Personality Cafe banner

What Age Bracket For Relationship Partners?

• Same Age As You - Within Five Years

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Older Than You - Ten Years Or More

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Younger Than You - Ten Years Or More

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In relationships, does the age of your partner matter?

Do you prefer them to be close to your age?
Or do you go for older types?
Perhaps you like them to be younger?

When I say older or younger, more than 10-15 years difference.
Enough that it makes it obvious you are from different generations, or at least the opposite ends of a single generation!

What appeals to you in an older-same-younger person?
There must be some other attraction to them that their age difference doesn't matter to you?

Of my long term partners, they were all within four years of my age.
One was older (1yr) and the others younger, but not by more than 4 years.
None were the same age as me (or not born in the same year at least).

What say you?

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
> Yes like probably i don't settle for 40yo plus

>yea why not. But it doesn't matter
> i cannot say. Because anything can happen
> my legs are always open

> probably 10.
Enough that it makes it obvious you are from different generations, or at least the opposite ends of a single generation!
> then not really

> well if they're perfect for me and if I'm inlove why not
There must be some other attraction to them that their age difference doesn't matter to you?
>yes. If I'm inlove

Of my long term partners, they were all within four years of my age.
One was older (1yr) and the others younger, but not by more than 4 years.
None were the same age as me (or not born in the same year at least).

What say you? My first bf was my age. Like 7 months older than me. The next was 2years older than me.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
10 years up, 10 years down.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Ideally, within 5 year range from me, either way, but it's not super strict.

I don't date significantly younger or elder people as a matter of principle.
Especially when it comes to elder men, they're an absolute no-no for me.

·
Registered
🌈🎹☮INFJ 666 sx/sp🇺🇸💃🏻💋
2,837 Posts
My husband is about 4 years older than I am.

If i were single my age range would be btw 7/8 years younger (depending on a lot of factors) and about 15 years or so older. I deally early to mid 40s.

·
Banned
307 Posts
This thread doesn't really make sense as the two options (within 5 years) and (10+ years difference) don't encompass all possibilities. A significant number of people would fall in that 5-10 year gap.

Reactions: JayDubs

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Although I prefer women my age and even older for their wisdom, that doesn't matter. I want more than anything the prawn of my own loins and that is beyond any other reason to me.

Because of that I am left with only fairly younger women and or surrogacy from a younger woman as a requirement to an older woman seeking a relationship with me.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I will be 34 in a few weeks.

I would say the median age of most men I have dated since being 30+ is probably about 47ish.

I Date any where from my own age up to mid 50s.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread doesn't really make sense as the two options (within 5 years) and (10+ years difference) don't encompass all possibilities. A significant number of people would fall in that 5-10 year gap.
Well of course there would be age overlap in reality.
I guess it comes down to using your common sense when assessing the 5-10yrs range.

I was just trying to ensure that people didn't confuse older/younger within very narrow limits.
My interest was more about significant age gaps, not minor ones.

Neo.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Well, at an rate I'm 32 and dating a 20yr old so it's >10 years already. It's definitely not because I necessarily want to date someone far younger, it's just that I messaged 191 (yes, that is the exact number) girls on OKCupid and only ~10 responded and 2 agreed to go on dates and just this one was interested in continuing to date. So there it is really. Ideally I would want to date someone who is 27.

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Around my age- youngest was my Entp ex(5 days older than I am) oldest 3 years older.
My partner is 2 years older I am

I prefer somebody my age - 10 years my senior if given a choice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Code Cracked
7,824 Posts
It does not matter to me. I have met way older people that are less mentally, spiritually or physically mature than someone 15 years younger than them. I have dated older and younger.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Same age - within 5 years.
For some reason all the men I've dated were 1 to 6 years younger than me. Not on purpose, just happened that way.

Yes, a lot. Not too young and not much older than me. Like I'm in my early 30s and I wouldn't date someone who's 40. Maybe I'm traumatised by the fact that my own parents have a 10 year difference? And their marriage was terrible. I don't know, but I have a phobia to older men, I can't connect. It's unexplainable from a logical standpoint tbh.

Yes.

Never. It's subconscious (or something).

No. My age.

Yeah nooope. That would put me in a position of dating 18 year olds (I could be their mother!) or 50 year-olds (they feel like my grandfather looool).

If I knew the rationale behind going for my same age, that'd be cool, but I can't explain it other than in a feelzy intuitive way: I feel safe with those of my same age. Like I get them, like they're not my baby child nor my grandfather xD
Maybe my phobia to older men contains the element that... as an INFP I have a strange naïveté, like I'm stupidly innocent a lot of the time, like I was born yesterday or something. I've never felt like a proper adult because I'm so naïve, so whenever a 40 year old hits on me, I can't relate to them, they sound like my grandad. lol

Age does matter to me. Like if I meet a great 25 y/o, I'm not going to date this baby human. And a 40 y/o sounds like Yoda to me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I voted for Same age only because this is the closest to my likings. I am very far from the thought of getting married and I'm pretty sure that's what most of the women older than me in that interval are looking for. Ideally, I'm probably looking for someone my age or younger (probably not more than 5-6 years younger).

Age matters to the extent that I'll feel uncomfortable if the girl is too much younger than me. If the girl is much older than me, I cannot match her on maturity level. It's interests and desires that matter and while there is a correlation between these things and age, the age is not a determining factor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts