Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some sitting and thinking about which persona is closer to the real me, my physical or virtual one. I confronted an interesting problem that has been plaguing me. In reality I show complete introversion, I am the picture perfect introvert. However on the internet, I have very extroverted tendencies, I like to hang out with groups of people online, play games have parties in these virtual worlds and feel energized by these, the same as I feel energized when I sit back and relax alone. Which brings me to a conclusion can a person have different natures in these 2 different worlds.

Do any of you exhibit what I'm calling Internet extroversion?

This is a very interesting topic and has very much to deal with the differences between these joined realities, give your thoughts on this and any topics related to it.

Can't wait to see your input. :kitteh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is interesting. I think I would fall into that category. It is much more comfortable for some of us to communicate behind a computer than will an actual person. While I'm typically pretty quiet and somewhat withdrawn when out of my house, I'm a yapper on Facebook.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
This was my first realization towards discovering my true type honestly. The realization that I was getting more and more energized by my interactions here. You may not know this, but I originally came on board thinking I was an INFJ because I had been around toxic people and negative social interaction too long.

However, introverts becoming "extroverts" online isn't the same as actual extroversion at all. Your surrounding is still one where in the comfort of your home.

If you find that spending 8-10 hours online chatting / talking to people energizes you - try to do the same in a Mall food-court for 8-10 hours and see how it feels after.

The only way to really discover whether you're an introvert or extrovert is to engage yourself in an environment where you're physically around healthy people where the interaction is positive and not negative - and then see how you feel after. And if you have the capability to repeat the same activity for the entire week, do so.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was my first realization towards discovering my true type honestly. The realization that I was getting more and more energized by my interactions here. You may not know this, but I originally came on board thinking I was an INFJ because I had been around toxic people and negative social interaction too long.

However, introverts becoming "extroverts" online isn't the same as actual extroversion at all. Your surrounding is still one where in the comfort of your home.

If you find that spending 8-10 hours online chatting / talking to people energizes you - try to do the same in a Mall food-court for 8-10 hours and see how it feels after.

The only way to really discover whether you're an introvert or extrovert is to engage yourself in an environment where you're physically around healthy people where the interaction is positive and not negative - and then see how you feel after. And if you have the capability to repeat the same activity for the entire week, do so.
Believe me I've tried being social, every time I leave my house and socialize I feel exhausted by the time I return home, completely drained. I sit at home alone and I'm fine I don't feel extremely energized. I talk to people/play with people on the internet and I feel energized. It's always been like this for me, I just got around to seeing who else is in the same boat.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Well, I've studied Media Effects so I might be able to come up with a few things that might help.

Well, the first one might have something to do with the concept of anonymity. In internet forums and chatrooms, we often find ourselves being able to express more cause there are people here like us, who in actual fact, don't really know who you are outside of your username or avatar. Given that, you might feel free expressing more ideas and stuff cause you know that you can get away with it.

Anonymity gives us freedom to fully express ourselves cause we know that the repercussion we suffer is close to nil if we say anything wrong. If some prick comes up here and say something stupid then nobody's gonna hesitate telling him off. However, IRL, if someone were to behave like a jackass in work, his co-workers might not say anything cause they might actually cause a long standing conflict and disharmony amongst the work environment.

Another thing is also lack of certain context. If lets say a guy with a random avatar posts something along the lines of foreveralone.jpeg, everyone would be more inclined to agree and sympathize with this person given that everyone assumed that he is a normal human being. However, they might not be able to see that perhaps behind a computer is just someone that didn't shower for days or someone with a massive case of <insert cosmetic disease>.

Given that, they might feel more comfortable posting stuff online cause they know they cannot be judged based on those factors, not that I'm saying you suffer from any of these issues btw... I'm just spit-balling as usual...

One last one could be something along the lines of physical insecurities. Unless we believe we are supremely handsome :3, very few of us would post up pictures or videos about ourselves. I think out of 100% of the users here, less than 20% have contributed to the videos and pictures threads. This might be caused by little insecurities that we think society might judge us by such as being overweight, speak in an annoying manner, or something like that.

However, what most of us don't realize is society has already learned to see past that for the most part but I'm getting ahead of myself.

All I'm saying is that we might find it easier and more comfortable to post online cause we don't have to worry about looking good while doing it. Outside in the real world, we have to worry about how we look, how we smell, does the colors of our clothes best bring out our skin color and all this kinda crap whereas online, you can still fap and post at the same time cause you know that no one knows.

Being in a more comfortable environment, you feel easier posting.

However, another problem with this is also notoriety. Sometimes given if we post too much in a particular site, we may gain fame and popularity amongst it's denizens. Thus, we may feel compelled to behave in a consistent manner which is sometimes pressure but then again, I am getting ahead of myself.

Well, you asked for an opinion and this was mine. Didn't wanna go one the whole Introvert/Extrovery dynamic cause I sorta expected everyone to go there so I wanted to offer some different input. Cheers.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yes, I could relate. Although I wasn't aware that I was being an "online extrovert" since I was just expressing my feelings. If my friends were to see this post, they would tell me why I can't be this "talkative" in real life and that they liked this side of me rather than my quiet side. In my mind I don't see how differently it is from how I am quiet in public because . . . these words are in fact, from my mind. I'm not speaking this out as I write . . . it would be like how my dad would say it, "talking to yourself." But I can understand where they are coming from. I should be more outgoing and talkative when they're around is all . . .

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
The energy you feel like you're getting is from being alone like every other introvert. That has more to do with physical than mental attributes. I'm more open and comfortable talking to people on the phone than I generally am when I'm with them in person. Why? Because I'm physically alone. I'm not having to alter or defend my personal space. That's where energy is spent for introverts, keeping a certain amount of personal space available. The fewer the people around, the less energy is required to do that.

In much the same way, extroverts spend their energy drawing people to them. The more people around, the easier that is, and the less energy they use. The fewer people around, obviously the more difficult that becomes, and that's why extroverts find being alone to be exhausting/boring/causing restlessness/etc.

Introversion/extroversion with regards to energy gain has nothing to do with being sociable with others. The only energy you have to spend here online to keep your personal space is to click the X button for the tab or the window. :eek:P

Anyway, as far as appearing and acting more sociable, similar to that of an extrovert, that's because certain barriers (again, mostly pertaining to physical things) aren't present, so you can spend the energy you'd normally be spending keeping up your personal space into actually discussing things. And yes, there's that whole bit about not worrying what others think and such, but again, that's a physical thing. You can't come off as sounding stupid to someone, because you're not speaking.

You can't come off as clumsy to someone, because you're not doing anything. You can't come off as ugly/fat/whatever else because they can't see you. And all of these things, all of them, are invasions of personal space when you're in person with someone.

Anyhoo, yes, I will agree with you just the same. I'm more extroverted when online, in terms of being more sociable. But in many respects, it's only because I'm free to do so. While I'm spending minimal amounts of energy here, I'm gaining it all back and then some at the same time because I'm home, alone, in my comfy recliner. :eek:P

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I have more time to think about what I'm going to say on here so it naturally leads me to be more expressive online than in real life where I don't have as much time to think out my responses. Of course with people I am already comfortable around I'm just as expressive, I mainly mean people I don't know well yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts