Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How smart are you? How intelligent are you? What's your IQ? What's my IQ? What's that savants IQ? What's that revolutionary artist's, or that theoretical physicist's, IQ? What is the IQ of that new Artificial Intelligent computer we just invented, or those aliens that Obv live among us (ya, you know who you are!)?

What is intelligence? Since I want to finish this post tonight, I'm going to have to scope myself; this in a non-trivial question

I'll quickly address "IQ tests", which are used to measure one of many possible number of intelligence potentials. Some tests can target multiple vectors of intelligence, but most are focused on one, since that allows for more accurate analysts of, therefore predictions from, the results. Commonly they can measure short-term memory, reasoning (pattern finding) and/or verbal skills. They do not measure intelligence much at all, rather they measure ones ability to demonstrate intelligence through some of these and other contrived filters.

So what is intelligence? Simply I'll start with "an ability to manipulate causes now, to create the desired effect in the future". Another way to put it is "Ones ability to maximize future potential for growth".

With me so far? Good. How do we achieve this, approach, understand, measure this? I see two sides of one coin:

1) Ones ability to understand the external world, including relationships that exist between the various objects, events, us etc
2) Ones ability to use that information to plan and execute scenarios that open the best and most opportunities for our future benefit.

Its a bit of a mouthful, but think about it. The first part refers simply to "an ability to understand the reality of the world around us", and the second part is the ability to do something about it, and importantly KEEPING YOUR OPTIONS OPEN! Having one without the other is unproductive at best, but more often catastrophic or very disappointing.

I recently seen a YouTube video that expresses this thought. They even have an equation for it:
F = T ∇ Sτ
To articulate, this is saying that: "The force (F) of intelligence is proportional to the strength-ability (T) to maximize future freedom of action, with the possible accessible futures (S) up to a given time horizon ( τ). It's actually very concise. I like it. Dont worry about getting caught up in the equation, it's not important to how you use or understand intelligence.

The presenter, Alex Wissner, is most definitely not ENTP. ISTP/J if I had to guess. Feel free to take a few minutes to understand his ideas. I respect his approach, which is a bit different than mine.

He uses examples like the games of Chess and Go. Before you move you analyze the board. You have to understand where everything is, and the rules of the game: what you can move where on this turn. However, you aren't done yet. An intelligence worth being called such needs to look as far a head as possible and understand the options of all possible paths. It's hard enough for our limited brains in complex situations even all the causes & effects are potentially known. 10 "turns" ahead has hundreds, or thousands of possibilities. Throw in the pseudo-randomness of another intelligence, make it a competition, now we have a wicked problem.

I did say I needed to scope this topic, as it could go a number of different directions. I'll try to leave it with you to consider how this can be used in our everyday lives. Socialization: How can you maximize the possibility of a desired outcomes with social interactions? Employment: What immediate steps can you take that with maximize the possibilities that will lead to your desired career?

Follow me for regular ENTP insights at Obv the Realist

1 - 1 of 1 Posts