Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this is an INTP thing:

It always has bothered me when most people talk differently to old people and children than they would to anyone else. How can I describe this... they tend to talk in a higher pitched voice and talk to them like they are babies. They aren't being mean, quite the opposite, it is like they are trying to be "extra nice" (honestly I have no idea what is going through their minds).

Personally I can't stand this and feel awkward when I'm around and someone does this. I talk to children and old people in the same tone I would use for someone my own age. It's a tone of respect, regardless of what point that person is in his or her life.

Just wondering if any INTP's can relate and know exactly what I'm talking about...

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yep. Another sphincter-clenching peeve of mine too. I have always talked to them all the same way I would anyone else.

On a lighter note - I tried to teach my cousin's 6 mo. old how to shake hands because I refused to kiss or be kissed by a stranger. :proud:

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I'm a sometimes-INTP and I feel this. (see what i did thar :3). I think it's belittling and it makes me uncomfortable.

Reactions: Promethea

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I view and treat the very young like inexperienced people, but I do show a lot of respect for the elderly and feel myself kinda do a military-like come to 'attention' sometimes.

I enjoy the elderly supremely. I would rather share a bottle of scotch with 65+ year old people than most groups. I look at them like living books of wisdom.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
When I was a child I hated it when people tried to "dumb down" their speech when they talked to me, automatically assuming I wasn't mature or smart enough to understand what they were trying to say normally. All my life I've hated it when people insulted my intelligence and that was just another example of it.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I didn't like it done to me as a child, and I refuse to do it to others.

Another related pet peeve is when a person crouches down (sits on their heels?) to talk to you...whether you're a child or an adult. I see this a lot at restaurants, and it's annoying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another related pet peeve is when a person crouches down (sits on their heels?) to talk to you...whether you're a child or an adult. I see this a lot at restaurants, and it's annoying.
A lot of salesman do this, because it's a body language technique(?) where they level their height and eye contact with yours(to connect with them more and to make them feel like you're not talking down to them). If I recall correctly...... it's body submissive language. I didn't think anyone would be annoyed with this, or even pick up on the fact that others do this. Funny how it comes across annoying to some people and welcoming to others haha

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
THANK YOU. I'm glad I'm not the only asshole who gets annoyed at that.

Selfish Reason: I don't want to go or be expected to go through the trouble of altering my voice and demeanor just because the individual has spewed out oxygen for less or more time than the average human.

Nice Reason: For the old, it's condescending to assume that they cannot understand "real world" speech. For the hatched eggs, they need to learn how to talk. Not coo. I'm not their goddamn mommy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I always hated when people did this to me as a child. That's the whole reason why I hated elementary school. You weren't treated like a person, you were treated as some sort of moron, which I do not believe I was.

I also hate when people do this to people who don't speak english natively. Maybe slow your speech and use simpler wording if they barely understand english, but when people do this to people who are on the verge of fluency it bugs me to no end. How are they supposed to learn how to speack english properly if everyone talks to them like they barely know any english.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ugh! I HATED that as a kid! I could understand what everyone else was saying and I didn't see why they should have to dumb themselves down to talk to me. Of course, the change in tone was always a useful indicator of when I should start caring about what everyone's saying. I was never very good at paying attention unless something was of great interest to me.

The bad thing is that people my age (14/15 year olds) still need things to be dumbed down for them.

They're doomed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went to beauty school (not the ideal place for an INTP in the first place). The majority of our clients were elderly women and most of the students talked to them like they were idiots...I asked some of them why they did this and they hadn't even realized they were doing it. It drove me crazy to have to be in a room full of people talking like that all day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
just because the individual has spewed out oxygen for less or more time than the average human.
Correction: Carbon dioxide... We don't photosynthesize.

I live with my Grandparents so doing this for fifteen years would be quite a toxic waste of energy.
I still get treated this way by strangers because I am shorter than most of my peers. I refuse to belittle others in this manner, it does more harm then good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts