Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life, career, relationship, and you know. all that good stuff :)

I will start.

I love kittens.

Kidding. But seriously.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just any advice or realization but with the advantage of knowing that the listeners are also ISTP's :)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Just any advice or realization but with the advantage of knowing that the listeners are also ISTP's :)
Hmm. Well, it occurred to me recently that as an ISTP I can cope with anything life throws at me. However, there's one thing that will break down my defenses, and that's when I have too much work to do that I don't want to do.

I can do any amount of work if it's something I want to do for my own reasons, but when I have no choice in the matter it affects me very badly. I have to keep a favorable balance between the things I want to do, and the things I have to do. If the balance shifts too far towards the latter, it weakens my barriers of repression and releases all kinds of stored negativity. It gets much harder to recover from emotional setbacks. But as soon as the balance is restored, I get back my ISTP superpower of not caring about such things. It's like magic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. Well, it occurred to me recently that as an ISTP I can cope with anything life throws at me. However, there's one thing that will break down my defenses, and that's when I have too much work to do that I don't want to do.

I can do any amount of work if it's something I want to do for my own reasons, but when I have no choice in the matter it affects me very badly. I have to keep a favorable balance between the things I want to do, and the things I have to do. If the balance shifts too far towards the latter, it weakens my barriers of repression and releases all kinds of stored negativity. It gets much harder to recover from emotional setbacks. But as soon as the balance is restored, I get back my ISTP superpower of not caring about such things. It's like magic.
Haha, well I used to think the same, too, but we are still so much better at that than the most types. I think it's because we have high expectations about ourselves that we don't even see that the others don't even usually get themselves into the situations we get into because they can't handle it.
For an example, both me and my ISFP friend don't do shit until it's like a day before the due date. I finish every single one of em with not sleeping if necessary, and the friend bitches about having to do that all night and doesn't even finish it most of the times.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Well procrastination is a great way to deal with stuff you don't want to do. Leaving it to the last minute ensures that you spend as little time on it as possible, which is ideal. You don't even feel yourself doing it because pressure and adrenaline take over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahaha yea it's really interesting to see why people do the same action but for different reasons. We procrastinate because we love being rushed and thrive on it, but xxFP's tend to procrastinate and fail because they just don't wanna do it, and hate being rushed.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just do it. The more you think, the more you doubt the higher the chance you will not do it and later might regret it. If you do it then the next time you will know it's a bad idea but most of the times it ends up being a massively good chance or idea.

So... stop doubting, just do it.

Reactions: chrisu

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Lol

What's wrong with not doing stuff that you don't want to do?

:tongue:
nothing. But missing out on a chance because you are on the wall if to do it or not, then just do it. Otherwise you might regret the choice later when you realize what you missed out on.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Advice I would like my older more-experienced ISTP self to give to me now? If your thoughts even flicker towards what other people think, you are already caring too much.

Advice from me as I am now? I guess bear in mind that you have an extremely strong centre and are capable of anything if you really put your mind to it; many people along the way will completely underestimate you, understand however that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's good to live your life with a few cards up your sleeve.

Hopefully some day you can meet someone who understands you for everything which you truly are and will be. Never compromise on yourself, not for them, not for anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Advice I would like my older more-experienced ISTP self to give to me now? If your thoughts even flicker towards what other people think, you are already caring too much.

Advice from me as I am now? I guess bear in mind that you have an extremely strong centre and are capable of anything if you really put your mind to it; many people along the way will completely underestimate you, understand however that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's good to live your life with a few cards up your sleeve.

Hopefully some day you can meet someone who understands you for everything which you truly are and will be. Never compromise on yourself, not for them, not for anything.
This made me smile. btw, does being an ISTP make these traits stronger?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
nothing. But missing out on a chance because you are on the wall if to do it or not, then just do it. Otherwise you might regret the choice later when you realize what you missed out on.
I just wanted to point out that if you really don't want to do something, you shouldn't do it.

There's only so much time in the day and you need to do what's important to you.

Leaving now...sorry.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I just wanted to point out that if you really don't want to do something, you shouldn't do it.

There's only so much time in the day and you need to do what's important to you.

Leaving now...sorry.
Not everything you don't want to do is unimportant to you or for your development as a person. Just sayin'..

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Not everything you don't want to do is unimportant to you or for your development as a person. Just sayin'..
I disagree.

Everything I don't want to do is specifically not important to me or my development as a person.

While some things may be painful, like working and challenging myself, I still want to do them to further develop as a better human.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I disagree.

Everything I don't want to do is specifically not important to me or my development as a person.

While some things may be painful, like working and challenging myself, I still want to do them to further develop as a better human.
Or perhaps you want the end stage but don't want to do the actual act? If so, that would still be something that you didn't want to do that was important as your development as a person.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts