Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Question for you all:

Do you like your online self better or your real life self? In other words, if the way you act online is different from the way you act in real life (which I'm sure is the case for almost all), which way of acting do you like better? Why? What do you do or not do in either realm that makes you prefer one over the other? Or perhaps you don't prefer one or the other? Why is this?

Also, if people were to know both the online you and the real life you, which do you suppose they would like better? Why? If there is someone in real life who's also aware of your online/forum persona, have they told you anything regarding this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys. Question for you all:

Do you like your online self better or your real life self? In other words, if the way you act online is different from the way you act in real life (which I'm sure is the case for almost all), which way of acting do you like better? Why? What do you do or not do in either realm that makes you prefer one over the other? Or perhaps you don't prefer one or the other? Why is this?

Also, if people were to know both the online you and the real life you, which do you suppose they would like better? Why? If there is someone in real life who's also aware of your online/forum persona, have they told you anything regarding this?
I would say I like each equally, and they are both genuinely me. However each has pros and cons. Online - I don't really worry as much about everything and interact more because I control the interaction, and I don't have to deal with information overload on my intuition and senses. In person - the inverse can be a plus because now I have the added bonus (or burden, depending) of body language and eye contact.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Writing enables me to think matters more deeply and to consider my choice of words way more carefully than when I speak, so I am lot less smart IRL. Goofying around is difficult to convey in written format so I tend to be a lot more serious on the internet than IRL. I also feel forums allow more room for me to express myself contrary to face-to-face where I need to see a lot of cues of genuine interest before I go on about myself. So yeah, I must seem like two different people. One who is quiet, reserved, a little simple and sometimes goofily weird and other one who is thoughtful, serious and deep, yet eccentric. It is not intentional though. I would love to be the same combination of all this everywhere, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On the internet it's easier to control how close someone get's to me. I tend to push people away in real life, and I'm too quiet. I'm not going to try and become an extrovert though it just isn't me. Some people think introverts need to open up more.. they look at this as if its a disease. When in reality I tend to get depressed if out for too long.. I seem to be less approachable in real life as well. I want friend's but I just cant seem to find the right people. Online i get to chose my friends ^^ plus I don't have to leave this room! its a blissful win win.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
More guarded in person, finding it more necessary to set boundaries on empathy and sensitivity in life otherwise risking people pleasing or abuse of compassion may become a norm when around less aware types. Warm but also controlled in whom sees my truest self and when trust with fewer conditional interactions occur i.e. how so many perceive or project ulterior motives for warmth upon others.

·
Registered
53 Posts
More guarded in person, finding it more necessary to set boundaries on empathy and sensitivity in life otherwise risking people pleasing or abuse of compassion may become a norm when around less aware types. Warm but also controlled in whom sees my truest self and when trust with fewer conditional interactions occur i.e. how so many perceive or project ulterior motives for warmth upon others.
Hey St. Elmos! I just noticed your image. You're an HSP too! <3

186 Posts
Hm, well, I'm guarded equally online and in person. As for which I like better, they're pretty much the same. I strive to maintain myself through all situations. I've learned how the hard way.
I think people would like the real life me a bit better, because I can use my hands and make eye contact to communicate the little things I feel foolish putting on paper. And normally I can gage a person's good points in person, while online I mostly see negatives (because, though I sense the person, it is different from personal experience, if that makes sense).

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
In real life, I'm not so good with words.

Communicating with me in writing is 100% different from communicating with me in speech.
Absolutely, exactly the same here. People who have written with me before they've met me have been very disappointed because I'm so crippled when it comes to speaking. That is kind of sad, but yeah...

Online I can be much more open about everything (mainly here on PerC) because I'm anonymous and I can make my true thoughts heard here without it mattering too much. It would be impossible to write like I do here on any place I wasn't anonymous.

EDIT: I absolutely love your signature :)

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely, exactly the same here. People who have written with me before they've met me have been very disappointed because I'm so crippled when it comes to speaking. That is kind of sad, but yeah...

Online I can be much more open about everything (mainly here on PerC) because I'm anonymous and I can make my true thoughts heard here without it mattering too much. It would be impossible to write like I do here on any place I wasn't anonymous.

EDIT: I absolutely love your signature :)
My sig?

I figured @Northwind's sentiment would be shared by many, myself included.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't think I change when I talk via the internet, I think I just choose to express one specific side of myself (the deep, thoughtful, philosophical me). In real life, I'm much more well-rounded. In person, there are times when I can be laid back, silly, friendly, and not at all deep. Going online for me serves the soul purpose of indulging my Ni, and that is all.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Like many have already said, I'm just a whole lot better at communicating through writing. I can take more time to get out just the right words and I'm also not so nervous. I think this sometimes has a cost, though. I sometimes read the things I type to people online and think that I sound too formal or unemotional. I don't like that so much. In person I sound a lot more casual, friendly, not so serious. I love that I feel comfortable enough to say most things I want to online, though. I think it's because 1) I'm basically anonymous and 2) I know I'm good at expressing myself this way so I have nothing to worry about.

So my online self seems to come off as serious and probably deeper. Maybe not as cheery. It's not so obvious that I'm a shy person, and I probably sound more confident. But I don't have a wide range of emotions. In person, I may not be able to express myself in words so well, but I can in the way I talk or facial expressions. I assume it makes me seem more personable and not so cold. I hope.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,443 Posts
I like my online self because I feel less awkward and more socially adept. I am much better with communicating, because I tend to stutter or forget words when I talk--neither of which is a problem when I'm typing and have time to think out my responses.

I like my real life self because I get involved in less drama. I'm more able to just let things be and roll with the punches.

Though on the basic levels, they're the same...I'm generally well-liked, thought of as quirky, intelligent, "deep", and difficult to get to know, though easy to talk to.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts