Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I feel like I've messed up several oil paintings because the paint colors get too muddy. Do I wait for it to dry then paint over it? Do I thin it out with mineral spirits? Do I add a shit ton of white on top? How do you fix a muddy painting?

Here's an example:

19429865_1897148013944194_3492346092444353937_n.jpg

Basically I used too much red and blended it with yellow and brown and white and it all turned the same color. Then i tried to darken it up in places with black but I couldn't get it to contrast enough. I wanted to paint palm trees lol.

19366609_1896586224000373_9127180549786893916_n.jpg

In this one it all kind of turned purple. I wanted the colors to be punchier but it's more muted.
Help me save these please.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,065 Posts
Whatever you did to those examples has a nice effect.

I used to work a lot with oil paint and remember how hard it is to get the colour and texture right :D Maybe start with a thin watered down layer than apply the details and texture after it dries. I used a brush for the details.

Have you tried Oil Bars? Basically oil paint but more dry and easier to work with.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,807 Posts
That article has good advice. I find it helps me to plan and mix my colors ahead of time, and play with the proportions til I get it the way I like it. It also helps to know that warm torqouisie blues mix better with yellow to make green, as do cooler lemony yellows. warmer orangy yellows mix better with reds to make oranges as do bright cadmium reds. Deeper reds make better purples as to cooler blues. If you use the opposite color to the colors that make ideal secondary colors, you're going to find the colors less vibrant that if you choose the better one.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi. I feel like I've messed up several oil paintings because the paint colors get too muddy. Do I wait for it to dry then paint over it? Do I thin it out with mineral spirits? Do I add a shit ton of white on top? How do you fix a muddy painting?
Yes, you should definitely wait for it to dry before adding any other colors because otherwise everything mixes together. What I do is mix the color how I want it on the palette, then apply it to the canvas. I then move to another area that is dry to apply new paint.

You can thin the oil paint with turpenoid but many painters use a painting medium such as Liquin. The oil paint needs to be mixed with a painting medium. Also, hopefully you applied several layers of acrylic gesso to the canvas before applying any paint. While canvases usually already have some priming medium on them when you buy them, it's only a very thin layer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts