Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search to see if there's anything similar to this but there isn't. So i've decided to post this here.
I took a test at Free high quality psychological tests at 123test.com and my results came out INTJ. How surprising.
I posted this since i found the descriptions interesting and it describes me well on a team and etc. It also gives me an understanding of how we work with systems and likewise. If we don't agree on the system, we're more likely to develop our own and this sometimes causes conflicts with the organization we're working with... which is a scenario i usually encounter.
So let me go ahead and copy-paste.

INTJ

Introvert-iNtuitive-Thinker-Judger

• Introverts tend to be reflective, reserved and private. A popular misconception is that Introverts are shy - this is not necessarily so. They draw their energy from their own thoughts and the time they spend alone. Introverts do not need people around them all the time.
  • iNtuitives pay more attention to information that is imaginative and original. iNtuitives focus on the future.
  • Thinkers make decisions using logic and impersonal analysis. They think with their heads rather than their hearts.
  • Judgers prefer a lifestyle that is decisive, planned and orderly. They like a life that is organized and controlled.

An INTJ at-a-glance
You are a natural leader. You are a confident and original thinker, and believe strongly in yourself. You are a strong individualist who seeks new angles or novel ways of looking at life. In general, you are an extremely capable and intelligent individual who strives to always do their best and continue to move in a positive direction.

Obstacles are challenges for you. You focus on your goal, creatively develop a plan and then pour all your energy into achieving your objective. Because you get so inspired and involved in what you are doing, your energy level can be awesome to behold! Of all the Personality Types, yours is the most independently individualistic.

Inventive - inspired - persistent - creative - imaginative and determined. These are all descriptions that are likely to be used by people who know you well.

Your probable contributions to an organization

Each Personality Type has a different set of skills, talents and attributes that they bring to an organization, group or relationship. Here is a list of those most commonly associated with Personality Types like you - INTJ.

• Has faith in his/her own inner vision which, coupled with sheer willpower, moves mountains.
  • Is emphatically determined to accomplish goals and master new skills.
  • Produces original thinking and is a high achiever.
  • Excels at analysis: categorizes and develops strategies with accuracy and precision.
  • Enjoys working in an environment where there is freedom to design future plans and visions.
  • Brings powerful conceptual skills to projects - creatively synthesizing parts into new designs.
  • Works industriously to accomplish what is important to him/her.
  • Is a master of ideas and systems, and designing and building new models.
  • Designs and implements plans for the most efficient and effective use of an organization's resources.
  • Is brilliantly and boldly innovative in thought and action.
  • Tackles projects with determination, persistence, dedication, conviction and tenacity.
  • Conforms to personal standards, not those set by another individual or an organization.
  • Uses enormous energy to transfer his/her designs and ideas into concrete results.
  • Is organized and meets goals for projects that matter to him/her.
  • Sets sights on the big picture and long-term goals.
  • Prefers working alone and rarely consults with others. Needs time to think and enjoys his/her privacy.
  • Focuses on tasks and on transforming creative and innovative ideas into practical use and definable action plans.
  • Is unafraid of change and complex problems.
  • Is efficient, systematic, loyal and focused on tasks.

On a team

Some people work well on teams, others work best on their own. Understanding the personality types of team members provides information about how individuals are likely to carry out their work and interact with each other. Given your personality preferences, the following are the strengths (and possible weaknesses!) you will most likely bring to a team:

• Participates, but in his/her own reserved style.
  • Asks thoughtful and searching questions.
  • Systematically schedules and completes tasks on time.
  • Can be a team player if doing so will get the job done.
  • Analyzes the alternatives and offers new perspectives.
  • Synthesizes and organizes concepts, approaches and tasks and presents a thoughtful and compelling vision which convinces others.
  • Can provide long-term strategy and vision.
  • Needs to share responsibilities and allow other team members to give input.
  • Needs to modify critical comments to diminish team resistance.
  • Sometimes irritates others by being single-minded in completing a task or project.
  • Is annoyed by team members who do not complete tasks.
  • Becomes angered by others who are disrespectful of his/her own ideas or questions.
  • Is irritated by team members who are slow to grasp information.

Source.
(Note that clicking on the INTJ link will take you to a different results with some typos, therefore, i've slightly edited this particular information)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Actualy, i would say:

"There is no I in Team, but there is a Te"

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Ya.... I work awesome by myself and the more people you add to my workload the more it starts to suck. No offense but the more people I have to make Feel good about the project the more drained I get and the worse it must be to work with me. I can be very supportive one on one and everyone likes to pair up with me but more than that and I start to get pissed.

I work in a high stress job with high expectations so my tolerance for stupid people is pretty short already. Ultimately, I end up coming up with a backup solution that I have to pull out of my back pocket just when they about to announce defeat.

I guess... you would have to say I'm not a team player. :(

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ya.... I work awesome by myself and the more people you add to my workload the more it starts to suck.
My sentiments exactly. There's just too many people to have to win over and talk over to get anything done. I'm especially terrible in teams when there's competition involved and no clearly outlined hierarchy, like most team sports. If one person doesn't do what they're supposed to do I get pissed off quickly. The fact that there's no one with official authority to make the person do their job makes things worse. Do any other INTJs also have this problem and how do you deal with it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
My sentiments exactly. There's just too many people to have to win over and talk over to get anything done. I'm especially terrible in teams when there's competition involved and no clearly outlined hierarchy, like most team sports. If one person doesn't do what they're supposed to do I get pissed off quickly. The fact that there's no one with official authority to make the person do their job makes things worse. Do any other INTJs also have this problem and how do you deal with it?
I work in a team environment, but I lead the team. It sucks to have to hold everyone's hand, but it can be so much easier to complete the job with strong leadership. If you are on the same team long enough, you can get the whole thing going like a well-oiled machine. My advice is to take over!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I work in a team environment, but I lead the team. It sucks to have to hold everyone's hand, but it can be so much easier to complete the job with strong leadership. If you are on the same team long enough, you can get the whole thing going like a well-oiled machine. My advice is to take over!
Haha, that is what I usually end up doing but I tend to go overboard and become a complete authoritarian. Then the people who don't appreciate my tyranny start to dislike me.:dry:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Haha, that is what I usually end up doing but I tend to go overboard and become a complete authoritarian. Then the people who don't appreciate my tyranny start to dislike me.:dry:
Ah, but that's the trick. I have had to learn social niceties that let me avoid appearing tyrannical.....I make my assistant do the tyranny stuff. I'm still authoritarian but with a soft edge (most of the time), and it works well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ah, but that's the trick. I have had to learn social niceties that let me avoid appearing tyrannical.....I make my assistant do the tyranny stuff. I'm still authoritarian but with a soft edge (most of the time), and it works well.
i'm all admiration. in my industry, the way we're organised is that there is a "lead" level. so my bloody team keeps rotating and i'm stuck being the lead and holding assorted people's hands for each project. it drives me crazy. the members of my team who work know i'm chilled out about all the normal stuff that leads can get anal about, but the slackers... i come down on them hard (1. we're always working against crazy timelines 2. i think it's daylight robbery to come to work and not work but get paid! 3. i hate that someone else has to pay the price for their incompetence).

and since the slackers are the majority, i always get performance appraisal reviews like "you're great at your work but your leadership skills stink a bit".

so please... what IS the magic mantra? i see a person repeatedly slacking and i stop seeing them as people... i feel this immediate and powerful surge of "you lazy piece of crap.. what do you want now?" and i just can't bring myself to fake it and talk the talk and say "are you facing challenges or obstacles, is that why you're not performing the way you're expected to?" i'm willing to ask that of a person who tries.

Haaaaaalp! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
i'm all admiration. in my industry, the way we're organised is that there is a "lead" level. so my bloody team keeps rotating and i'm stuck being the lead and holding assorted people's hands for each project. it drives me crazy. the members of my team who work know i'm chilled out about all the normal stuff that leads can get anal about, but the slackers... i come down on them hard (1. we're always working against crazy timelines 2. i think it's daylight robbery to come to work and not work but get paid! 3. i hate that someone else has to pay the price for their incompetence).

and since the slackers are the majority, i always get performance appraisal reviews like "you're great at your work but your leadership skills stink a bit".

so please... what IS the magic mantra? i see a person repeatedly slacking and i stop seeing them as people... i feel this immediate and powerful surge of "you lazy piece of crap.. what do you want now?" and i just can't bring myself to fake it and talk the talk and say "are you facing challenges or obstacles, is that why you're not performing the way you're expected to?" i'm willing to ask that of a person who tries.

Haaaaaalp! :)
My situation is slightly different, since I get to pick my team. I usually only end up with one slacker, and maybe that's why I can tolerate the situation. I usually have to tediously check on him/her for each step in the process, and make sure it has been completed properly. I agree with your 3 points, so I understand your "pain." I know what you mean about not seeing a slacker as a fully formed coworker, because I think I do it as well. Since I usually have to pay more attention to him/her, I grit my teeth the whole time and white knuckle through it.
The slacker usually asks something like "Why don't you like me?" My reply is usually something like "I like you just fine, but we all have to do our part and I can't do mine if I have to stop my activity to check on yours." It's not always the most winning comment...
For those that aren't slackers, but who do try, it is sooo easy to just "stroke" them a bit and they perform like good little workers. "Oh you did such a nice job on this...would you mind tackling this other thing? I think you'd be great at it."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts