Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a 24 year old male. I tried one thread before but somehow got a little unsure since there were two major types that were proposed. Because I am afraid of bias I will not reveal which types, but you can check in my first thread if you feel that it is useful information. My hope is that this questionnaire will be more revealing as to which type I belong to.

SCENARIO 1
Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.
Initially I would be irritated and angry since I would get the impression that since she abruptly ended the relationship, she must have had emotions and thoughts that she kept to herself. This would in return imply that she had in some sense, not been completely honest with me. It would obviously also be a huge WTF-moment due to the abrupt nature of the ending followed by her ignoring. After I found out the true reason for her ending the relationship, I would immediately drop all kind of feelings that I have been mistreated and instead feel empathy, sorrow, despair and a strong sensation of wanting to be there for her in any way I could provide.

SCENARIO 2
You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.
I would not only be willing to help, I would actually *want* to help and find it fun and satisfying. I love helping other people with their problems and have been praised many times for my pedagogical skills, something I take pride in. I can't explain exactly what about it I like, I just feel good seeing other people learn things. It is as if I see some sort of challenge, a mission if you will, where the objective is to transfer some sort of information from my brain to the other person's brain. Key factors here are that the person I am helping out is eager to learn and has obviously tried on his own. It is important that the person is active and has a desire to *learn* and not a desire for me to just do the assignment for him. If the person has a habit of asking for help on several occations or if he asks me to do almost everything (i.e. copy my work) I may suspect that he is using me and has no actual desire to learn. Then I will get really irritated and may even be judgmental about it, feeling that he has no place in college.

SCENARIO 3
Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.
I would have some trouble deciding but I would eventually settle with project 1 since I like to bounce ideas with others, especially when it comes to logical problems. The reasons for this are that I like the feedback nature and I also feel that I perform best when working with other people. These two combined makes me a lot more confident that we are doing a good job. Neither the amount of impact the project has on the company nor the broad nature of the project has any big influence on my choice. The one thing that I find appealing with project 2 is the coziness of making myself a cup of coffee and trying to solve some problem on my own, almost like solving some sort of fun puzzle.

SCENARIO 4
Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.
If the other group members were very active I would listen and try to understand their ideas. I might throw in some idea, question or other input myself and I would like to have feedback on that input e.g. if it was good or bad and such. I would be very interested in *why* my idea was, for instance, bad if that was the feedback I got. I usually also take some sort of organizer role if I feel that it is needed. I have a need for structure and I want to understand what ideas we are going with and why. I also want to understand why we are not going with ideas I thought were good. The major influence for all of the above is that it is essential for me to know that everybody knows where we are going, why and that we have some sort of outspoken confidence that it will work.

SCENARIO 5
It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.
I would most definitely want to be alone, play my guitar, read interesting things on the internet e.g. forum discussions and such or watch a documentary BUT I can also see myself wanting to be social with a small group of friends and getting drunk. The former feels appealing to me because I really feel that I am recharging my batteries. The latter is appealing in the sense that I get really good emotions, it's fun and I can unleash some of my energy - even though I thought I was drained. There may be some bias in the latter scenario because of my current life situation where I spend a large amount of time in solitude with intellectual activities, so usually when I am drained it is because I have been alone for a long period of time (sometimes months). In those cases It is uplifting to get drunk and do stupid shit.

SCENARIO 6
You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor
Scientist - I love the intellectual and rational aspect of science. The pursuit of knowledge is essential to me and I have the deepest respect for people in (hard) science. This career appeals to me the most.

Computer programmer - It depends on what kind of programming I would do. The more scientific it is, the more it appeals to me. Programming some boring everyday app or communications system makes me yawn whereas programming something cool and scientific makes me a lot more excited, even if we say the methods are the same in both cases. Having that said, I love problem solving, especially if it has a logical nature to it. I find some sort of pleasure in solving problems, that moment when everything fits together. This career appeals to me the second most.

Musician - Simply put, I love music. I really love the creative part as well as the pleasure when everything makes musically sense, kind of like in the programming case described above. I also feel there is a deep side to music which I would be happy to explore. This career appeals to me the third most.

I found it moderately easy choosing three careers. Psychologist, Teacher and Engineer are also appealing to me but somehow they don't feel as deep and mystifying as the three I picked. I have two major criteria when choosing career which are as follows; 1) I want it to be intellectual, preferably logical. 2) I want it to accomplish something that feels deep and meaningful. Obviously, Scientist is then the best fit.

SCENARIO 7
Click on the image below and pay close attention to the things that jump out to you, objects, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?
The main thing that pops out are the cliffs, especially the part where the sun shines. I get a curious sensation that I want to investigate and explore this particular part of the picture. I want to do this because I get the feeling that there are cool stuff to see in those areas. I associate this with adventure, warmth and exploration. The water seems dark and cold, I like it better higher up in the cliffs where I have a better view and where it looks warmer. On a second thought, I get the feeling I would want to explore the hole place for hours - alone or at most with one close partner. I would not want to talk but rather enjoy the view as well as the exploring aspects. If the photo was smoother in its composition I would have enjoyed looking at it more.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I am going to guess ISFJ. I think you probably use the Fe-Ti axis, but I'm not getting strong feelings if you are using Se-Ni or Si-Ne. I guess INFJ would be another option, but you seem to use decent amounts of some sort of sensing so I'm not sure.

Reactions: Jinsei and Chicony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to guess ISFJ. I think you probably use the Fe-Ti axis, but I'm not getting strong feelings if you are using Se-Ni or Si-Ne. I guess INFJ would be another option, but you seem to use decent amounts of some sort of sensing so I'm not sure.
Interesting you put F since many people (including myself) strongly perceive me as a heavy T user (probably Te). Although I am aware of the fact that I can sometimes express myself in a feeling/philosphical way. Is this the reason you put F or are there other reasons?

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Initially I would be irritated and angry since I would get the impression that since she abruptly ended the relationship, she must have had emotions and thoughts that she kept to herself. This would in return imply that she had in some sense, not been completely honest with me. It would obviously also be a huge WTF-moment due to the abrupt nature of the ending followed by her ignoring. After I found out the true reason for her ending the relationship, I would immediately drop all kind of feelings that I have been mistreated and instead feel empathy, sorrow, despair and a strong sensation of wanting to be there for her in any way I could provide.
Getting an internal subjective flavor to your empathy. Subjective initial judgments and I'm not sure about the motivation behind the last part but I have a hunch it's because you feel it is the right thing to do. Am I right?

I would not only be willing to help, I would actually *want* to help and find it fun and satisfying. I love helping other people with their problems and have been praised many times for my pedagogical skills, something I take pride in. I can't explain exactly what about it I like, I just feel good seeing other people learn things. It is as if I see some sort of challenge, a mission if you will, where the objective is to transfer some sort of information from my brain to the other person's brain. Key factors here are that the person I am helping out is eager to learn and has obviously tried on his own. It is important that the person is active and has a desire to *learn* and not a desire for me to just do the assignment for him. If the person has a habit of asking for help on several occations or if he asks me to do almost everything (i.e. copy my work) I may suspect that he is using me and has no actual desire to learn. Then I will get really irritated and may even be judgmental about it, feeling that he has no place in college.
Again, sensing a internal subjective sense of empathy. Seems you place personal value on helping people learn things. Last part is a clear description of when you feel it would be right or wrong to help. Fi

I would have some trouble deciding but I would eventually settle with project 1 since I like to bounce ideas with others, especially when it comes to logical problems. The reasons for this are that I like the feedback nature and I also feel that I perform best when working with other people. These two combined makes me a lot more confident that we are doing a good job. Neither the amount of impact the project has on the company nor the broad nature of the project has any big influence on my choice. The one thing that I find appealing with project 2 is the coziness of making myself a cup of coffee and trying to solve some problem on my own, almost like solving some sort of fun puzzle.
Possible I or E influence on the decision... but the middle part really speaks strongly to Te... the last part speaks to a possible Fi influence on choosing to work alone.

If the other group members were very active I would listen and try to understand their ideas. I might throw in some idea, question or other input myself and I would like to have feedback on that input e.g. if it was good or bad and such. I would be very interested in *why* my idea was, for instance, bad if that was the feedback I got. I usually also take some sort of organizer role if I feel that it is needed. I have a need for structure and I want to understand what ideas we are going with and why. I also want to understand why we are not going with ideas I thought were good. The major influence for all of the above is that it is essential for me to know that everybody knows where we are going, why and that we have some sort of outspoken confidence that it will work.
All the bold comments signify clear Te to me. I think it's safe to say that your F/T axis is most likely Fi/Te

I would most definitely want to be alone, play my guitar, read interesting things on the internet e.g. forum discussions and such or watch a documentary BUT I can also see myself wanting to be social with a small group of friends and getting drunk. The former feels appealing to me because I really feel that I am recharging my batteries. The latter is appealing in the sense that I get really good emotions, it's fun and I can unleash some of my energy - even though I thought I was drained. There may be some bias in the latter scenario because of my current life situation where I spend a large amount of time in solitude with intellectual activities, so usually when I am drained it is because I have been alone for a long period of time (sometimes months). In those cases It is uplifting to get drunk and do stupid shit.
Most likely an introvert but not extreme, inferior S and F influence on the last two parts maybe?

Scientist - I love the intellectual and rational aspect of science. The pursuit of knowledge is essential to me and I have the deepest respect for people in (hard) science. This career appeals to me the most.
Why on the bold segment?

Computer programmer - It depends on what kind of programming I would do. The more scientific it is, the more it appeals to me. Programming some boring everyday app or communications system makes me yawn whereas programming something cool and scientific makes me a lot more excited, even if we say the methods are the same in both cases. Having that said, I love problem solving, especially if it has a logical nature to it. I find some sort of pleasure in solving problems, that moment when everything fits together. This career appeals to me the second most.

Musician - Simply put, I love music. I really love the creative part as well as the pleasure when everything makes musically sense, kind of like in the programming case described above. I also feel there is a deep side to music which I would be happy to explore. This career appeals to me the third most.

I found it moderately easy choosing three careers. Psychologist, Teacher and Engineer are also appealing to me but somehow they don't feel as deep and mystifying as the three I picked. I have two major criteria when choosing career which are as follows; 1) I want it to be intellectual, preferably logical. 2) I want it to accomplish something that feels deep and meaningful. Obviously, Scientist is then the best fit.
Getting some N influence here... possibly Ni along with Te. Ni drives the need for depth and to fit everything together, Te is seeking relevance and impact?

The main thing that pops out are the cliffs, especially the part where the sun shines. I get a curious sensation that I want to investigate and explore this particular part of the picture. I want to do this because I get the feeling that there are cool stuff to see in those areas. I associate this with adventure, warmth and exploration. The water seems dark and cold, I like it better higher up in the cliffs where I have a better view and where it looks warmer. On a second thought, I get the feeling I would want to explore the hole place for hours - alone or at most with one close partner. I would not want to talk but rather enjoy the view as well as the exploring aspects. If the photo was smoother in its composition I would have enjoyed looking at it more.
This seems a lot like Ni/Se... Se is driving the desire to sense and experience the big picture while Ni is providing the imaginiative possibility of what it would be like to explore... there was some association to subjective concepts which could be indicative of Si... it could also be provided by Ni as well.

It would be interesting to see if this lines up with your cognitive function stack. Have you tried these?
Jungian Cognitive Function Quiz
Jungian Cognitive Functions Test

Based on this I am leaning towards INTJ (Ni - Te - Fi - Se). You seem to favor T influence but I see F influencing things too much to be inferior... I think Fi is more of an undercurrent behind Te. You prefer solitude and alone time to explore your ideas which seem internal and subjective... you place value on them but seek logical relevance and external proof to their validity. (Ni/Te combo) This came out in scenario 4 a lot where you sought logical evidance as to why your ideas were being rejected. Too much solitude and analysis on your own however and Te connects with inferior Se and drives the need to get out and socialize and generally immerse yourself in the world.. as seen in scenario 5.

Thanks a lot by the way for the compliment on my questionnaire! I hope this helps and validates the exploration you have already done.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I was specifically seeing a lot of Fe in your first three responses particularly. You clearly use a lot of thinking, I definitely wouldn't put you as a feeling dominant -- but I don't think it's your inferior either.
I'm not the best at typing. I think you could definitely be a T type. I can see INTP as well.
Listen to Jinsei; he's got this thing down)

Reactions: Chicony and Jinsei

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
I was specifically seeing a lot of Fe in your first three responses particularly. You clearly use a lot of thinking, I definitely wouldn't put you as a feeling dominant -- but I don't think it's your inferior either.
I'm not the best at typing. I think you could definitely be a T type. I can see INTP as well.
Listen to Jinsei; he's got this thing down)
Thanks Oswin, that is very sweet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting an internal subjective flavor to your empathy. Subjective initial judgments and I'm not sure about the motivation behind the last part but I have a hunch it's because you feel it is the right thing to do. Am I right?
In the last part I feel the reasons for her actions are justifiable and understandable thus my need for justice are absolved. What is then left is just pure genuine care, which I can allow myself to feel since her "wrongdoings" are not perceived as such anymore.

Why on the bold segment?
I love to gather information about the world, about people, about objects and how things work. Why? I do not know, I guess I get some sense of excitement knowing about things. I also feel it helps me understand and relate to the external world. Uh, yeah, I also find it to be simply fun.

Getting some N influence here... possibly Ni along with Te. Ni drives the need for depth and to fit everything together, Te is seeking relevance and impact?
I can relate to this. One might say that this manifests a bit in my hobbies where I tend to seek some sort of meaning or depth and express this in a concrete form like a drawing or a instrumental. The same holds for my actual career choice (applied mathematics). This side of me has sometimes confused me in the past to whether I am F or T.

It would be interesting to see if this lines up with your cognitive function stack. Have you tried these?
Te (75%)
Ti (75%)
Ne (75%)
Ni (60%)
Se (10%)
Si (75%)
Fe (30%)
Fi (40%)

(Ti) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.15
(Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||||| 11.945
(Te) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.85
(Si) |||||||||||||| 6.16
(Fe) ||||||||||| 4.75
(Fi) |||||| 2.48
(Ne) |||| 1.015
(Se) ||| 0.57

The two types that were proposed to me in the first thread were INTJ and INTP, where I could relate more to INTJ. But then again, I feel I am kind of sloppy in some ways even though I have a need for structure. I have gotten the impression that this might indicate INTP? So the big question is INTJ vs INTP. I am more inclined with INTJ.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
@Chicony

Wow... wildly fluctuating results from the two tests lol. That is interesting that Si was so high on both over Se too... Very hard to distinguish between Ti and Te but T definitely wins over F both times. Ni is close to Ne on the first one and very strong over Ne on the second. I would feel pretty confident placing you as an Ni dom over Ne. It also seems like while T comes out on top... F is still very much an influence so I would go with the Aux / Tert pairing over primary Ti and inferior Fe in an INTP.

I agree INTJ seems the best fit and if you relate with the personality description better than INTP then that sends a pretty clear message in my opinon. If I am completely off on your F/T axis though and you are Fe / Ti then INFJ might be an option too...

EXCITED!!! My instincts and analysis lined up with previous typings!!! WOOT! Thanks for using my test and I hope this helped clarify things for you! I suggest exploring the INTJ / INTP forums to try and get a sense of who you relate to more. This might help clarify things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts