Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

For those who have yet to see the first and second movies in the "Divergent" series, I'd highly recommend them. As one who has not yet read the books, my opinions will be watered to say the least. However, from what I did see, I am inclined to share thoughts about an internal philosophy; if you will.

After recently finishing the second movie, and being slightly inspired by the ideas in the series, the question must be asked: Am I divergent?

The second question that may as well be asked is: Of the 16 types, who is the most divergent?

(ENTP's may now lower their narcissism. You may be divergent, but are you the most divergent? If you still answer 'yes', you may need counseling.)

The idea in the Divergent series, is that every person is to be tested, and assigned (or choose at will), a faction. There are five factions in total, each separating people by their character and job(s). By having people in the faction that is most-suited for them, things tend to be more orderly. However, there are those that belong to no factions, but have each of the factions influence already in them. They are, in a way, factionless. Containing every faction, and with no need for separation of any one-faction. These, are the Divergents.
It is fair, then, to label these the "intellectual superiors". With no need, or ability to fit into one faction, they can attain any moral or intellectual advantage they so-desire.

Now comes the important question of, Am I divergent? I don't believe this is necessarily a black-and-white question. I think we will all have areas that we are divergent in (I.E. I know several people with rule-bending personalities; INTJ's with an uncanny ability with art, emotions and organization all at once... etc). This question, I feel, can have a lot of weight. Personally, I would like to be divergent (*outer shell breaks and exposes the inner, nerdy self*). To not be just one faction, but have all of them well-rounded.

Abnegation: The Selfless
Erudite: The Intelligent
Dauntless: The Brave
Amity: The Peaceful
Candor: The Honest

The 16 Strikeouts

Of the 16 types, I believe we all have our strengths and weaknesses in the areas listed above. INFP's are not always Dauntless, and ESTP's aren't always Candor. However, I think we have functions waiting to be developed to mold us into whatever we-so choose. Will an ISFP ever invent the next hydrogen bomb? Probably not. However, who says an ENTP can't be an emotionally-focused therapist? That an INFP can't change robotics?
We will all strikeout on these to a degree. I don't believe we can be all things to all people. However, I would like to better the five factions in myself, and lean a little more towards divergent. INFP's naturally gravitate towards relationships? Ok, how brave are you? ESTJ's gravitate towards management and family? Ok, how honest are you?

The views listed above have some Ti-influenced thoughts. No, you will never be Sherlock Holmes. And yes, we all have limitations. However, lets not let the four-lettered personalities shape our worldview to fit inside a beautifully decorated box. Because no matter how good this box can seem, it can* cripple and it can withhold.

Sincerely,
TP

*For those of you who might question this, I don't mean to say that we are automatically in a box by enjoying Myers-Briggs, or that I don't agree with personalities as a whole. I do, and I'm passionate to some of the truth they can unveil in people. However, notice that they can put people in boxes, but they don't have to.

Always welcome to PM's and criticism. Dauntless needs more developing anyway
:wink:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I think I would voluntarily be factionless. Not figuratively factionless as a divergent. I mean actually just factionless. I don't want to spend my days working out, sitting at a computer, in a courtroom, in beige houses with no mirrors, sure as heck not farming (I'd kill the crops anyways) or taking orders from faction leadership. I'm sure I could find something to do without a faction, and would probably have more time to myself.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
I'm not necessarily sure what I would do. I can see myself joining the intellectuals all in the purpose of learning--I want to make sense of the world, whatever it may be. But leaving my family would not be an option.
So factionless.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I scored highest in candor and amity.

Text Font

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I test lowest in abnegation. The rest are all pretty high so I'm divergent apparently.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's really interesting that you guys are saying Factionless. Although I score highest in Candor and Erudite and I would choose Erudite as my life long faction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally disagree with the idea that everyone can be closed into one type of personality. As for myself, I can find myself making several different moral decisions that are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum from each other, and when faced with the same decision twice I very well will do the opposite of what I had done before just for the experience. I feel like everyone has qualities of separate types, no matter how small those traits may be I believe they are present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts