Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have established my Enneagram type and my MBTI type. Socionics, I am in the process of learning.
I am posting this to investigate any undetected "blindspot" that I may have (admitting that I am human, thus equally capable of mistake) and reviewing my self-awareness.

I am not lacking confidence in my conclusions, nor am I hunting types. I am clarifying this to make it clear that I am not incorrectly using this survey in "blind faith" of an expectation. I respect many of the minds that I see "at work" & "at play", in this forum- Which is why I have chosen to use this as an exercise to "open myself" to the opinions and thoughts of others, particularly directed at matters to do with myself.

Your opinion is both welcomed and appreciated.
I am not discriminating between systems- you can speak on the Enneagram, MBTI, instinctual stacking, wings, tri-type, specific functions, ect.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I take Concerta, and have for over seven years. I am on/off of Seroquel, more off than on. I have a child. I am emerging from a recent "depressive episode". At the beginning of this episode, two brief jobs were briefly taken on, and I quit both within a month. I have been an unemployed, full-time student. An intensity in my episode last month resulted in me having to prematurely leave my studies at the university and I was taken to a mental health crisis response unit (by a family member). I have very little social contact and rarely leave my home. This is consistent when I am even my optimal self; but, naturally, was intensified through this episode. At one point, my physical withdrawal escalated to periods of not moving at all, but generally manifested through not moving from a position (for over 24 hours) while obsessively researching and note-taking (independent intellectual pursuits). The "worst" of my episode consisted of disturbing nightmares for months, drastic (and then complete) withdrawal from the outside world, racing thoughts and then an inability to access thoughts (resulting in an inability to write even one coherent sentence or make sense), followed by cessation of both eating and sleeping. I have drastically improved since last month, and am resumed in my constant pursuit for self-growth/development. I am a female, 21 years old, and my current state of mind existing more through form, as oppose to just through words.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_vd_merwe/13802107255/in/explore-2014-04-12

There are two shapes, one being an clear triangle, laid as a film atop a three-dimensional surface. The texture of the triangles is lined with indentation. Ridges, like a cell pattern. The patterns remind me of micro-enhanced skin cells. The direction implied by the image is at odds with the angle, from which it is shot. I perceive the orientation of the image through standing at the bottom left-hand corner, facing towardsthe upper right-hand corner. The image is awkward, but I can call it "semi-interesting". The skin cell pattern gives a life-like quality, but the remainder of the image is cartoonish and the green has a "toy-imitating-life" appearance. The contrast between the hue intensity (of the sky) and the rest of the image, is irritating. An overzealous attempt to engage the viewer's senses.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I will want to establish the familiarity each person has with automobile function and maintenance, and guide them to either organize their knowledge enough to reach a temporary theory (as a starting point, or exercise leading to discovery), or provide me with enough motor-knowledge and insight to draw out a momentary conclusion, myself. I do not drive. I feel extremely uncomfortable in cars, fearing an accident (of any kind). I would then begin to assess how the situation will negatively influence my future attitude towards driving and vehicles, building on my preexisting aversion and fear. I'd occasionally break from my thoughts, to ensure that others were actively assisting the situation (to whatever extent they could), as it'd already be detrimental enough that I would be "useless". There would be no part of me that would still be interested in attending the concert. I'd first suggest, then attempt to convince, others that we should all go home. I also would do all that was in my power to try and leave, as soon as I could. This would be more difficult than expected, as I often do not use a cell phone. (I don't like to be available to others at their whim, nor do I like to feel imposed upon by another casually reaching out to me when I am not open to contact)

This is an ideal reaction. However, if it could be speculated that the breakdown was a result of someone else's carelessness, I would become highly irritable. Depending on the people, I may begin criticizing and insulting (returning into shutdown states in between, as if to take myself out from the situation and their access). I would refuse to talk with anyone, only at them. I would actively be trying to leave, but I would make it clear that I only cared about myself leaving, and that they were not my responsibility. I'd express a "every man for themselves" mentality, while also implying that any constructive solution reached by the group (as a whole), or another individual person, must also consider my well-being.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

My perception of them distorts to highlight their flaw in processing. I'd wonder how they even get through day-to-day life, acting on ideas with a clear indifference towards actual thinking. I will actually try and imagine it, as though my thoughts were reading a fiction book that was depicting a character- with the exception that I am actively engaged (I have to fill in the every detail, every blank). I feel very removed from them. I will believe that it is impossible for me to relate to them in any way, the only options being to control and manipulate the situation. I contemplate their personality by a.) what drives are most active in that moment b.) what drives are most dominant, in general- not in comparison with a specific typology theory. I draw on useful and relevant information from all human-personality exposure I've had (personal research, personal experience, school (psychology and philosophy courses), anecdotal, Enneagram, MBTI, books and readings on personality disorders and mental illness, searching for similarities to people I am more familiar with). I organize what I can observe and craft connections- using this to manipulate the situation, in whatever way will ensure my comfort (and well-being). The objective is to change their mind. I will assume what approach compliments my conclusions. I will not reach out to the other friends to help, or whisper amongst them. If a friend seems to have similar goals, I will work with this. If a friend disagrees, I will remain in my complimentary approach (to manipulate the driver), but belittle that friend. I will imply that they are not capable of making clear, logical decisions; exposing "obvious" selfish motives that they would have for wanting to go.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I will let them continue to talk at first, allowing them to make their claim. In my perspective, this weakens their own argument, in addition to drawing out (at least some) subjectivity, or mistake, in their claim. I will only with my words. I will not face them or make eye contact, I refuse to give their position the true time of day or seem "interested". I may become arrogant and smile, or I could talk like I am taken aback - a method employed to have them question their assertions. However, I tend to dissect arguments more often than I match them with an alternative. This is through strategic questioning, intended to reveal several biases and holes in their "claim". Following this, I will ask questions which indirectly (or directly) criticize the individual's ability to interpret information, more than I will critique the actual information. My goal is not to tell the person that they are wrong- my intention is to prove that they are unprepared, unreflective, emotional, misguided, impressionable, gullible, uninformed, unreliable, and stupid. The target-individual is the one that I am concerned with having gain this impression. I want them to absorb this list, having this impression of themselves (ideally, in third-person).

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

This is vague. I'll attempt to answer it, but I also will acknowledge the obvious, and state that my reaction is dependent on numerous factors specific to the situation: individuals involved, power distribution, intensity- or relevance to my life, at that time. I rarely would insert myself directly into a situation with "friends", knowns, or strangers. This isn't out of any (conscious, at least) feelings of cowardice. If I am going to be involved in any situation, especially "visible involved", I am only going to do so if I will be associated either with a functional role, or outcome. I will want to have handled the situation most effectively, to reflect my own application of knowledge and understanding. This can prevent me from acting in situations, as I refuse to be inadequate. If I do not act, I'll analyze the situation (long after it's end) for ways that I "could" have acted- ways, which would demonstrate my ability. If it's casual, I will unload facts and information- making connections faster than most people can follow. They often stop me, or become unresponsive, which is both unattractive and disappointing.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Curiosity - being dissatisfied with statements and uncomfortable with the unknown; only finding satisfaction through searching & understanding, comfort only can come through either knowing or knowing what you (or is) not known (or true).

Knowledge - the ability to acquire information, understand information, develop information, use and apply information, relate information, produce information.

Attractiveness/ Magnetism - the ability to make others feel safe (by appearing competent and knowledgeable), interested (by being interesting, an "enigma", having so much knowledge that I am perceived "unknowable"), or interesting (act as though they have convinced me that they are smart or interesting ways that I am not, in order to convince them that they may be these things, thus making my presence in their life "addictive"); so that they will protect you.

Wisdom - to partially support previous value of attractiveness/ magnetism (appear safe and priceless), and to protect myself.

Connection - to have internal purpose, until I can gain external purpose. Feel connected to subjects, pursuits, creating and developing. The objective is not to feel chemistry, but electricity. An internal pull. To feel something inside of my chest, as oppose to feeling that I am full of filling. To engage feeling and mind, instead of just mind. To feel involved, to "know" that I exist.

Competence - usefulness, in all of life's arenas. A lesser understood association, would be "romantic connection": I must feel as though I am grooming someone who possesses untapped potential to be great, ideally a leader. I have to use my knowledge and resources, in combination with a perfect female presence, to maximize their potential- often a dark potential, I harbour an attraction to men in politics (such as, Vladimir Putin) and, more uncommonly, actors like Alec Baldwin. I am attracted to the idea of developing demons, so they can be externalized, as opposed to repressed, resented, or indulged in. I want to make beasts out of monsters. This, in my mind, would be how I would demonstrate my female-competence. Simple aspects include: answering questions, explaining things to others (educating), influencing others- being the highest rank of useful.

Solitude - to undermine the opportunity of external interference. eliminate distraction and useless influence. to connect with thoughts or intellectual pursuits. to lose the outside world. to think exclusively, to connect. to contemplate. to avoid social responsibility (acknowledging others, conversation, etiquette). to stabilize, as oppose to moving in sequence. to develop myself. to review all aspects of life. to daydream about future events or "my future life". to prepare. to preserve. to become or to remain pure in perfection, intelligence, and uniqueness.

Other values are connected with these listed values or build off of them- authenticity (to be useful, attractive), introspection (authenticity, understanding, knowledge, connection, competence), potential, mysterious, awareness, control, dignity, ect.

I understand my values because, throughout my whole life, I have taken an interest in understanding myself. I suppose with achievement, adversity, and experience- values can change.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I am distinguished by a devotion to both my intellectual life and pursuits. I am distinguished by my social independence and indifference (i.e. long periods of withdrawal, going days without communication, uninterested in social events and activities, uninterested in-person encounters). I am distinguished by my "unique" relationship with my "love life" (going over a year without sex by choice, not having a sex drive unless with an individual with the desired potential, indifference to advances, withdrawing, indifference). I am distinguished by my interests (reading, researching, documentaries) and the subjects that I become interested in (history, philosophy, psychology, insects, biology, politics, literature, health, ect.). I am also distinguished by how much I reveal, but also how much I withhold and deny others (pulling them in to look from one angle, but not touch, so to speak- not allowing them to truly get to know me, only allowing an experience of me). I am distinguished by my tendency to become callous, cruel, cold, and manipulative. I am distinguished by my eccentricity.

If I could change one thing about my personality, it would be interpersonal. I would feel more about people, than just "used to them". I would feel that it was more than only a matter of either being "of use" to them, or of them being "of use" to me. I would be affectionate, to a reasonable-degree. I would be more dependable. I would be dependent. I would like to feel more involved. I'd like to be concerned with strengthening relationships, and make time for people (esp. in person); I want to feel like I am living and not just becoming- experiencing, instead of always developing.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I react to "hunches" primarily inside of my mind. Once in focus there, it will be a "research topic"- self-knowledge, academic knowledge, past research, new research, reading, analyzing, contemplating, planning - all of these things, become responses. The reactions are often detached. This happens only in one-on-one social situations, or romantic situations, when I can't feel the direction or approach consistent with my ideals. The response can be dismissal or hurtful- regardless, my position is one of withdrawing and rejecting their presence and influence in my life. I often will do this without warning or explanation. I don't feel obligated to explain anything to anyone who is guaranteed to respond with an emotional reaction, nor do I want to deal with an sign of emotional upset. Although, there are times where I am verbal, but it is as though I am a mediator or, if need be, almost "parent" speaking on behalf of myself.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
The activities which energies me the most, dual as the activities that drain me the most. This can be generalized by "pursuit" & "connection". These activities energize me, because they engage me. They make me involved. They drain me because they either end or stabilize, causing me to "come down". I lose my involvement. I'm empty and mourning the loss of feeling- to expand, feeling that I am engaged.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

The entire time I am with others, I am working to:
A.) Keep them interested in me, but not attached to me.
B.) Protect myself from them
C.) Give them one only one part of me, withholding the rest. To avoid giving myself away, losing myself- intimacy.
D.) Have them invest in my thoughts, but not my presence.
I want to make half of an impression. I mainly exist, in the social world, through the impression other's have of me - due to my lack of involvement.

If I am with strangers, I try to blend in. I do not want to draw attention to myself in any way. I do not want to make a social or functional mistake, causing me to look incompetent. I don't want to make an impression.
I do all of this, to protect myself- as repeatedly stated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi @onyxbrain, I would agree that you are INTP. I am thinking 5w4 for enneagram.
As for tritype, perhaps 5w4-9w8-3w4/4w3?
I'm not very familiar with socionics, so I wouldn't be able to give much of an opinion there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts