Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
INxP - 5w4
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the line of my favorite ENTJ character from Overwatch Doomfist.

Doomfist seeks to start a war between the machine and humanity, just because of the first war with the Omnics. He makes the point that the first war updgraded humanity because of natural selection and want to make humanity evolve once more.

Even if the situation is a little too extreme here
Do you think the line is true though? Or do you think it is a simplification of what ENTJs are ?

·
Registered
try and guess
471 Posts
Do you think the line is true though? Or do you think it is a simplification of what ENTJs are ?
Mmm I think the line in itself is true, but I don't think I'd equate it to ENTJs.

Without conflict comes stagnation - imagine a scenario where everyone agrees with each other. Complete harmony. You will never have to exercise your wit in debating. Will there be advances? Or will people grow comfortable with the way everything is? If someone happens to have a new thought, will others accept and agree? Is it even possible to have change in a scenario like that?

Conflict doesn't have to be physical. It can be verbal, it can be between ideas. But it is in conflict that you can refine the idea you have, expand your perspective, be subjected to new thoughts. If everyone agrees, noone learns anymore. It is in conclict that you can learn about yourself, probe your limits and expand them.

Gosh, I wish I could explain what I mean better. :LOL:
But point in case, I've been thinking about conflict as a catalyst of change for a long time now, but I don't consider myself to be ENTJ. People say I'm your cute mushy INFP.

·
Registered
INxP - 5w4
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a very interesting perspective

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not so sure about the ENTJ part haha,

but I do agree with the idea of us advancing through arguments and conflict. Because we need it. Without it, we would often just stay the same way with our mindset, and our thoughts and ideas.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
9,402 Posts
Someone quoting Doomfist as something ENTJ in a seemingly unironic manner. Well that about sums up the state of this subforum, I'd say. 😄

·
Registered
INxP - 5w4
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone quoting Doomfist as something ENTJ in a seemingly unironic manner. Well that about sums up the state of this subforum, I'd say. 😄
I admit I have a very bad knowledge of EN/STJ

Reactions: Scoobyscoob

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
9,402 Posts
That reminds me of something...

:\

The OP and I are talking about a video game called Overwatch. The two characters mentioned are playable characters in the game:

The OP thinks the guy with the huge arm is an ENTJ while I'm saying the guy with the visor is more accurate representation of an ENTJ in a first person shooter. I was also saying that the guy with the metal arm is an exaggerated example of a bad guy character.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE SCUEI
21,995 Posts
:\

The OP and I are talking about a video game called Overwatch. The two characters mentioned are playable characters in the game:

The OP thinks the guy with the huge arm is an ENTJ while I'm saying the guy with the visor is more accurate representation of an ENTJ in a first person shooter. I was also saying that the guy with the metal arm is an exaggerated example of a bad guy character.
Oh yes, I know of the game.

·
Registered
INxP - 5w4
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
9,402 Posts
Your take on Soldier 76 is really interesting !
Soldier 76 would be a more accurate ENTJ in Overwatch. Doomfist as a character is 2-Dimensional and probably doesn't have an MBTI. Maybe ISFJ or INFP? For Doomfist that is.

·
Registered
INxP - 5w4
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soldier 76 would be a more accurate ENTJ in Overwatch. Doomfist as a character is 2-Dimensional and probably doesn't have an MBTI. Maybe ISFJ or INFP? For Doomfist that is.
I would love Doomfist to be an INFP that would be very great.
It makes me think actually INFPs representation is pretty stereotypical too !
I saw Doomfist being ENTJ on personalitydatabase. But you made me realize it s very open to interpretation since we dont know about him that much

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
9,402 Posts
I would love Doomfist to be an INFP that would be very great.
It makes me think actually INFPs representation is pretty stereotypical too !
I saw Doomfist being ENTJ on personalitydatabase. But you made me realize it s very open to interpretation since we dont know about him that much
Doomfist is a 2-dimensional ISFJ. You can contrast Doomfist with Soldier 76. Also, Doomfist's character is deliberately designed to be a character that plays to a power fantasy. If you listen to some of the developer notes for his design a developer, it could've been Jeff Kaplan, who says Doomfist is designed to feel powerful to the player. Yeah, I'd say because the character isn't well fleshed out, you could make an argument for any MBTI.

·
Registered
INxP - 5w4
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doomfist is a 2-dimensional ISFJ. You can contrast Doomfist with Soldier 76. Also, Doomfist's character is deliberately designed to be a character that plays to a power fantasy. If you listen to some of the developer notes for his design a developer, it could've been Jeff Kaplan, who says Doomfist is designed to feel powerful to the player. Yeah, I'd say because the character isn't well fleshed out, you could make an argument for any MBTI.
I wasn't aware of the gameplay element for Doom! It really make me guess how you can say of a character and his personality via is gameplay

But I have to admit I was refering Doomfist as seen in the comics and his origin story.
He has Fi I think thats why I really like this idea of an INFP doom
His morals are set highly

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
9,402 Posts
I wasn't aware of the gameplay element for Doom! It really make me guess how you can say of a character and his personality via is gameplay

But I have to admit I was refering Doomfist as seen in the comics and his origin story.
He has Fi I think thats why I really like this idea of an INFP doom
His morals are set highly
Yeah, each character is designed to play a certain way. Doomfist being someone who is slow but has powerful single attacks. That gives the player the sense of power and overwhelmingly so if used properly.

Oh so you have read the comics ok. I was going to leave a link in case you or anyone else wanted to read them, but yeah browsing through the comic with Doomfist in it again, I'll say there's not much to base his MBTI from with the short story. I'll stick with ISFJ because there's just not much to go on with game background and I've met the person who inspired the character, and he is definitely ISFJ.

Why would you say he has Fi and in what way does the Doomfist character have high set morals?

·
Registered
INTP (LII)
30 Posts
I don't know about Doomfist resembling an ENTJ or not, but to talk about the quote itself, if by conflict he means a genocidal war, then I'd absolutely disagree.
With that being said, on an individual basis, I do think we become who we are when we are tested. Righteousness isn't hiding from temptation and wisdom isn't being afraid to talk with someone that disagrees with you. I think through that we grow as a person.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
9,402 Posts
I don't know about Doomfist resembling an ENTJ or not, but to talk about the quote itself, if by conflict he means a genocidal war, then I'd absolutely disagree.
With that being said, on an individual basis, I do think we become who we are when we are tested. Righteousness isn't hiding from temptation and wisdom isn't being afraid to talk with someone that disagrees with you. I think through that we grow as a person.
He's a video game character so he most certainly does not mean something as serious as genocide but more along the common adage that adversity and conflict makes someone stronger which a lot of people believe on an abstract level. The problem being that constant conflict in reality makes a person weaker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts