Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically this has been bugging me for so long, I've been an ISFP my whole life but recently I've thought maybe I'm not, for mainly this following reasons:
- I'm extremely disorganized and I don't really care about getting school work done and I'm the most indecisive person you will ever meet, HOWEVER somehow I get angry very easily, I can be judgmental (in my mind) about what people do, and even though I'm always running late I still get stressed when I do.
- I've always THOUGHT I sympathized and empathized with people, but lately I'm thinking maybe I'm just tricking myself into thinking I'm doing that, because I WANT to be compassionate and understanding. So I actually can't tell how much I care about things.
- I like arguing with people I really know, and I don't back down. And I'm stubborn.
I'm going a bit insane because there are lots of reasons that makes me believe I'm an ISFP, but I won't make this go any longer. Ok, here we are.
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Female, 17, kind of stressed most of the time (just about school work, friends etc).

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

First impression was that it was dark, a little scary, very very detailed and clear rocks. Never ending. Then I thought maybe if I saw it in real life with colour, it would probably seem a lot different to what I'm looking at now, and would be great to sit on top of it so I could look down at the view.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
Thoughts: "Oh freaking fantastic, of course this would happen. I should of known that something this awesome couldn't go so smoothly."
Outward reaction: I would probably try to get everyone to calm down and try to get them to see the not-so-dark side of the situation, and see what everybody else thinks we should do seeing as I'm not usually the type to take control of those situations.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I don't think I would really want to go, I would rather just go home. But I would go anyway cause most of the time the thought of doing something is terrible but then when I actually go it's a lot better.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
Thoughts: Get excited that I get to argue with someone I know about something I have strong opinions about. And I would feel all fluttery because such a great opportunity has risen haha.
Outward: Disagree with them, and start an argument. Not a full on 'we're in a fight' argument though, just you know, like a fun debate.
5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I'm not really sure seeing as it's never happened to me, but I think it depends on who did/said it, where it was, how many people were there and who, there could just be a lot of extraneous variables so I can't really say.
6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Religion - I don't like it when people argue about religion because I think it's pointless, and I don't understand why anyone does it, as no one can ever know what's real and what's not. Things are never usually black or white so I just don't understand how people haven't gotten that by now.
Bullying - Never understood how someone could possibly bully another person, no matter what their circumstances are. And especially with all these suicides happening, I don't get why people still do it and even more so if someone sees it happening, how they can just stand there and not say anything about it.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
A) Well if it's around my friends, it would be that I'm very opinionated and will stick to my guns with basically anything. If it's around people I don't know, it's probably that I am extremely shy and don't really say much. (This is because I'm afraid I'll say something wrong.)
B) I would like to stop being so shy and quiet, I think it would make me a lot happier. Or I would like to stop overthinking everything.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I tend to go with my gut feelings in personal situations like if I'm giving advice to someone I don't really say what makes sense I just say what feels right, if that makes sense which probably doesn't.
9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
A) Going on roller coasters energizes me a lot, and having an argument about something I care about energizes me too, because both of these things get my adrenaline going.
B) Homework absolutely, mostly maths. Maths drains the hell out of me, it makes me more tired than anything else basically, because it takes a lot of effort for me to do it; I'm not good at it.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

A lot of the time I repress my feelings, because I have a lot of them, and it's gotten me in trouble in the past. It ruined one of my very important friendships, and I don't want people to hate me or anything for it. I don't repress all of them though, just some.

I'm sorry that this is so long, I really appreciate anyone who answers this :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm sorry, I won't do what I'm supposed to and reply based on the questionnaire. But hey, I'm an ENTJ, it's expected ;) I will, however give helpful advice that helped me in my journey of figuring out my type. Research the cognitive functions separately and see what fits best... Feeler or thinker? Judger or perceiver? While ISFP and ISTJ might both seem similar and suitable to you, if you look at these traits individually it will help simplify things for you, as they are worlds apart.

Lastly, I will leave you with some links:
Thinker-Feeler Differences (this represents the true Jungian functions and shows that feelers can be logical and thinkers can be emotional. Their differences are... Different than what people think.
The Difference Between Judgers and Perceivers in Myers-Briggs and Jungian Typing | Philosopher Geek

Cheers! Feel free to quote me, PM me, or leave a visitor message if I helped!

Reactions: TheGirlWithTheCurls

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
How many times have you now made a thread and how many times have you been told that you are ISFP? lol
Inferior Te can also account for the judgmental thing.

I can be judgmental (in my mind) about what people do
This following is an IFP describing an incident of inferior Te
I was invited to deliver a lecture on my area of specialization in philosophy at an annual philosophical society meeting.
Although I was somewhat anxious,as this would be my first major presentation, I was excited about it and quite pleased with my professors’high opinion of me.I was told that several philosophers who were experts in my area might be attending my presentation.The lecture was attended by over 100 people.
I introduced my talk with a brief overview of the philosophical system underlying my approach.I had been speaking for about ten minutes when a man at the back of the room began shaking his head vigorously.In that instant I knew that he was one of the “experts” that I must have made some egregious error,was making a fool of myself,and was in danger of continuing to do so. All my thoughts flew from my head! My choice was either to persevere and forge ahead with a high risk of making further stupid statements or to mortify myself by being unable to continue. Under the circumstances,the first option was the lesser evil. I recovered and continued,though with quite a bit of uneasiness.
At the end of my lecture,the man who had been shaking his head came up to me and said,“I’m sorry to ask you to repeat something you said during your lecture,but I have a terrible ear infection and I couldn’t clear my ears enough to be able to hear you.”I realized that his head shaking was an attempt to unclog his ears not a negative comment on what I was saying.However,my readiness to distrust my knowledge was clearly a sign that I was insecure and thus basically incompetent.I interpreted my quickness to “lose it”as a way of unconsciously chastising myself for my arrogance in thinking too well of myself.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many times have you now made a thread and how many times have you been told that you are ISFP? lol
Inferior Te can also account for the judgmental thing.

This following is an IFP describing an incident of inferior Te
Rude. Why does it matter to you? And because currently this it what happens in my mind every day. Something bad will happen to a friend. Inwardly I will be thinking two different things: "Aw, that must suck" and "Get over it." It's like there's two different people in my mind at all times, and then once I start thinking about whether I actually care about peoples feelings or if I just wish I was a sympathetic person I start to over think it, and then it goes on all day and I start to think I'm a terrible person for not feeling worse for other peoples sufferings.
THEN I start to think of how angry and uptight I am about everything, and I start to think hang on why am I like this, that doesn't make any sense I thought ISFPs were supposed to be relaxed. I'm not relaxed.
I think I'm only ever kind to some people for the image of being kind. And I know that's an awful thing to say and think but I can't help it, I don't understand how that thought got into my head and why I care so much about what people think of me.
THEN I think, my entire family and friends are thinkers, so that doesn't make sense to me how I turned out to be a feeler cause I thought this was supposed to be in genetics.
There are constantly two different thoughts in my mind going in completely opposite directions and now I have a headache just thinking about it.
So yeah, I'm sorry if my confusion @Acerbusvenator if my posts are pissing you off but frankly I just don't care, you didn't have to answer it. Yeah that's another thing, I do care because now I feel like anyone who is reading this will hate me and think I'm crazy (Which I probably am) which I certainly do care about. Far out.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
No problem. Tho I didn't say it with an intent to be rude. Thus I added the "lol"
You should read what you wrote tho and then look at the part I quoted about inferior Te and how he thought that just because the guy was shaking his head, he was implying something negative.

Also, I'm the only person with FeTi in my immediate family, tho I got 2 grandparents with Fe, one ESFJ and one ISFJ.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rude. Why does it matter to you? And because currently this it what happens in my mind every day. Something bad will happen to a friend. Inwardly I will be thinking two different things: "Aw, that must suck" and "Get over it." It's like there's two different people in my mind at all times, and then once I start thinking about whether I actually care about peoples feelings or if I just wish I was a sympathetic person I start to over think it, and then it goes on all day and I start to think I'm a terrible person for not feeling worse for other peoples sufferings.
THEN I start to think of how angry and uptight I am about everything, and I start to think hang on why am I like this, that doesn't make any sense I thought ISFPs were supposed to be relaxed. I'm not relaxed.
I think I'm only ever kind to some people for the image of being kind. And I know that's an awful thing to say and think but I can't help it, I don't understand how that thought got into my head and why I care so much about what people think of me.
THEN I think, my entire family and friends are thinkers, so that doesn't make sense to me how I turned out to be a feeler cause I thought this was supposed to be in genetics.
There are constantly two different thoughts in my mind going in completely opposite directions and now I have a headache just thinking about it.
So yeah, I'm sorry if my confusion @Acerbusvenator if my posts are pissing you off but frankly I just don't care, you didn't have to answer it. Yeah that's another thing, I do care because now I feel like anyone who is reading this will hate me and think I'm crazy (Which I probably am) which I certainly do care about. Far out.
I really don't think he was being rude, he seemed to be amused by your indecision. It took a while for me to accept my type too. That example he gave of the IFP giving a presentation was an excellent example of how I'm sure I would have reacted in a similar situation....Thanks, Inferior Te!..:frustrating:...it is funny though.

Trust me ISFPs aren't the epitome of relaxation...We just appear that way to others. We keep things inside a lot. I think Fi would definitely make a person stubborn because of all the strong subjective values. When I was a teenager, I had to deal with a lot of stress, some of it was external, but much of it was internal.

ISFPs are like fine wine, we get much better with age. Don't be so hard on yourself by being so over-analytical.

If you really want a good definition of the ISFP, you should try studying the cognitive functions. The order of preference for us ISFPs is Fi Se Ni Te....Fi is strongest, Te is weakest. However, these are the 4 which we use regularly. The cognitive functions are about our thought processes, not about "do ALL ISFPs love animals?" or other weird ideas like that. It's not about what our favorite hobbies are, it's about how we think about things.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really don't think he was being rude, he seemed to be amused by your indecision. It took a while for me to accept my type too. That example he gave of the IFP giving a presentation was an excellent example of how I'm sure I would have reacted in a similar situation....Thanks, Inferior Te!..:frustrating:...it is funny though.

Trust me ISFPs aren't the epitome of relaxation...We just appear that way to others. We keep things inside a lot. I think Fi would definitely make a person stubborn because of all the strong subjective values. When I was a teenager, I had to deal with a lot of stress, some of it was external, but much of it was internal.

ISFPs are like fine wine, we get much better with age. Don't be so hard on yourself by being so over-analytical.

If you really want a good definition of the ISFP, you should try studying the cognitive functions. The order of preference for us ISFPs is Fi Se Ni Te....Fi is strongest, Te is weakest. However, these are the 4 which we use regularly. The cognitive functions are about our thought processes, not about "do ALL ISFPs love animals?" or other weird ideas like that. It's not about what our favorite hobbies are, it's about how we think about things.
Yeah I know sorry, I'm just frustrated, I just want to be able to post threads without people telling me I post them too much haha. It's hard to explain lol. Thank you for your input @Acerbusvenator. :)
Oh okay, so how about ISFPs not being afraid of confrontation? Can that happen? Cause all I eeeever read is just "ISFPs are so mellow and relaxed and they don't start any fights because they dont like confrontation.." and blahh all that. It just confuses me. Maybe since I'm a teenager I have more angst built up or something haha.

I've tried looking at the functions, but I just think the main problem was that cause I feel like there's 'two different minds' in my head, it's really difficult to actually say what I'm actually like. Thank you very much for reading that though :)

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp ESI
10,882 Posts
Oh okay, so how about ISFPs not being afraid of confrontation? Can that happen? Cause all I eeeever read is just "ISFPs are so mellow and relaxed and they don't start any fights because they dont like confrontation.." and blahh all that. It just confuses me. Maybe since I'm a teenager I have more angst built up or something haha.
Sure it can happen and happens all the time.
MBTI is more a description about how you reason about and perceive the world.
It holds no prescription about content of reasoning or what to be perceived.
Watch the movie "Point Break" and reflect on the ISFP badguy played by Patrick Swayze.
He is down to earth and spiritual, but not afraid of conflict.

Point Break (1991) - IMDb

The Enneagram is the place to look if you wonder about your approach to conflict not MBTI.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it has something to do with the fact that INTJ is the "shadow side" of the ISFP. These types have the same cognitive functions, but the other way round.. INTJ is Ni-Te-Fi-Se, while ISFP is Fi-Se-Ni-Te. So you'd be alike in a way.
Maybe you're trying to gain control over your extroverted Thinking? It's the cold logical side you're dealing with anyway (which seems like intj/istj energy).
Feeling like you could be a istj/intj is just part of the ISFP-thing.

I have no doubts about you being an ISFP, really.

btw, INTJ's are a bit controlled and rational, but they also seem to have a warm/funny side to them.. kind of an "ISFP side".

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah I know sorry, I'm just frustrated, I just want to be able to post threads without people telling me I post them too much haha. It's hard to explain lol. Thank you for your input @Acerbusvenator. :)

I've tried looking at the functions, but I just think the main problem was that cause I feel like there's 'two different minds' in my head, it's really difficult to actually say what I'm actually like. Thank you very much for reading that though :)
I really don't think ISFPs seek confrontation, but our sensitivity can make us lash out defensively. This can make us look aggressive, I believe. I have a habit of reacting before thinking when I feel threatened and it was much worse when I was younger. People didn't mess with me much.

When you talk about the 2 different minds, maybe you're confusing your true self with the self you let others see and know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.