinsic value while the human race still exists.

2. What were you like as a kid? Incredibly quiet and reserved around people that I didn't known, but extremely playful and lighthearted around people I knew or got comfortable with really quickly. At school, I switched from being quiet in most situations, but very loud and vocal when I had an opinion about something or was really interested in a topic. As for my relationship with students, not that I mind much, but I was always labeled as a nerd, but I think I came, and continue to come off as, not so much aloof, but always either 1) an arrogant, remorseless cynic or 2)a bit of a rude, sarcastic joker.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted? Usually I am on good terms with them, until I feel like my personal peace is being threatened, at which point I generally stand up and make it clear I don't want my territory violated, as I do with many people.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being? Secularism is perhaps my most important value. I started questioning traditional religious beliefs when I was about 11 years of age. At that time, I wasn't very aware of the world. Yet, as I have matured and have studied more about the ways of the world, I have realized that officially promoting religion or the absence of religion is death for a civilization. As a result, I hope to avoid using any power that I have to harm people or tell them what to believe on an individual basis. Yet, I also hope to avoid being intellectually incompetent or not being able to defend myself and thus, try to minimize dependence on others.

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them? I would say existential angst about the nature of life in general and the direction in which my life is going and if I am really in control of my life. Generally, I will try to create a plausible long-term plan for the future which I frequently update or I distract myself with something like reading, listening to music, playing League of Legends, and other things.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
b.) How do you want others to see you?
c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?

a) Fiercely independent but loyal to the few he cares about.
b) As mentioned above, as well as detached, analytical and witty.
c) To be either too quick to commit or being too afraid of authority to tell hard truths (unless you're working for Joseph Stalin or Adolf Hitler, of course.)

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others.
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else.

a) 1
b) 3 (barely)
c) 2

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this? The wandering mind is precisely that, the wandering mind. It wanders from place to place, from images abstract to concrete and can be provoked by any variety of external stimuli.

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst? I feel at my best when I feel like I am actually engaging my mind or my body adequately, but I feel at my worst when I feel like my ability to do something, and it is even worse, if I feel that is being questioned for a good reason.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger
b.) shame
c.) anxiety

a) I am never really hesitant in expressing my anger, although I usually wait a bit before I let it out.
b) It depends on the intensity of the shame. At times, I can waver away slight feelings of shame or embarrassment, but when it runs deep, I may react somewhat temperamentally or sulk quite a bit.
c) I try to analyze the situation and use what I know, sometimes to the point of over-analyzing.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress
b.) negative unexpected change
c.) conflict

a) I'll feel overwhelmed, but generally I'll cover it up with some sarcastic remarks or something of the sort.
b) If I care enough and strongly about it, chances are that I will be extremely angry for a short while, but eventually I'll adapt to the situation.
c) I do enjoy debate and verbal conflict to some degree, but the way I do it is by challenging them either openly or making not-so-subtle hints.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?
b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?
c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?

a) In a group, I'm more inclined to be the one who comes up with a comprehensive idea and tries to carry it out to its full extent, simply because I will probably feel confident in my idea and its effectiveness or because I want my ideas to be valued.

b) Take a firm stance, but take the opinions of a close comrade or two, because let's face it, even the most independent of people have at least one person that they trust.

c) If I like the authority, then no. I won't have any problem with them. If I'm indifferent towards the authority, I may comply just to get it over with. If it's a totalitarian person in charge, then HELL NO! Nobody invades on MY personal space.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
The rationality behind their beliefs or their thinking. Most people I know are inclined to take more of a sympathetic approach to an argument, but I am more fond of looking at the rational side of their argument and if it makes sense.

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.
Very little, if any faith at all, in individual people, but place greater faith in systems that I deem to be good, flawed though they may be, so I make it a policy to always take things with a grain of salt.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?
I identify as an agnostic atheist, meaning that I don't deny the possibility of a God, but until there is evidence supporting the assertion that God exists, then I don't actively believe in a supreme deity. As for my political views, I am socially liberal, but economically centrist, incorporating some leftist and rightist thought, and my religious views may have influenced some of my response to the first question.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You seem like a clear 5w6 to me. Not sure instinctual variant stackings, but I would say SX last or second to last. Possibly SP first.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You seem like a clear 5w6 to me. Not sure instinctual variant stackings, but I would say SX last or second to last. Possibly SP first.

Good luck!
Could I ask what in particular struck you as being 5w6?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Could I ask what in particular struck you as being 5w6?
Sure. I have a few Type 5's in my life, and you talk like them (a lot). So on some level; it's a strong "vibe" thing, which I'm sure grinds your (possible) Type 5 gears. ;) Ha Ha.

Independence, "detached, analytical, and witty", sarcasm, atheism, all of these things scream Type 5. You speak in a very Type 5 manner as well (hard to describe that one, but you just make everything you say seem "intelligent" or "analytical", like you are disseminating a thesis).

Having little faith in humans or life in general, is a very Type 5 thing. Having faith in systems is a Type 6 thing.

You use words like "evidence" and "assertion", as if everything is a science experiment. XD

This could be taken out of a Type 5 textbook:

"The rationality behind their beliefs or their thinking. Most people I know are inclined to take more of a sympathetic approach to an argument, but I am more fond of looking at the rational side of their argument and if it makes sense. "

Type 5-ish: "I do enjoy debate and verbal conflict to some degree, but the way I do it is by challenging them either openly or making not-so-subtle hints."

When I read your Enneagram questionnaire, there is almost no doubt in my mind as to your type. Depending on what you're omitting (if anything), you could be a 5w4 (but I did not hear about much artistic pursuits or the like). So, I'm mostly leaning towards a Type 5w6 (but your wing is up for grabs). You can read more about Type 5 and either wing associated with it here:

http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-forum-investigator/39233-enneatype-5-wings.html

Also, your signature at the end of your post ("I am the only cat that curiosity never killed…") suggests you're curious (Type 5 + Type 6), and your picture reminds me of Type 5 (but also a little bit Type 4).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but your MBTI highly correlates with Enneagram Types 1, 5, and 6 (with 5 + 6 being most common).

I snooped (I was feeling snoopy XD), and I noticed you were also considering Type 8 for yourself (or so it appeared from glancing around your forum activity). Here are some differences between Type 5's and Type 8's (from the Enneagram Institute website, in the "Misidentifications" section):

"These two types are not often mistyped, but share similar attitudes. Eights and Fives both see themselves as outsiders and both feel rejected easily. Both are highly independent, and willing to go to battle with anyone who threatens their independence. Both believe in direct communication, can be aggressive, and tend to protect their vulnerability.

Eights sometimes see themselves as Fives because they go to Five in stress, and therefore recall times when they have withdrawn from others to strategize and think about their future courses of action. Nonetheless, Eights more often deal with problems head on, and can be highly assertive in going after what they want. Fives, by contrast, tend to retreat from others and to cut off from many of their needs in order to avoid risking dependencies.

Eights are highly instinctual and very related to their bodies: they are people of practical action, pragmatism, and sensuality, as a result. Fives tend to stay in their heads more, and often have an ambivalent relationship with their bodies. Staying grounded and practical can be a problem for Fives–it is almost never one for Eights. Compare James Joyce (a Five) with Ernest Hemingway (an Eight)."

Also, I've seen Type 5's disintegrate point 8 (and have a temper quite like a Type 8 when provoked or frustrated).

What do you think of Type 5? Is it a type you've considered for yourself? Do you relate to the Type 5 descriptions?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you already know this, but your MBTI highly correlates with Enneagram Types 1, 5, and 6 (with 5 + 6 being most common).

I snooped (I was feeling snoopy XD), and I noticed you were also considering Type 8 for yourself (or so it appeared from glancing around your forum activity). Here are some differences between Type 5's and Type 8's (from the Enneagram Institute website, in the "Misidentifications" section):

"These two types are not often mistyped, but share similar attitudes. Eights and Fives both see themselves as outsiders and both feel rejected easily. Both are highly independent, and willing to go to battle with anyone who threatens their independence. Both believe in direct communication, can be aggressive, and tend to protect their vulnerability.

Eights sometimes see themselves as Fives because they go to Five in stress, and therefore recall times when they have withdrawn from others to strategize and think about their future courses of action. Nonetheless, Eights more often deal with problems head on, and can be highly assertive in going after what they want. Fives, by contrast, tend to retreat from others and to cut off from many of their needs in order to avoid risking dependencies.

Eights are highly instinctual and very related to their bodies: they are people of practical action, pragmatism, and sensuality, as a result. Fives tend to stay in their heads more, and often have an ambivalent relationship with their bodies. Staying grounded and practical can be a problem for Fives–it is almost never one for Eights. Compare James Joyce (a Five) with Ernest Hemingway (an Eight)."

Also, I've seen Type 5's disintegrate point 8 (and have a temper quite like a Type 8 when provoked or frustrated).

What do you think of Type 5? Is it a type you've considered for yourself? Do you relate to the Type 5 descriptions?
Type 5 is the one I've considered myself the most often, and I do relate quite a bit to the descriptions, except that unlike most Fives, I often prefer to and am good at taking action after I've considered everything that I need to. I've considered 8w9, 6w5, 9w8, and 1w9 in the past as well.

But, you got one part wrong. Five's INTEGRATE into Type 8's. Eights DISINTEGRATE into Type 5's. But, it is very possible that I could have 8 in my tritype, and if I do, it is definitely 8w9 and not 8w7.

Reactions: o0india0o

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I understand the terminology states "integrate" or "disintegrate" blah, blah, blah. But many people have a stronger connection (both good and bad) in one arrow direction or the other. I know many unhealthy Type 5's who have quite the Type 8 temper (they are literally going towards Type 8 to disintegrate).

I think you will find you might relate more to the Type 5's with strong connections to Type 8. You can read about them here (scroll down to "Type Five's Connection to Eight"):

Fine Distinctions: Type Fives | Center for Spiritual Resources

But you sound, act, and look like a Type 5 to me (there was never confusion or pause for me personally about the matter). :)

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Ah,mistake, I meant so/sp
Just overall vibe,sp wouldn't be as active and 8-ish and you don't seem sx first or second

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Maybe 3w4 for heart fix and definitely something with 9 wing for gut but probably not 9
So 8w9 or 1w9 for gut fix? What makes you exclude 9, out of curiosity? I do seem to rather avoid conflict, but assert myself if challenged, so is 9w8 also a possible gut fix? I will concede that while these questionnaires make a good starting point, but they are also quite limited in scope, so perhaps one of these days I'll start a thread that's more like me venting out my thoughts. Perhaps, that will serve to be more accurate.

Reactions: Darkbloom

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind. What is life, really? What is it when we boil it down to its basic components. An abstract concept rooted in merely in a bunch of carbon atoms, so really, the fundamental goal that resides beneath all surface-level goals is to keep these carbon atoms together. :tongue: In all seriousness, though, I do hope to learn as much as I can and perhaps use my knowledge to create something of lasting intrinsic value while the human race still exists.

This is one of the most 5-ish life belief you can find get. Very scientific and matter-of-fact

2. What were you like as a kid? Incredibly quiet and reserved around people that I didn't known, but extremely playful and lighthearted around people I knew or got comfortable with really quickly. At school, I switched from being quiet in most situations, but very loud and vocal when I had an opinion about something or was really interested in a topic. As for my relationship with students, not that I mind much, but I was always labeled as a nerd, but I think I came, and continue to come off as, not so much aloof, but always either 1) an arrogant, remorseless cynic or 2)a bit of a rude, sarcastic joker.

1-5ish intellectual superiority

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted? Usually I am on good terms with them, until I feel like my personal peace is being threatened, at which point I generally stand up and make it clear I don't want my territory violated, as I do with many people.

SP5ish, although 5's generally want privacy

Yet, I also hope to avoid being intellectually incompetent or not being able to defend myself and thus, try to minimize dependence on others.

Very 5

a) Fiercely independent but loyal to the few he cares about.

b) As mentioned above, as well as detached, analytical and witty.

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this? The wandering mind is precisely that, the wandering mind. It wanders from place to place, from images abstract to concrete and can be provoked by any variety of external stimuli.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger
b.) shame
c.) anxiety

a) I am never really hesitant in expressing my anger, although I usually wait a bit before I let it out.
b) It depends on the intensity of the shame. At times, I can waver away slight feelings of shame or embarrassment, but when it runs deep, I may react somewhat temperamentally or sulk quite a bit.
c) I try to analyze the situation and use what I know, sometimes to the point of over-analyzing.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress
b.) negative unexpected change
c.) conflict

a) I'll feel overwhelmed, but generally I'll cover it up with some sarcastic remarks or something of the sort. 1-5
b) If I care enough and strongly about it, chances are that I will be extremely angry for a short while, but eventually I'll adapt to the situation.
3-5

b) Take a firm stance, but take the opinions of a close comrade or two, because let's face it, even the most independent of people have at least one person that they trust.
5ish stance towards relationships

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
The rationality behind their beliefs or their thinking. Most people I know are inclined to take more of a sympathetic approach to an argument, but I am more fond of looking at the rational side of their argument and if it makes sense.

1-5
Your writing style and response is very 5: concise, articulate, and matter-of-fact. For your tritype, I would suggest looking at 135. 1-5s tend to vent anger through sarcasm and witty remarks, in comparison to 1-7s sharp random wits, 5s bring a more quirky and academic kind of humor I would imagine.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being? Secularism is perhaps my most important value. I started questioning traditional religious beliefs when I was about 11 years of age. At that time, I wasn't very aware of the world. Yet, as I have matured and have studied more about the ways of the world, I have realized that officially promoting religion or the absence of religion is death for a civilization. As a result, I hope to avoid using any power that I have to harm people or tell them what to believe on an individual basis. Yet, I also hope to avoid being intellectually incompetent or not being able to defend myself and thus, try to minimize dependence on others.
For the instincts, I would suggest SO-dom because of your several mentions on social issues, systems, religion, and people. 135 is very INTJ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts