Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main draw of personality cafe, allowing those of similar personalities to communicate in a common forum, is also what is so dangerous about it. I've noticed in myself that I tend to grow much more introverted, unhealthily even. I focus on becoming the stereotypical INTP in an attempt to have others recognize me for my differences. While it is great to speak and converse with those who have similar problems and experiences it also causes an elitist worldview. In an isolated setting we begin to hate the world around us because it doesn't compare to the false reality created online and inhead. This narcissism must be consciously avoided to uphold the relationships we have with those around us.

TL;DR I'm on perc too much and now my friends don't like me

·
Registered
206 Posts
I already hated the world in general before I came here. In fact, that's why I sought out a forum like this, to converse with at least generally similar personalities when I couldn't in real life. It's not that the world didn't compare to a false online reality, the world didn't compare to logic and rationality that I assumed to be self evident.

I'm going to venture a theory that an isolated community isn't what's making you hate the world. You're discovering truths here through conversation and introspection that make the flaws of the outside world more glaringly obvious. I could be wrong, just a theory.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The apocalyptic goddess PerC is said to build an army of slaves and with an atmospheric ghost light she is said to let electronic words nest deep within the cortex of the host. These fallen souls are not aware that they are infected. When time is aligned, the apocalyptic goddess PerC will activate the hosts and they will be lost to the shadows... for all eternity.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,370 Posts
I don't experience this phenomenon when it comes to PerC, could be because I spend alot of time learning about other personality types than my own though. :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just an example of the effects of in-groups on the mind. However, we are on an internet forum, and if you felt that it was damaging your relationships too much by subscribing to the underlying bias towards INTPs being generally better then you could simply stop coming here (vs. IRL group membership, which has more "stickiness" to it).

Look at me, the last time I made a post here was easily 6 months ago and now I am a multi-millionaire with three supermodel girlfriends and a yacht in Miami.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So have enough integrity in yourself to not let membership and conformity to a group (even other INTP's) pinch hit for your lack of self-esteem? If there is one thing I dislike about everyone else it's this: most of them want to be followers of someone to gain (something?) while some want to be that miserable groups leaders to gain (something undefined). The best people are those that don't want to lead or follow but have the self esteem to stand alone as individuals in life.

Reactions: dbmorpher

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The main draw of personality cafe, allowing those of similar personalities to communicate in a common forum, is also what is so dangerous about it. I've noticed in myself that I tend to grow much more introverted, unhealthily even. I focus on becoming the stereotypical INTP in an attempt to have others recognize me for my differences. While it is great to speak and converse with those who have similar problems and experiences it also causes an elitist worldview. In an isolated setting we begin to hate the world around us because it doesn't compare to the false reality created online and inhead. This narcissism must be consciously avoided to uphold the relationships we have with those around us.

I agree with you on the "Im on PerC too much", but not the other things. I you are getting elitist worldview from this, than you are probably doing it wrong.

·
I love my everything
10,920 Posts
There are a lot of good things about PerC, but I agree. Some of our negative traits are being accepted and encouraged here because of stereotype, which shouldn't be confused for real life. Same goes for values.

Also P.R.O.C.R.A.S.T.I.N.A.T.I.O.N.

·
King of Seduction
7,199 Posts

If you are focusing on being the stereotypical INTP then that's probably the issue.
I'm on the other side of the spectrum.
Figure out your blind spots, work on them, become the version of yourself you want to be regardless of any predisposition.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
INTP's are narcissistic? Ninja, please...
in a passive aggressive sense...

there is the persistent seeking for validation, albeit usually more of an outcry as if to say "I'm not insane / I am 'normal' "

it would be a fair line to sink his argument entirely...

the biggest fallacy of the OPs argument is to becoming a stereotypical intp -- but seemingly rather than focusing on the mbti has taken the stereotypical view from the outside, while ignoring the ever present realities concerning the intp population ... which tends to make us more out as potential school shooters or that lass that slipped paraformaldehyde in her research colleagues water bottles...

(for a supposedly disturbingly anti social crowd, they seem to be the most social out of the types online and in various alternative communities -- but of course, they are probably just communists.)

few of our positives are ever truly viewed as 'positive' in the mainstream, so one could see why the OP is so desperate to be validated by other groups and escape the cycle of being lumped in with the rest of us freaks... (seriously, what, we didn't have a big enough budget to get the rights to village of the damned or invasion of the body snatchers?)

but perhaps we should ask him to outline what those stereotypes are...

that could be fun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts