Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, crazy kids.

Do you fellow INFJs, perhaps more specifically the guys, due to societal gender roles and whatnot, use online communication as a way to exercise your Fe? I guess this could apply to any type that uses Fe other than as a primary function.

I'm much more openly Fe online than I normally am irl. It's very refreshing at times to simply let the hopeless romantic in me roam free. It seems as though so few opportunities are available irl for this. People seem so... uncomfortable when it comes to genuine concern for each other.

Maybe it's because I'm also a 9 though, so other people's concerns end up overriding my own. Maybe that's why online is my outlet. *shrug*

Anyway, how about you?

Just got to thinking of this after reading various threads, like "Are INFJ Guys Affectionate?" where plenty of us guys say we are, and it apparently comes as a surprise to others. SOs, or people in our circles, can also become outlets for our Fe that we keep low-key for the world at large, for any number of reasons.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Sadly in real life showing emotion is still reagrded as unmanly. A lot of people will disagree with that but it is still true. A man being demonstrative often makes people feel uncomfortable.

A lot also depends on what we are showing emotion for. I knew one guy who could not cry at his mother's funeral but was like an inconsolable baby when they closed his favourite indian restaurant!

One thing which I think is damaging is 'vicarious' emotion....we have a lot of that in the UK. When princess Diana died there were people in spasms of howling grief whom Diana wouldn't have peed on even when there were an 'R' in the month!

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
I know I'm not a guy but yes. I sometimes have trouble expressing my emotion in real life because I have intimacy issues (this makes me very private sometimes) but on here, my fear of it mostly evaporates for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Connection does not have to be emotional. F is about valuing subjective criteria. So yes emotions are subjective.. But emotional ranges and aptitudes are measured by EQ not F. I actually don't trust most of you emotionally. No offense.

So actually I use much less Fe online since I don't know any of you personally. The connections I make with people here are almost purely intellectual and philosophical.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I basically come off as emotionless in real life, but I still don't really express them online... They're definitely there, but years of classmates, teachers, and parents giving me crap for so much as frowning makes it very difficult to show emotion at all... I don't even like using emoticons.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't view Auxiliary Fe as necessarily "expressing emotion" ... it is more of valuing other people/objective ethics to me.

this sums my thoughts on Fe up, and this is from an identified INFJ

"Consider it: every person you have ever met ... is going to ... lose everything they love in this world. Why would one want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime?"

- Sam Harris

also

"When you are wronged, consider the viewpoint of the wrongdoer, and feel sorry for mankind."
-Marcus Aurelius

@Arclight "So actually I use much less Fe online since I don't know any of you personally. The connections I make with people here are almost purely intellectual and philosophical."

Same here.'

Though, I might be more likely to throw a smiley face or a lol in if I am talking to a friend online.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I basically come off as emotionless in real life, but I still don't really express them online... They're definitely there, but years of classmates, teachers, and parents giving me crap for so much as frowning makes it very difficult to show emotion at all... I don't even like using emoticons.
Completely devoid of emotion! I can crack a smile or two and act like a happy go lucky guy but you will never see me cry, get angry or get pissed. I may seem depressed from time to time but I am pretty sure it just looks like I am in the middle of a very deep thought.

While online I will still try to hide my emotions from those I see on a daily basis but if they are like 2000 miles away I won't hesitate to talk to them about my feelings. :p

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
My Fe is different in terms that it isn't linked to showing or expressing emotion, which in all honesty, I'm not a very emotional or touchy-feely person(I can be, but only with people close to me). With that said, my Fe is more of taking care of the feelings and needs of others intuitively, and seeking to accomodate and fulfill those needs in every way possible. I am very good at reading people, and that helps me a lot to build rapport and trust in others.

Now, it is harder for me to use Fe online because I cannot read people as well as I can irl. It is harder to read the mood, tone of voice and facial expressions through this medium and as a result, I may sometimes make error judgments interpreting what is being said between the lines. In fact, my Ni and Ti go nuts online trying to figure out exactly what the other person may have said in a post or message, and I arrive at the wrong conclusion or give bad advice because my Ni didn't have enough information for my Fe to get its teeth around.

In real life it's a lot different. I have a lot more confidence to use my Fe to its' fullest potential because my Ni is able to pick up all sorts of useful information about that person, and in seconds, I can pinpoint the meaning behind what is being conveyed.

On the upside of online interaction and Fe, I am now becoming more acquainted with my Ti thanks to these limitations of not having enough information. Now I'm more careful and picky(or try to be lol) with what the users are trying to communicate with me. So in the end, it's all a learning experience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting that you got into trouble for showing emotion. My INFJ daughter is very 'loud' with emotion. She doesn't have to say a word, but if she's feeling angry with me, or critical, I can FEEL it. Even if she says nothing, it's enough to ruin my day.

I've had others say that about me, too. Not everyone picks up on it, but those who do say I wear my emotions "on my sleeve". Even when I say absolutely nothing. I think it's really uncomfortable for them to be around, when I'm in a bad mood. I didn't understand it until I had the same reaction from my own daughter.

I wonder if they just feel your really strong emotions in the same way?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts