Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I understand that this is open, but perhaps just a bit of a push in the OP could help this to take off a bit? Just a suggestion...this could be a very interesting topic.

I'll start. I am not afraid of death itself; in fact, I rather look forward to it (don't worry, I am not suicidal or anything like that). I just don't want a painful process, that's all. I have zero interest in living a long life, honestly. I don't want to get old and have health problems and go to an old age home or anything like that. Color me strange, but I don't want to get old.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that this is open, but perhaps just a bit of a push in the OP could help this to take off a bit? Just a suggestion...this could be a very interesting topic.

I'll start. I am not afraid of death itself; in fact, I rather look forward to it (don't worry, I am not suicidal or anything like that). I just don't want a painful process, that's all. I have zero interest in living a long life, honestly. I don't want to get old and have health problems and go to an old age home or anything like that. Color me strange, but I don't want to get old.

I'm not afraid either but that feels irrelevant, pain doesn't bother me as it's a part of life and pain that is not relative to death has some meaning, we can learn from it and understand it or understand how to cope with it. I am interested not interested in dying I would rather live forever as life is so amazing and there is so much to explore and so much to dive into in terms of the depths of the unknown.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
To start, "do you ever intuitively feel death rather than just think about it?"
This is actually a really good question, so I'm bumping this thread.

I felt death intuitively when I was 4 years old. I was a little philosopher at a young age, and things that terrified me were incredibly fascinating (I had an early penchant for horror movies.)

Anyway, I would try to imagine what it would be like to be dead, and even considered if it were actually possible to have thoughts after death. I intuitively realized that without my brain, without my eyes, how would I be able to see and think?

I thought about feeling like a numb, floating, material-less ghost, and floating up to 'heaven', but not really feeling with nerves or anything. Just outside of the self. Would I be 'seeing'? or 'feeling' anything? How? Would it be like the way it feels when you're asleep?

And then I realized that it didn't seem logical, and I started thinking of other things, like... Reincarnation. The material-less ghost would find a host. But, how would that work?

The problem is, 4-year-old Dispenser realized, that 'beyond death' is a concept that is very foreign to us, and, at the time, I couldn't think of anyway in which we could actually comprehend it on a human, intellectual level, in the same way that we couldn't comprehend a civilization beyond us.

A civilization that, for all intents and purposes, would be Gods. Of course, I didn't think about civilizations when I was a 4-year-old. I thought God.

But, I did have trouble sleeping that night, in bed, when I was thinking of all of these things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is actually a really good question, so I'm bumping this thread.

I felt death intuitively when I was 4 years old. I was a little philosopher at a young age, and things that terrified me were incredibly fascinating (I had an early penchant for horror movies.)

Anyway, I would try to imagine what it would be like to be dead, and even considered if it were actually possible to have thoughts after death. I intuitively realized that without my brain, without my eyes, how would I be able to see and think?

I thought about feeling like a numb, floating, material-less ghost, and floating up to 'heaven', but not really feeling with nerves or anything. Just outside of the self. Would I be 'seeing'? or 'feeling' anything? How? Would it be like the way it feels when you're asleep?

And then I realized that it didn't seem logical, and I started thinking of other things, like... Reincarnation. The material-less ghost would find a host. But, how would that work?

The problem is, 4-year-old Dispenser realized, that 'beyond death' is a concept that is very foreign to us, and, at the time, I couldn't think of anyway in which we could actually comprehend it on a human, intellectual level, in the same way that we couldn't comprehend a civilization beyond us.

A civilization that, for all intents and purposes, would be Gods. Of course, I didn't think about civilizations when I was a 4-year-old. I thought God.

But, I did have trouble sleeping that night, in bed, when I was thinking of all of these things.
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/162197-doesnt-feel-like-we-going-die.html
I talk about it in detail here. it's a very powerful and profound intuition that is life changing

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/162197-doesnt-feel-like-we-going-die.html
I talk about it in detail here. it's a very powerful and profound intuition that is life changing
I think that we intuitively think we're going to live forever (ie. Superstition), but that we fear death.

I know that the 'God spot' in the brain has been disputed, but I think the idea is interesting.

That, as we manifested consciousness, so too, this desire to create supernatural explanations for phenomenon, and that doing so was natural for the brain, in order to give us hope to push forward during traumatic and stressful situations. Without it, we would just despair, without rationalizing.

That this phenomenon is actually the brain's way of keeping us alive to self-perpetuate, somehow balancing our propensity towards taking the easy way out, and our tenacity.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
It is both natural and absurd that we don't feel as if we are going to die.

Natural because all that we are will still belong to the same multiverse when our consciousness fades and absurd because we believe consciousness to be important.

The material is returned. Consciousness only arises when complexity becomes sufficiently great and then that pattern, including consciousness, much pass on and on by very complex gyrations (sex).

Identity is an illusion we all cling to and frankly I see no point to it. As I have said many times before and no doubt will again, write your name in the sand on the beach at low tide. See how long your identity is useful.

The soul is a hideous concept. It would involve separation. It confuses us and causes anti-wisdom. Consciousness, the soul if you will arises as complexity becomes sufficient. It will do so throughout the multiverse. And if conditions do not exist to perpetuate that complexity or allow it to complete its required gyrations for hand-off, it will fade back into the relative calm of insufficient complexity.

While we carry that spark of consciousness we have the complexity to sense this belonging. We try to name it and fail. It slips from us and each of us tries to tune it to our own agenda. But any attachment with identity pollutes it and the meaning is lost. This is why religion is a farce, but spirituality and the pursuit of wisdom is not.

You cannot unbelong despite all your efforts. You cannot name a part of something that is only whole. Not in truth. You can name things to work with them, but, when you do, you cause separation and introduce error.

Reactions: Word Dispenser

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
It is both natural and absurd that we don't feel as if we are going to die.

Natural because all that we are will still belong to the same multiverse when our consciousness fades and absurd because we believe consciousness to be important.

The material is returned. Consciousness only arises when complexity becomes sufficiently great and then that pattern, including consciousness, much pass on and on by very complex gyrations (sex).

Identity is an illusion we all cling to and frankly I see no point to it. As I have said many times before and no doubt will again, write your name in the sand on the beach at low tide. See how long your identity is useful.

The soul is a hideous concept. It would involve separation. It confuses us and causes anti-wisdom. Consciousness, the soul if you will arises as complexity becomes sufficient. It will do so throughout the multiverse. And if conditions do not exist to perpetuate that complexity or allow it to complete its required gyrations for hand-off, it will fade back into the relative calm of insufficient complexity.

While we carry that spark of consciousness we have the complexity to sense this belonging. We try to name it and fail. It slips from us and each of us tries to tune it to our own agenda. But any attachment with identity pollutes it and the meaning is lost. This is why religion is a farce, but spirituality and the pursuit of wisdom is not.

You cannot unbelong despite all your efforts. You cannot name a part of something that is only whole. Not in truth. You can name things to work with them, but, when you do, you cause separation and introduce error.
This reminds me of Buddhism or Hinduism. I prefer Hinduism, because it's more optimistic. We achieve enlightenment when we realize we are Brahman, and Brahman is the universe and everything, and that individuality is an illusion.

Buddhism seems almost the opposite-- Nirvana is the snuffing of the flame, nothingness.

Both subscribe to the idea that it all returns to the source and becomes apart of it.

WE ARE STARDUST.

hehe

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I used to feel that way about death, that it was perfectly fine and I wasn't afraid of it. Then I lost a few friends to random accidents, which made me feel very confused and uncertain about death. It didn't effect me very strongly, but I did wonder how to think about it.

What really changed things was when I tried to kill myself, though. In the moment of it I wasn't really afraid, just wanting to get it over with. But looking back on it several months later, it terrified me. I realized for the first time that I might not have existed right now, and that this is a very scary and definite thing. What if I had no consciousness outside of this body, and I simply lost everything I had in one instant for no reason? The idea of not existing is something that's so elusive, I guess I never could quite rationalize it. Some part of me must have always assumed there would be something after.

I used to never understand how anyone could claim that death is the worst thing that can happen to a person. Surely there are worse things - killing someone you love, turning into a zombie, being trapped in a dark room for years on end. But I never understood that all of these things pale in comparison to death, simply because we still have a chance to live. It's not the actual quality of life that matters so much as the opportunity to keep trying. That's why people compare so many things in life - severe depression/anxiety, being in a coma, having no purpose, etc. - to being "as good as dead." It's only when we stop trying to live that we have absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I fear death. It happens to everyone, you can't predict it, and I've got far too much I'm curious about and want to do here. Also, I've got an uncanny ability to waste extravagant amounts of time, thus lowering what all I can accomplish. So yeah, the reason I fear death is because this world has so much, no matter what age I die, it will have been too soon. Hell, even if I live to be 100, I still won't get to see us colonize other planets, genetically engineer superhumans on a grand level, and watch our race evolve faster than it has ever done before. Also, I still REALLY want to see a good picture of a black hole sucking a star cluster in. *sigh*.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I fear death. It happens to everyone, you can't predict it, and I've got far too much I'm curious about and want to do here. Also, I've got an uncanny ability to waste extravagant amounts of time, thus lowering what all I can accomplish. So yeah, the reason I fear death is because this world has so much, no matter what age I die, it will have been too soon. Hell, even if I live to be 100, I still won't get to see us colonize other planets, genetically engineer superhumans on a grand level, and watch our race evolve faster than it has ever done before. Also, I still REALLY want to see a good picture of a black hole sucking a star cluster in. *sigh*.
I don't plan on dying. Too many things to do.

I trust science to find a way to keep extending life. It'll happen for our generation.

I'm gonna go back to school soon. I'm thinking of going into Biotechnology. Maybe I can help it along.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Video ...

hehe
OMG! That is so hokey it almost undermines the point. <Uncontrollable shiver> <Sing a quick verse of 'Let it be'>

Ok I'm recovered now. I see no need for Hinduism or Buddhism as the way I feel was arrived at without exposure to them. In fact, how a person feels about it really is not relevant.

What matters is, when faced with the insignificance of our fleeting identity and the ubiquitousness or absence of a 'soul' that people realize the incarnation of heaven and hell is what we do and what we manifest of our lives while we have them, before our body machines can no longer contain the delicate spark of consciousness.

It is neither a moment for despair (because even in death all that you were still belongs) nor a moment for selfish joy (your identity will be lost to you in a selfish sense - union with the cosmos annihilates it). Rather it is simultaneously an ongoing challenge and beauty, to live, experience, and thrive always doing our best to emerge the heaven we envision amid our lives.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I don't plan on dying. Too many things to do.

I trust science to find a way to keep extending life. It'll happen for our generation.

I'm gonna go back to school soon. I'm thinking of going into Biotechnology. Maybe I can help it along.
Sadly, science is not even close to such a wonder, except by some accident. I think we will download our consciousness before science discovers a way for a human animal to live much longer.

I have heard all the hype on aging from TED and even researching the forerunners in that field. Rather than discover watershed bonuses along those efforts, I suspect science will run up against some hard truths concerning the genome and its stability. It is just a guess. Things tend to happen in nature in more or less very specific and stable patterns. I am not going to say 'the only way they can' because there is a range, but that range is determined primarily by environment I believe and not happenstance. So it will be yet another hard barrier. (Watch Blade Runner). Of course this is only a theory.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Sadly, science is not even close to such a wonder, except by some accident. I think we will download our consciousness before science discovers a way for a human animal to live much longer.

I have heard all the hype on aging from TED and even researching the forerunners in that field. Rather than discover watershed bonuses along those efforts, I suspect science will run up against some hard truths concerning the genome and its stability. It is just a guess. Things tend to happen in nature in more or less very specific and stable patterns. I am not going to say 'the only way they can' because there is a range, but that range is determined primarily by environment I believe and not happenstance. So it will be yet another hard barrier. (Watch Blade Runner). Of course this is only a theory.
It's really just blind hope, on my part. I don't want to die. :)

I've seen Blade Runner. I enjoyed it very much.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
OMG! That is so hokey it almost undermines the point. <Uncontrollable shiver> <Sing a quick verse of 'Let it be'>

Ok I'm recovered now. I see no need for Hinduism or Buddhism as the way I feel was arrived at without exposure to them. In fact, how a person feels about it really is not relevant.

What matters is, when faced with the insignificance of our fleeting identity and the ubiquitousness or absence of a 'soul' that people realize the incarnation of heaven and hell is what we do and what we manifest of our lives while we have them, before our body machines can no longer contain the delicate spark of consciousness.

It is neither a moment for despair (because even in death all that you were still belongs) nor a moment for selfish joy (your identity will be lost to you in a selfish sense - union with the cosmos annihilates it). Rather it is simultaneously an ongoing challenge and beauty, to live, experience, and thrive always doing our best to emerge the heaven we envision amid our lives.
Hindu and Buddhism were just compared analogies based on the idea presented. They usually help people connect to the idea on a more understandable level. I do not practice any particular doctrine (Being Agnostic, though I understand that isn't the point).

As for the video? I have no excuse, except a very resolute, resounding: Meh.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts

2045 Initiative

I forgot to mention the billionaire working on this project. As far as I'm concerned, if one's consciousness is downloaded and is working effectively, it counts as immortality.

Will I ever be able to afford it? Probably. I'll figure it out. :p

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
2045 Initiative

I forgot to mention the billionaire working on this project. As far as I'm concerned, if one's consciousness is downloaded and is working effectively, it counts as immortality.

Will I ever be able to afford it? Probably. I'll figure it out. :p
Yeah Ray Kurzweil. I am following his work along those lines. I think their goals are auspicious, but technology does follow an exponential curve. But you have to think in terms of those hard limits. Wouldn't a Kurzweil prediction based on Einstein in the 50s have predicted us travelling faster than or close to the speed of light by now? I think it would have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts