Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAC for me. I hate windows with a passion. They won't allow MACs on our network at work, so I have to use one there, but when your IT dept locks out your admin rights, I want to go hunt them down with a gun...

·
Registered
247 Posts
PC. I don't hate mac, I just build my own computers and do all of my own repairs, and I know PCs inside and out, whereas mac seems to be made for people who would rather not know how a computer works or how to fix one when it's damaged. I thought about building a Hackintosh, but it's just not that important to me. Although I do understand that once you own a mac, your hair gets ten times cooler, you gain popularity, your clothes are suddenly fashionable, and you immediately start listening to Radiohead and Wilco, so I see the draw.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
PC. I don't hate mac, I just build my own computers and do all of my own repairs, and I know PCs inside and out, whereas mac seems to be made for people who would rather not know how a computer works or how to fix one when it's damaged. I thought about building a Hackintosh, but it's just not that important to me. Although I do understand that once you own a mac, your hair gets ten times cooler, you gain popularity, your clothes are suddenly fashionable, and you immediately start listening to Radiohead and Wilco, so I see the draw.
Many Mac users have used or do use PCs too.
I've built, rebuilt and repaired plenty of computers, PCs. I eventually got tired of it.

I really have nothing against PCs, it's just that I can't stand Windows and I completely loathe Micro$oft.

Ever since I got a Mac I spend way less time fixing my computer, which gives me more time for other things.

Basically things just work when you use a Mac. No juggling of drivers, none of that silly backwards compatibility for legacy hardware, no stupid drive letter hierarchy or ports that have to be reconfigured.
I plug in my camera and it works. I plug in my printer and it works. I plug in my scanner and it works. I plug in a network connection and it works.

·
Registered
247 Posts
^^ yeah, yeah, I know :tongue:

I've got THOUSANDS of dollars in software (work related) that I'd have to replace, so switching to mac isn't just a matter of buying a new system.

I'm not a fan of microsoft either, and I refuse to use any Windows version past XP. I'm sure one day I'll go down the mac route, but I won't do it because people told me it was sooo much better. Or because of how much cooler people will think I am. It'll be because I have the money to replace all this freaking software, and I actually feel like having something shiny and new on my desk. Hasn't happened yet, though. Nothing anyone says about mac "just working" compels me. But maybe when I'm all old and crotchety, I'll want something nice and simple too :tongue::tongue:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Forget Macs.
Apple is good for one thing and one thing only.

Toys.

Forget the ipad, and iphone
why?

because
its only 30 seconds.....no big deal rant

besides google is going to own everything. 25 years down the road (probably less) all computers will be phones (all phones will be then run on andriod) and we will no longer have to look back at two shitty companies ever again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't go around trumpeting Windows over Mac, but I just don't see the point of the Mac.

They now use the same processors as PC's, so that edge they used to have when doing video/photo editing is gone. And if you use say, Photoshop, it's the same on either so again, what's the point?

I like that I can build my own custom PC's, with whatever components I chose to purchase. I can slot in whatever graphics/soundcard/peripherals of my choice.

The only thing I will say about Apple's products is that they are very aesthetically pleasing. But past that, I don't see anything that would persuade me into switching over.

What also steers me away from Apple is their marketing. Mac vs PC ads, like PC's are some boring piece of crap. I didn't know my electronics needed to be hip and trendy, I guess I missed that memo. All of their products are supposed to be these revolutionary devices, but all of the technology that went into them already existed in some place or another. All they usually do is combine current technology, and put it in some nice aesthetically pleasing form factor that you can't fix yourself without voiding the warranty.

Then there's the "I don't have to worry about viruses" argument. Well, if you really don't want to worry about viruses, Linux wins.

Magsafe power connector for laptops? Cool, I'll grant them that, but this technology is easily thwarted by, hrm... I dunno, maybe looking out for your surroundings? I guess if you are always around clumsy people then maybe it is a necessary feature.

Really, I think it boils down to what tools you need to do what you need to do. Windows or Linux do everything I need on a PC machine, and I know everything behind the scenes that I can change if things aren't working.

...sorry if this post turned more into a rant but I just don't get the advantage of macs.

Oh and as response to IT locking people out from having admin rights, they do it to reduce the amount of headache for them. It stops ypeople from making any changes to system files. For people who don't know what they're doing playing around in settings they shouldn't, or people who are prone in clicking E-mails with attachments from people they don't know, it makes sense. Sure it's aggravating but for the majority of people, there's no real reason they need to have admin rights on their workstations.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
It's not that PCs suck, because there are plenty of very nice incredibly powerful PC machines out there. It's that Windows sucks. So the advantage of a Mac over a Windows PC is the Operating System. Yes, I know there are other Operating Systems available. Heck, I even have a copy of UBUNTU for my older iBook!
OSX is a heavy duty full featured, fully capable OS, with UNIX at it's roots.

I don't go around trumpeting Windows over Mac, but I just don't see the point of the Mac.

They now use the same processors as PC's, so that edge they used to have when doing video/photo editing is gone. And if you use say, Photoshop, it's the same on either so again, what's the point?

I like that I can build my own custom PC's, with whatever components I chose to purchase. I can slot in whatever graphics/soundcard/peripherals of my choice.

The only thing I will say about Apple's products is that they are very aesthetically pleasing. But past that, I don't see anything that would persuade me into switching over.

What also steers me away from Apple is their marketing. Mac vs PC ads, like PC's are some boring piece of crap. I didn't know my electronics needed to be hip and trendy, I guess I missed that memo.

Then there's the "I don't have to worry about viruses" argument. Well, if you really don't want to worry about viruses, Linux wins.

Magsafe power connector for laptops? Cool, I'll grant them that, but this technology is easily thwarted by, hrm... I dunno, maybe looking out for your surroundings? I guess if you are always around clumsy people then maybe it is a necessary feature.

Really, I think it boils down to what tools you need to do what you need to do. Windows or Linux do everything I need on a PC machine, and I know everything behind the scenes that I can change if things aren't working.

...sorry if this post turned more into a rant but I just don't get the advantage of macs.

Oh and as response to IT locking people out from having admin rights, they do it to reduce the amount of headache for them. It stops ypeople from making any changes to system files. For people who don't know what they're doing playing around in settings they shouldn't, or people who are prone in clicking E-mails with attachments from people they don't know, it makes sense. Sure it's aggravating but for the majority of people, there's no real reason they need to have admin rights on their workstations.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Honestly, it was an ISTP who introduced me to the Mac so I just figured. ISTP = Mac. No? :unsure:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically things just work when you use a Mac. No juggling of drivers, none of that silly backwards compatibility for legacy hardware, no stupid drive letter hierarchy or ports that have to be reconfigured.
I plug in my camera and it works. I plug in my printer and it works. I plug in my scanner and it works. I plug in a network connection and it works.
Yeah, I used to only have linux loaded on my laptops, but got tired of spending hours trying to get things to work properly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ yeah, yeah, I know :tongue:

I've got THOUSANDS of dollars in software (work related) that I'd have to replace, so switching to mac isn't just a matter of buying a new system.
Just pay $89 for VMWare Fusion and then you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Well, there's absolutely no reason to fork out a retarded sum for a Mac including its Apple Logo if you don't actively make use of what the Mac is superior at: Multimedia of almost any sort (Pictures, Music, Videos). Macs are vastly under supported but from Apple themselves, so if you're even a tad of a gamer it's a no go already. At least Blizzard bestows you with an occasional title. Not entirely sure how well Macs are in regards to VMs, but VMs still tend to emulate VGA's rather than using the actual hardware denying you everything but oldshool titles from the 98SE era. If you wind up spending 90% of your time in VMs on a Mac emulating Windows to run software might as well use a regular PC in the first place.

Also, as lawsuits have proven MacOS can be installed on regular PCs, companies that did that though got sued into the ground by apple for using the OS 'with not Apple certificated hardware' (well, the reason was along those lines anyway). I can't talk bad about an ipod, but everything besides that is an utter waste of money for a company trying to spare themselves from competition with their patents.

I've never had much issues running Windows. Vista undoubtedly was crap but I had to use it due to XP 64 having been a undersupported stepchild as well. Ever since Windows 7 however I've not had a single issue anymore, I consider it definitely their allround best.

Usually its the users fault if computers bite the dust eventually. Up to this day I haven't killed any kind of hardware, but for a HDD dying on me once in over 12 years. Well, my LAN Onboard on my P4 board died as well eventually, but after 2.x years of good service the 5 bucks for an ethernet card weren't exactly a fortune :mellow:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I have a PC. I've grown up with them, and I know how to use them, so that's what I stick with. I have nothing against Macs though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've owned PCs with Windows (and DOS before that) for a long time. I tried Linux and it was just too much effort to even get it running, it was just not worth it to me. A three years ago I wanted to buy a notebook and as I was studying computer science and had never used a Mac before, I thought I'll just try the mac to have another OS that I know my way around. My notebook (with apple on campus discount) was about the same price as a Windows Notebook with the same hardware. So why not try it? If all had gone wrong, I could've used Windows on the machine.

After using it for a while I have to say: The mac is not perfect, but it is still so much better than the PC. If you don't depend on a special software only available for Windows (including games), I don't see a reason why you would want to use Windows. It takes a while to adjust from Windows to Mac, but I think for somebody who doesn't know computers, the Mac would be much easier to get to know how to use. That's why I can't understand why Windows is still so dominant.

I now have a Macbook Pro with a Solid State Disk and I love it. I hate to wait and the machine is really fast and it can do everything I need to do. I've got a PS3 for games, so after I moved to a new flat in april I haven't even unpacked my desktop PC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
PC with a *nix distro. I have had little to no problems with linux and the ones I do have are enjoyable to fix.

the OS X from a windows view is pops up in my mind when I hear people talking about macs.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Function over form here so id would have to go.... Linux then windows then Mac.

Basically where the stereotype for ISTPs is a gearhead, I have replaced the car with the computer for all my tweaking and upgrading needs XD

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I run a mac for work as a Windows systems administrator. :laughing:

In all seriousness, I'm very pragmatic when it comes to computers. I wouldn't have put my own money on a mac, but seeing as a new 15" MacBook Pro was in the same price range as the Lenovo T510 I would have bought as a replacement for my old laptop, I thought why not try it out? So far, I'm extremely satisfied with both the computer and the operating system. I did "cheat", running a hackintosh at home for a few months before I bought the MBP, though, to make sure I could do everything I needed with OS X.

So: Likes and dislikes.
I like how OS X and the applications I use are lightning fast (especially since I replaced the hard drive with an SSD). I like how it's basically UNIX with all the power that comes with it. I dislike how it's very much like running a Linux/BSD system whenever I want to do anything that old Steve didn't think his users would like to do (think programming and installation of anything but standard packages).
It's not that it can't be done, it's just that when everything else is so simple and straight-forward to achieve, I just can't be bothered to "pop the hood" on this particular system, even though I know I don't lack the actual know-how, having used Linux and BSD in different constellations since the mid-nineties.

As I said, I'm administering a corporate network based on Windows servers, and I've been running Microsoft systems actively (as a hobbyist and later professionally) since MSDOS 5. (EDIT: Yes, just 5, nothing else.) If you want to get a de facto standard system up and running quickly, Windows is the way to go nine times out of ten. Also, if you want to do any gaming, Windows is the way to go just about ten times out of ten, as stated earlier.

Linux is a great system for specific tasks, but if you're dealing with real world problems, if you're communicating with other companies, if you have a real life staff consisting of normal users, it's simply a no-go anywhere but in the server room.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
linux > mac > windows

It all depends on what you want to do. Once youve managed to setup a stable linux build and got it running you dont ever have to upgrade it again and it will still work down the line. You may not have all of the flashy new gizmos on your desktop but is that why you own one? It has a purpose and for me the purpose is information gathering, analyzing and generating. I can do everything i want on this laptop (par gaming) and only once a year when i am really bored, i spend a day reconfiguring and updating everything.
The deal with linux however is that since most people arent tech savy or love to get to know how your system really works they end up trying ubuntu or something very very simplistic where you have very little control on what you are doing. Once you figure out the system and how to use it and use a source code based system you gain a stable, optimized system for just -your- computer that just works. All the options are open to you that were closed shut in windows for good. You dont even have to code to get stuff working, just basic knowledge and google is enough.

As for macs. They are actually quite decent. Par the high price tag, they are worth the cash. The design part isnt that important but rather the fact that it is so dumb user friendly that anyone can get it to work and not manage to break it for a long time. With enough knowledge of how to use the system you can change around stuff that you were restricted in windows. It also has a lot of support for almost all of the software which most people use for their hobbies / work.

Windows however... the nuisance of the world. Even if you do pick it up then within 6 months of normal usage it will start to grow slower. You are restricted on what you can or cant do. It is however very useful for gaming which is... what most young people do with their computer before they grow up. The only time i suggest someone to get windows based computer is if they are 12 or less. That doesnt happen often. Driver support is a bit better for the latest tech but all of it works with a bit (most of the time none) work in linux aswell.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts