Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you have a person you can trust with everything, absolutely they can.

I think a simple way of showing that is when you can start telling them about the inner things of your family, which are not always the easiest things to disclose even among deep friends.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
I think they can be very real, I've had a few online friends for more than a decade. In online friendships all there is to do is talk so you can get to know someone really well and for introverts it can be easier to share more because there is not the pressure of face to face interaction. They can get frustrating sometimes though because you meet some wonderful people and you really would like to get coffee with them or go adventuring or whatnot and you can't because of the distance.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Online friendships can be pretty real, but an offline one, where you can actually see face to face that person, talk to them, interact is much more real to me and much more fulfilling too.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,331 Posts
I've had significant friendships online as well as offline. The one, I've known her over a decade, and allthough we don't really talk much anymore, we still consider ourselves old friends. One day, when we both get around to it we'll hang out and it will be pretty cool. Untill then, I've got plenty of close friends in the real world.

There's a few friends that I know can never be replaced online, like my one friend who I've known all my life pretty much. However, I have met some really cool friends here on PerC, and in some way -in a lot of ways, they're a hell of a lot cooler than some of my friends in the real world. I can have deeper conversations, shit I wouldn't talk about with my friends in real life. It's kinda crazy when I think about it, but the sad thing is unless I hijack a plane I can't chill with these cool people.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I've had a few online friendships that know SO much more about me than some offline friends ever will. It's just so much easier to pour your heart out to a stranger. It does get really frustrating though, when you can't see these people, especially when they mean the world to you.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
It's kinda crazy when I think about it, but the sad thing is unless I hijack a plane I can't chill with these cool people.
You can chill with me though! Come to Ohio, we might not have culture or beauty but we have fine smokables :p

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I think they are both more and less real.
Anyone who I am online friends with actually knows more about me or how I see the world/percieve myself than anyone else cause all my online friends are from PerC, it's almost like a filter, we getta skip straight to the good stuff.

But physical presence does impact a lot, and also, I can pretend to be more charming on the internet. My real life friends getta see me be a weirdo.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i think that online friendships are often the most honest. i don't think that the two usually translate, unfortunately. trying to bring online friends into real life can be confusing; disappointing, even. on the other hand, most of "real life" friends are sort of out of sight, out of mind- we don't connect on as deep of a level, so it's easy for life to get in the way.

now that i think about it, i probably need to look for more real life friendships with more of the dynamics of my online friendships. or, maybe i'm a little scared of that kind of vulnerability in the physical world.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,331 Posts
You can chill with me though! Come to Ohio, we might not have culture or beauty but we have fine smokables :p
This is very true. Once I get my new car and get my weed stamina up, I'm down as a clown. Of course, YOU could allways come to Detroit and join me in epic warehouse parties.:crazy:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Absolutely! Online friendships can be just as strong as offline friendships, in my oppinion :D

This is especially true amongst INFP's, which I believe is a result of our honesty and forthcomingness, even when speaking to complete strangers. We actually communicate easier and more efficiently with people online (we're all significantly funnier than in person) - and we're more likely to share things with them that we might not perhaps share with our real-world friends, until we were absolutely CERTAIN we could trust them :p

You might even say that online friendships can blossom much quicker as a result of forming those kind of immediate bonds of trust :)

·
Premium Member
🍡INFP☘️5/9-ish🍧Sp
14,991 Posts
Well, just me but... I'm not really that close to people online. I have one major person in my life (husband) then two really really really good friends (2 females) then my *family* and that's about all the energy I have time for. (Time I have energy for?)

I like reading many people online (I think Perseus is a great mind and Grim very knowledgeable) but I honestly can say in no way am I *close* to anyone on the Nets.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I tend to agree with @Sily - I don't have any deep online friendships. there are people, especially on here, who I enjoy reading and would even consider a friend or acquaintance, but I don't feel like I know someone well until I see them face to face. There is more to people than just words on a screen. There is body language, different moods that can be subtle or out of control, ways people react instantly, little speech quirks, a whole mess of things. I think getting to know someone through online communication, especially someone who is less comfortable in social situations, is a good way to get into their minds and feel a bond. But it isn't until you share physical space with them that you really get a feeling for who they are.

So I'd say it's a good intro to a person. Just the same way reading a diary is a good intro to someone. But it's not the whole picture.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I don't have any deep online friendships. I usually feel more "real" online, but I want friendships that are a mix of online and off. That way, I can reveal parts of myself online and on the phone and later talk about some of that deep stuff in person. I don't quite have that type of friendship, either. It's very hard to find the right people. For me to get to meaningful conversation face to face without 'hidden' conversation first is almost impossible. I'm too reserved for that and too quick to ramble about trivial stuff and deflect back to the other person.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yes and no. I like my real friends better. I don't feel as lonely when they're around. But online friends are great too. My best friend is in school 10 hours away from me so we communicate online until she comes home. I'm actually about to go visit a friend of mine that I met in person 2 years ago but have talked to online since then. So yes, online friendships can work. But they don't last long unless you're in personal contact with this person.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts