Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be honest, I don't really know much about other types, but I do know about myself. It's not good.
I witnessed you all share your thoughts, ideas, feelings and especially problems, but do you really feel special and worthy having a place among other 15 types?
Wouldn't the world be better without INFP? No? Disagree?
Well,I have this big red button in my possesion, it says: "INFP, No good, Press here". I'm about blow the entire INFP population and I want you all to give me a good reason not to push this "INFP, No good, Press here" button. I want you all to tell me exactly what good you bring to this world, cause let's face it, we do bring a lot of baggage.
Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
To be honest, I don't really know much about other types, but I do know about myself. It's not good.
I witnessed you all share your thoughts, ideas, feelings and especially problems, but do you really feel special and worthy having a place among other 15 types?
Well,I have this big red button in my possesion, it says: "INFP, No good, Press here". I'm about blow the entire INFP population and I want you all to give me a good reason not to push this "INFP, No good, Press here" button. I want you all to tell me exactly what good you bring to this world, cause let's face it, we do bring a lot of baggage.
LOL xD

My type might be INFP, but mostly, I'm me, and I'm more than my type. I understand I'm a sort of special and worthy through people I've met in life, while I think I'm pretty normal *shrug*. I don't really care much about having a place among other types. I'm much more interested how I can use knowledge of types to improve relationships and lives.

I'm slightly worried how serious you're taking your INFP-ness, and slightly more worried that you don't even care to distinguish differences between INFP's, given how you generalize by saying "we do bring a lot of baggage".

Nonsense. A lot of people have 'baggage', no matter what type. One might as well say the world is better of without dominant T-types, since they're so bad at understanding emotions, which is just a different type of baggage. Weirdo :S

Stop projecting all of what you see is bad, also in your own life, onto every INFP.

I think you need a smack in the face - so I have time to break your red button, and for you to wake up, grow up and don't act so silly. :3

·
Registered
813 Posts
And we're responsible for mass murders, corporate corruption, evil dictatorships, and every puppy who was ever kicked, ever.

I say do it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I feel like no job values INFP qualities at all. I find myself wishing I were born some other type very often.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here's why you won't:
Because I have the balls to look you in the eye and say, "So go ahead. Push it. I DARE you."

Because I kind of want to see what would happen. Like the way some people think the rapture happens. You THINK you're really a Christian then they all disappear and you're like, oops.

So push.

·
Banned
875 Posts
Here's why you won't:
Because I have the balls to look you in the eye and say, "So go ahead. Push it. I DARE you."

Because I kind of want to see what would happen. Like the way some people think the rapture happens. You THINK you're really a Christian then they all disappear and you're like, oops.

So push.
...lol....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rant - Feel free to ignore

Probably not the best time to post - when I'm feeling resentful & upset - but this thread caused me to notice that of all the labels applied to the different MBTI types, INFPs are one of the few (if only) ones that don't have an action verb associated with the type name, with INTPs - "The Thinkers" - in close second.

INFP: "The Idealists" - While the other types are out there getting **** done, we're busy dreaming of our perfect world...and that's it; just idealizing, and not taking action to manifest said ideals (that would the ENTPs - "The Visionaries", which by virtue of exclusion CAN'T be INFPs :rolleyes:).
</cynicism>

Then again, who's to judge based on a label alone?

I realize this isn't applicable to all INFPs, so apologies if you got caught in my generalization.

I just feel like I haven't achieved a damn thing worth noting thus far in my life - been too busy putting up with the daily grind, while oh-so-slowly working on little things I'm temporarily interested in, never amounting to anything I deem substantial (then again, will it ever?).

And no, I don't plan to /wrist, nor any of its kindred. I'm just frustrated right now...:mellow:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like a very negative first post. Almost makes me question his motives for posting...

1) The fact that you admit knowing little about the MBTI is evident. You base yourself as the template for us all, when chances are you have done very little lurking here. The INFP is a very unique species, from the driven intelligent leaders like @infpblog, to the more out there members like @amethyst_butterfly. A sense of difference and lonelyness is what pulls us together, but our unique aspects are what allows the conversations that we have, the stories to tell, and the varying perspectives on a issue. You can feel bad for not being an extrovert/conventional thinker/etc. but no matter what you may feel isolated because there are fifteen more stereotypes to fit inside (and even then we, nor anybody else, fits inside of these). Here we celebrate our strengths and accept/over come our weaknesses, so come and join the party; theres room for everybody (literally).

2) We aren't special among the fifteen types, we are special because we are but one of fifteen types. Same goes for ENTJ's, ISFP's, INTJ's, and ESTJ's. We aren't any more special or important because we use Fi or Ne. Likewise a INFJ isn't any more important for using Ni or Fe. We deserve a position because nobody is more important or "better", this was a central tenant to Meyers and Keirsey's philosophy regarding the temperaments. Besides we don't get a position because Meyers looked top down and gave us the posion of being the world's idealists, the catigories were created bottom up, and we end up this way because of the way our cognitive functions end up.

3) The whether or not we deserve to live sounds like it has more to do with your self-esteem than other's esteem unto us. I will not even touch on that. I'll just say this, there are gifts that we have that others, and sometimes ourselves are not aware of; it is up to us to recognize and use these gifts. We have downsides, but so does everybody, we are not defined by our flaws but rather our actions. Decide who you want to be, but be realistic, you can be anything as long as you are yourself.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It seems that your entire argument can be summed up into one question: What do INFPs contribute to the world?

It's a silly question. Contributions aren't usually initiated by a group. A group doesn't decide to change the world. It's usually one person who made the decision and then gathered a group. It's made by an individual who ask the question, how do I contribute to the world?

Here's what I've notice. INFPs tend to ask the question of how their life will contribute beyond themselves more than other types. It's because of our tendency towards idealism. It doesn't mean we all find the answer, but at least INFPs are looking. When we do find an answer that makes sense to us, we hold onto that answer harder than most.

Listener has found his answer to how he contributes with Resource Based Economy. He promotes, educates and advocates that view as answer to a better world. Many INFPs have found their causes and contribute in their way to that cause instead of just giving lip service to it.

Yes, there are many INFPs who haven't found their way but that true with all personality types. INFPs tend blossom later. However, when they do, they make (not find) their place in the world because INFPs won't compromise to be given a place. If you pay attention to all the posts, you recognized the INFPs like OrangeAppled and telepariah who have through some crappy stuff in their life, but have found their way to live their ideal in a world that is less than ideal for everyone not just INFPs. Telepariah just quit his job at 55 so he could live the life he wanted to instead of taking what most people would consider a safe route.

And it's not about taking the safe route vs the risky route for INFPs. It's about taking their route. It's not about achievement. It's about finding their inner peace and happiness. I think when INFPs do get to that point (and sometimes it requires patience and perseverance because it takes a while), it's harder for the day-to-day inconsistencies to dislodge them from that peace. Imagine how much better would the world if everyone was able to find that sense of peace inside themselves to withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

You mention that INFPs carry baggage but I don't think it's more so than any other personality type. I do think that because of our Fi, INFPs tend to be more aware of their baggage and care how that baggage effects relationships.

I don't think it's the INFP gift to change the world. What were good at is showing other people how to live in it because that's what we've been trying to do all our lives. When other personality types have their mid-life crises wondering why their lives don't fit anymore, it's the INFP that says life has never fit for me, it doesn't have to fit and here's how to handle it.

You have to remember that Personality Cafe is a very small segment of INFPs. Most of the active participants are younger and are still trying to figure it out. If you look at the demographic for Facebook which skews older, you see INFPs who are happily married and living the life they always wanted and that it's common and not an exception. The hard part is persevering from here to there.

What INFPs contribute is what every individual contributes. We contribute our lives into this vast tableau of Life. We constantly affect everything our lives touch and what touches us in return. It's my personal belief that although INFPs are not usually the ones who change the world, we directly contribute to the lives that do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very interesting and insightful comments. The good news is that I don't really have such device in my possession. Although, if you do, let me know.
It was very interesting to observe all of your behaviour and slight hostility towards me. I must inform you, that I in no way feel suicidal or in need of stress balls, but I suppose it's only natural for you to care about my well-being :) So thank you for that.
I find it fascinating to communicate with so many species of my own, so it's only natural if i sniff you from time to time.
No harm intended. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Very interesting and insightful comments. The good news is that I don't really have such device in my possession. Although, if you do, let me know.
It was very interesting to observe all of your behaviour and slight hostility towards me. I must inform you, that I in no way feel suicidal or in need of stress balls, but I suppose it's only natural for you to care about my well-being :) So thank you for that.
I find it fascinating to communicate with so many species of my own, so it's only natural if i sniff you from time to time.
No harm intended. Thank you.
What did my butt smell like? Now I'm curious. :)

I didn't think you were being rude. I thought this was just a more creative version of "how is the world better with INFPs in it?" I enjoyed the cheek and responded in kind.

Then you sniffed. Lol

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Probably not the best time to post - when I'm feeling resentful & upset - but this thread caused me to notice that of all the labels applied to the different MBTI types, INFPs are one of the few (if only) ones that don't have an action verb associated with the type name, with INTPs - "The Thinkers" - in close second.

INFP: "The Idealists" - While the other types are out there getting **** done, we're busy dreaming of our perfect world...and that's it; just idealizing, and not taking action to manifest said ideals (that would the ENTPs - "The Visionaries", which by virtue of exclusion CAN'T be INFPs :rolleyes:).
</cynicism>

Then again, who's to judge based on a label alone?

I realize this isn't applicable to all INFPs, so apologies if you got caught in my generalization.

I just feel like I haven't achieved a damn thing worth noting thus far in my life - been too busy putting up with the daily grind, while oh-so-slowly working on little things I'm temporarily interested in, never amounting to anything I deem substantial (then again, will it ever?).

And no, I don't plan to /wrist, nor any of its kindred. I'm just frustrated right now...:mellow:
The poet in me would hate to be called an "idealizer" though. It just sounds sharp and icky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What did my butt smell like? Now I'm curious. :)

I didn't think you were being rude. I thought this was just a more creative version of "how is the world better with INFPs in it?" I enjoyed the cheek and responded in kind.

Then you sniffed. Lol
Raspberries :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts