Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ESFP, SEE-ESFp (Fi Subtype), 3w4 sx/so with 378 tritype
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you remember the old times when MLG, rage comic face, Illuminati confirmed used to be the trending memes back in 2015 and earlier, you know when memes we're simply a light hearted humor?

Modern memes of today seem to focus on mocking/slandering a group or culture of people, being overly political and generaly just being unfunny, and keeps being worse and worse every year.

Like I get that It's true about Simps, a culture of people who obsess with camgirls and date sites, but I mean they like existed ever since the creation of social media for a very long time, so why the simp meme appeared just now? Like yes, It's true, but I dont find it any funny or a material worth of creating a meme out of it. And to be honest, the Simp meme just makes me feel being shit for being part of the male species, since majority of males chase after attractive girls, I mean thats how nature is built upon, y'know.

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,914 Posts
Do any of you remember the old times when MLG, rage comic face, Illuminati confirmed used to be the trending memes back in 2015 and earlier, you know when memes we're simply a light hearted humor?
I don't think that anything has changed. Certain memes come and go, but in general nothing has really changed.

·
Registered
ESFP, SEE-ESFp (Fi Subtype), 3w4 sx/so with 378 tritype
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that anything has changed. Certain memes come and go, but in general nothing has really changed.
Yes, alot has changed. Memes back then we're simply funny and are there to make us laugh and lighten up. Modern memes focus on some shitty moral and political values that nobody cares about, with the only sole purpose to piss off a certain group or culture of people.

"Enjoyed by boomers" who the fuck wrote that? Most of the old memes are from 2007 to 2013, they are remotely far from the boomer generation, also most of those memes are usualy enjoyed by young people back then.

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,914 Posts
Yes, alot has changed. Memes back then we're simply funny and are there to make us laugh and lighten up. Modern memes focus on some shitty moral and political values that nobody cares about, with the only sole purpose to piss off a certain group or culture of people.
I dunno, I often see normal memes in computer reddits and in slav reddits (soobriddits :D).

"Enjoyed by boomers" who the fuck wrote that? Most of the old memes are from 2007 to 2013, they are remotely far from the boomer generation, also most of those memes are usualy enjoyed by young people back then.
I can agree that these titles like boomer, millennial are fucking cancer of memes. Pretty much nobody outside USA can fully understand them and even if they understood them, then not being able to relate. Pretty much like phrases "blue collar" and "white collar" are incomprehensible for non-native English speakers and I doubt that even brits use them. Now that crap along with imperial unit system should just burn in hell.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
TBH memes just happen to me. Like, I'll be walking down the street and one will slap me in the face and I'll be like, "woah! Didn't expect that". So they're not so much on my radar as I am on theirs, which scares me six ways from the day of the sun.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Memes then were just silly pictures on the internet, memes now are like an inside joke on social media about communist Russia or something like that, or you just get those boring normie pages that just post screenshots of popular "relatable" tweets like "haha omg does anyone else just like have a bad hair day sometimes looool xDDDd"

·
Registered
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,468 Posts
I don't really see the problem. It's just a joke. There's no meme ministry sat around a desk determining who today's target is, people just collectively agree on what they find funny and make jokes about it until it gets stale. I'm pretty sure every straight guy has simped a girl at some point in their life at least, and people making the jokes know that, they're just having fun. Don't take it so personally.

There are political memes and there are apolitical memes, not everything has an ideology behind it.

·
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,810 Posts
Maybe you're too young to remember but back in my early days on the internet I remember a lot of memes that were all about shock humor with the purpose of being the most offensive (I remember a ton of 9/11 memes) and were often connected to Encyclopedia Dramatica, 4chan or other sites like that. It's how I learned about 2girls1cup and other things I don't wish to bring up...
I saw the troll face image so damn much. Oh and the word fag / faggot would be thrown around really liberally, not so much today. Maybe they still do that in certain places, but not where I spend time online.

Sometimes there was more innocent memes though like Rickrolling, lolcat pictures or Zelda-CDi youtube poops and other things of that nature, but the internet from my earliest memories has always been like a wild west where you had to develop a sort of resilience otherwise you will get offended a lot and maybe get told to "gtfo the internet."

Point is nothing much has changed, every group of person has been attacked on the internet "for the lulz."

These days though the memes seem pretty tame in comparison, or perhaps I either don't pay much attention or I've just grown up and seen worse to not be bothered by trolls being trolls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts