Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ENTJs,

How much emphasis do you put into punctuality? Does first impressions count to you?

When does punctuality matter to you, and when does it not?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I like punctuality. If I'm not on time, I call and tell people. The world works so much more efficiently if everyone maintains a good time schedule. That said, I'm not anal retentive about it. It's more of a "is this person late, or is this person disruptive late" kinda thing. I'm always 5-10 behind because I'm so busy, so I can't really throw many stones.

First impressions matter. As I grow, though, I am slower to judgment than I used to be. First impressions are no longer a complete deal maker/breaker.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
It matters. If there is something that a person couldnt control, like an emergency or traffic problems thats one thing. But most people can tell time.

I am going by the assumtpion that the first impression question is related to the punctuality question; so if a person is too disorganized or lazy to look at a watch, well yea bad first impression.

It always matters to me. Being late to me anyway, is a sign of disorganization, or a careless attitude. I am not fond of either.

Reactions: anon

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
In a business setting, yes, it matters very much to me.
Time is money. Don't waste either of them.

In my personal life, I'm not reallly a clockwatcher. I don't wear a watch. Never have. I'm usually on time within a few minutes either way. It's OK if you do the same. Unless there is a specific reason for meeting at a certain time (the film starts at 1:15 or curtain up is at 8:00) ... meh ... close enough is close enough. We're meeting for lunch at 1:00? If you're late, I'll just whip out my Kindle and entertain myself until you get there, no big whoop. The world's not going to end.

I have a friend who habitually runs at least 20 or 30 minutes late. I plan for it. No point getting worked up about it. She's going to be late. I know that going in. Not that big of a deal. She's not going to change. I've learned to compensate.

I have another friend who is habitually early. If you agree to meet her for lunch at 1:00 and pull up in front of the restaurant at 12:50, she is already standing out front checking her watch and scanning the parking lot, getting impatient. This kind of behavior makes me crazy. She lives for it. I don't get it. We're meeting for a leisurely lunch, why the drama?

About first impressions ... For me it's more about a general impression. If you're late the first time ... shit happens. I'm not going to read anything into it.

I pick my battles. This isn't one of them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hi ENTJs,

How much emphasis do you put into punctuality? Does first impressions count to you?

I don't care about punctuality unless an external factor dictates it. If a plane is taking off at 11:00 and you arrive at 11:15 for example.
First impressions do count because they are almost always right. Punctuality is not part of what gives me a first impression though. Anal attachment to punctuality, does. I consider it extremely negative.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I always correct my boyfriend's texts if he has poor punctuality. Most of the time, he wants to shoot me. :p

As for being on time, I don't care. It's hard enough trying to collect all my friends in one area at once since we all live in different areas of the city. It doesn't bother me too much since the quality of the hang time matters so much more.

As for business or getting to class on time, I am a HUGE stickler for it. I always setup my schedule so I can arrive at least 15-10 minutes early. I am very rarely late for anything. Time is money... and I don't want to be that asshole that arrives to a board meeting late. I've been in a few board meetings where directors would come in 20 minutes late and it's just cringe worthy to me how much the presidents berate them for it.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
How much emphasis do you put into punctuality?

In a business/professional environment I put heavy emphasis on punctuality. I firmly believe meetings should begin and end on time. And, everyone should be in place on time. As far as personal/casual, I can be guilty of being late on occasion but will call ahead to notify the other party of my tardiness with an apology.

Does first impressions count to you?

Not as much as they should. I have a tendency to discount my first impressions to discover later that I should have trusted my gut instincts concerning my first impressions of other people.

See above.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
If you're asking if not being punctual would make a bad first impression, then yes it would. Although it's not terribly important to me as long as it's not a habit. That being said, I only put as much effort into being punctual as necessary as I feel that worrying about being on time for everything is a waste of time itself...unless of course you're in a situation where being prompt is an absolute necessity.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it's a professional engagement you bet your ass I care about punctuality. If it's less formal and more of a social thing, I'm less of a stickler about it -- but keep the other party informed. If you slip once or twice, whatever. Just don't make it a habit or I'll pretty much never invite you to anything or rely on you.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh, thanks for your replies everyone! An ENTJ I once knew makes time for nearly most things but wouldn't mind if things didn't happen on time in casual settings although the overall impression usually counts, so if you're habitually flaky or a late comer then you won't be relied on much if not at all. So I'm guessing in a professional setting an ENTJ would be a lot stricter due to hitting milestones.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It entirely depends on what is waiting for me at X time, but you better believe some conscious thought is going into it.

Some examples:

If its an important meeting, its important to show up on time. I don't want to miss anything in the meeting or appear to be disorganized to others. Occasionally I'll show up early to prepare. Occasionally I'll show up late to assert myself (being late says my time is more important than yours which can be detrimental... or a power move).

If you are interviewing or meeting someone new, its important to show up on time. First impressions matter.

If you don't have anything important to do at work until 9:30, its okay to come in at 9:15. Make up the time after. (I'm against 9-5 mentality. I'm a firm believer in flexible schedules. It can also be used to your advantage offering better coverage of staff if some come in early and some later, etc). Some jobs (like the service industry) its imperative to show up on time, but a lot of jobs... it doesn't really matter as long as you get your work done (IT for example).

If its a movie, it depends on the movie (old, new, time of viewing, etc). Some have previews that can buy you an extra 15 minutes, others may have a trouble finding seats which are a big no-no in my opinion, etc.

I never show up to the doctors on time unless its early in the morning/afternoon and their schedule didn't get messed up, you have to fill out paperwork, or its a doctor who runs on time. I usually show up a couple minutes late (gasp!). They are notoriously behind schedule and like I said before, I hate waiting.

My last example is from a date I recently had with my wife. We had a painting class downtown. We had trouble finding parking because it was Sunday (church - no street parking) and the parking garages were closed. It drove my (ISTJ) wife nuts. She didn't want to go in she was so embarassed. My response... I'm paying money for this class, I come when I please. I don't need an excuse to be late to something so trivial.

For the most part though, I'm notoriously on time - neither late nor early unless for good reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.