Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill admit im pretty new to personality cafe, however you don't have to be here long to notice that alot of people here don't think highly of people who possess the xSxJ temperament. I could swear, if I had a dollar for everyone who complained about their ESTJ father or their ESFJ mother, i reckon i could pretty much retire right now at 17. Now I'm still not quite sure exactly what my type is but im pretty sure im an ENTP, if not, something very close. Now I'm also pretty certain that my parents are SJs, more specifically, an ISTJ dad and an ESFJ mum, however they are both lovely, very open to all sorts of new ideas, seek change, can hold very in depth and intellectual conversations, and they don't have a strict bone in their body. I'll admit that they do prefer not to question authority and follow certain silly rules and traditions that seem pretty brain-dead, and although they disagree with alot of my views and way of thinking, they admire my unique perspective and are very good at seeing the logic in many of my ideas and arguments.

And on the flip side, I've met all sorts of people of all ages who are definitely intuitive types who are absolutely some of the most boring, close-minded, tunnel vision, irrational, unintelligent, shallow, judgemental, authority-worshipping and naive people I've ever met who make extremely strict and overbearing parents, obnoxious teachers and bosses, and the absolute lowest of low lives.

But all that aside, even though the last thing i want to do is put people in boxes here, and even though I'll admit that from my experiences intuitive types are usually more open-minded, prospecting, original, interesting and liberal, it's far from exclusive to intuitive or even xSxP types.

So yea, TL; DR or whatever abbreviation is: why all the xSxJ hate?,

To be honest, i think it might be possible that alot of N types might be mistyped Sensors, i mean i've met heaps of people who belong to the so-called intuitive temperament, and they're hardly ever the oh-so deep, arty-farty, genetically superior, God's chosen, liberal revolutionists that alot of the internet makes them out to be, i reckon if parents of any type had to deal with little shits who thought that they were all the things i just rattled off while their parents where just ESTJ drones who don't let them run free, don't want to listen to constant whining about no-one understanding them, want them to clean their room and get a good education, when they should be the lovey-dovey, open minded, emotionally deep and intuitive parent who realises there's more to living then just being a corporate drone on this shallow and success-driven material world, they would be pretty damn fucking miserable, especially when they buy all their clothes, keep them safe, put three meals on their plate everyday and take them places they want to go, and just because they don't think that their kid is a revolutionary special snowflake who's so deep and meaningful and that you could never understand them because they cant understand that pouring orange juice over a canvas and rolling in it to express a longing desire for freedom and their internal battles with this materialistic and success-driven world, means you must be nothing but an ESTJ cunt.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been raised by sensor parents. Though they did let me "free roam" a lot, and when they didn't, I did it anyway.
No hard feelings here for the SJ's. They're great at doing the stuff I just dream about.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I haven't met all of these close-minded SJs. I know a lot of SJs in real life and, except a few, none of them is strictly conservative, bigoted or behaves as if they were still in the 19th century.

I think that bigotry and close-mindedness come with people regardless of their type; the most bigoted and close-minded person I've met was an ENFP (she is homophobic, more than a little bit racist, tries to "convert" anyone who isn't Catholic or doesn't share her ideas and she feels superior to anyone who makes less money than her father), and ENFPs are presented as open-minded in every description you can read online.

Fact is, you shouldn't trust any universal description at all; naturally, not everyone is going to be the same just because they share the same MBTI type, and most of all no one is going to completely fit a description based on stereotypes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also think there's a lot of mistyping poor Ns as Ss, and Ss that can put two and two together will be mistyped as N. Nobody wants to be someone who's irrationally traditional, unable to form new insights, stuck in their ways--much better to be an insightful genius whose greatest flaw is that other people don't understand them, right? Unfortunately, trying to ignore people who use MBTI to validate and aggrandize themselves and to belittle folks they don't agree with is something I'm working on myself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't mind the stereotypes; I know what sensing is worth and that intuition (at least made flesh by a typical "intuitive"), for the most part, is fruitless.

I'm also really not open-minded, but I am not conservative / traditional in the slightest, so there's that. In fact, I am often mistaken for a liberal; although not due to openness / acceptance or valuing such in the first place; but for other reasons.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Everyone is open and close-minded to some extent. The thing with MBTI is some things are only true in theory. I've met plenty of close-minded NPs and open-minded SJs. Also I hate this connotation that new ideas equates to open-mindedness and old ideas equates to close-mindedness. MOST millennials are traditionalists, they are. They adhere to the ideals of their time. Defining traditionalism for them as the values of yesteryear, before they were born is stupid imo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both parents are SJs but one is more open minded than the other. It really depends on their upbringing, culture, experiences, etc.
I think the perceived "hate" is probably due a combination of the population MBTI proportions (higher proportions of the population being a certain type would have a higher chance of being disliked just by sheer numbers), this being an internet medium and when people vent, it's more about a certain person rather than a type but readers look at the aggregate and perceive it as "hating" on certain types.
While one of my parents is ESFJ and I do complain about them, it would be due to them being up in my grill for a good 20+ years rather than their MBTI type. I don't "hate" all ESFJs, just one in particular.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think there are a lot of underdeveloped ISxx's out there that refuse to use their Ne/Ni. Those are the most visible sensors out there. The thing is that there's a lot of people that are somewhere in between in terms of their personal development, where they use both sensing and intuition to solve problems. It's the natural way our brains are supposed to develop. Of course one of them takes the lead while the other plays a supporting role, but you need both to be a complete problem-solver in the real world.

All of those people aren't really in the conversation because they're not obvious 'sensors'. They're just normal human beings making their way in the world. That means they're not really taken into account in discussions like these.

So I say yes, there's people out there that are set in their ways and rigid because they refuse to use their intution in their daily life. There are lots of them because there are lots of people. Just be sure to also notice the ISFJ backing you up on your novel idea or the ESTP coming up with a brilliant strategy in a video game. These people are all over the place and they're just as much sensors.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My parents are xSxJ. (Mother is ISTJ and father ESFJ). Personally, when I don't get along with them is because of her Te secondary and his Fe Dominant or their character in general than because they're sensors.

Why there are prejudices on sensors? Well, look at the internet. We INxx are all over the place on MBTI sites so the problem is less representation than the other types. If ISxJ (seems that ISFPs are the most active of the Sensors group.. it's because of Fi dom?) would be more interested in the theory I'm sure they'd complain a lot about us :wink:

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,045 Posts
If ISxJ (seems that ISFPs are the most active of the Sensors group.. it's because of Fi dom?) would be more interested in the theory I'm sure they'd complain a lot about us :wink:
ISTPs are more active here, than ISFPs and why would they would complain much?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't know.. I think they could say that we our heads in the clouds too much and the usual stereotypes. That's what I'm talking about: stereotypes. Usually intuitives say they're smarter than sensors, xxxJ are too strict etc... What I was trying to say it's that if we had as many sensors as intuitives we'll hear about xSxJ stereotypes too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts