Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about it, and I get the notion I could sometimes be an ISFP or INFJ, but just those letters don't change. The whole functions (such as Fi, Ni, etc) change from personality type to personality type, so does this mean that you are one personality type, and only one personality type? It's really confusing.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
No, a person's functions (and by extension, type) are fairly static, but ever-developing. While expectations, pressures, and perhaps even intoxicants will cause people to behave differently under different circumstances, underlying cognitive preferences tend not shift dramatically by means of anything short of serious mental trauma. Which isn't to say that a great many people aren't borderline on one or more functions and therefore capable of thinking or acting on either side of a given dichotomy. That's what it means to have a weak preference for something.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree with Trope. I think one's life experiences can cause you to shift around, if not completely. I know I'm not the same as I was 7 to 10 years ago. I think it's good to have a grasp on different functions.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Pretty interesting.
I was never aware you were pretty much one type for the rest of your days. So, no matter ho hard you tried, you'd always be yourself. :happy:

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant one personality type at a time.
Like for example you, CJAY. You say you're a mix of INFP, INFJ, and INTP, but what I'm saying is, is that possible since with a change of the XXXX letters, the primary/secondary/etc functions change as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts