Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm. As a fellow (very likely)ISFP, I can relate to many of the things you have told about yourself. And yet, while reading your post I might have felt some N and/or T vibes.

It is possible, though, that your close INTJ and INTP friends have had a strong N/T influence on you. I've had a similar experience with my two closest people having been INFJ and ENFP, as I have gotten a remarkable amount NF influence from them. That has often made me question whether I really am an ISFP or not, but in the end I always end up with the conclusion that yes, I am one. The same thing may very well apply to you - it is possible that you are a true ISFP with a generous dose of N/T.

However, would it be possible for you to point out why exactly you consider yourself ISFP, and not...say INTP, ISTP or something to that direction? What rules the other options out?
Also, you have thoroughly studied the functions, right? It is quite often that the stereotypical type descriptions kind of suck :D If I had only tried to figure my type judging by them, I would be quite lost - in the end, it was the functions that properly shed light onto the matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I feel you. Yes, I've studied the functions by themselves, not taking some old test's word for it. That's why I'm confident! The tests are never quite right. They either peg me as INFP or ISTP. Which isn't a farcry. When individually analyzing the traits for intuition and thinking, I definitely had a couple of their traits but I had more traits on the sensing and feeling side.

What is a person other than the amalgamation of personalities and ideals that others have imparted on them? Nothing, I say. That is the entirety of memetics unless one lives in entire solitude...but we obviously don't. So that said, I don't think I have one ISFP friend. My best friends are INTPs, ISTPs and INFPs. I would certainly say they've influenced me but I am a damn stubborn one, they've never fully converted me to their ways!
Great! Just making sure, although yeah, you did seem so certain that I guessed you probably had looked into the functions :)

It is very true that a big part of our sense of self is created by outside influence. It would be cool to find out how much of it is decided at birth and how much comes from the surrounding people. I kind of like to believe there is already a little bit of something at birth, but you never know. It's interesting to think what might have become of one if their surroundings had been different.

In the end, the MBTI classification appears to be pretty rough. Sometimes it really seems that for some people, it is impossible to fit under any category - and so they can only pick the one they consider the closest. Sometimes I feel frustrated with the ISFP descriptions, but I suppose we have to keep in mind that it's little more than a rough box. I like the idea of seeing the type system as a spectrum with an endless amount of unique possibilities, where venturing slightly out of the box can be common.

I am not too good at typing people accurately, so I don't know if this ended up being of much help... But if you really feel that you are an ISFP, it is quite likely that you are one, too. A relatively heavy use of intuition and thinking won't shut you out :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts