Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've experienced depersonalization and derealization far too often in my life, and I've read that it's pretty common for INFPs. I've also read complaints from other NFs about this phenomena. It's frightening because we feel and are away from ourselves -- we need work from a subjective point of view unless otherwise trying to be objective. At least for me, having Fi as my primary function makes introspection extremely necessary and essential to my everyday life. I also hate feeling as if I am in a dream, and already question reality constantly. Yet, I have read about NTs enjoying depersonalization because they feel it is the only true time they believe they are objective. Discuss.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also hate feeling as if I am in a dream, and already question reality constantly.
This may sound silly, but that reminds me of Inception quite a bit. I actually do carry around an object with me, not so that I can make sure that this is not a dream, but because it gets me out of my episodes of depersonalization. looking at my object and focusing on different parts of it can help me get back into myself. It can be anything from a penny to a D-20 like me, but having something has always helped me to focus on the here and now.
Another thing about depersonalization; I found out about it one night after saying that I feel like the main character of The Stranger sometimes, the moods he goes through in the books. Later that night I happened on the wiki entry for depersonalization, and there he was, mentioned under the fictional characters section! Talk about an absurd night! :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
WARNING: lame personal story. Proceed with caution. This is not 'depersonalization' as a clinical symptom, just relating my personal story to the topic. I do not mean for illogical/lack of sense to = feeling. 'Feeling' is still a rational function. The conclusion and below is the most relevant.

:personal story starts:
Depersonalization (in the non-clinical, detached sense of the word) has really saved me. As an NT and an young adolescent, I would often have very surprising attacks of emotion. It was as if I was discovering emotion for the first time, and I felt I had absolutely no control over it. I basically hated the world for not making sense, so I lashed out at everyone (especially authorities). I'm still very uncomfortable even thinking about this period in my life. -hopes that someone relates- -rationalizes that hope as occurring from the inferior Fe function need to fit in-

After a few years, I had an epiphany. Well, it was more like a 'paradigm' shift (depersonalization). Even if people and societies don't intrinsically make sense (everyone having emotions and being prone to lapses in judgement), they are logical in the philosophical, big-picture of the universe. Determinism gives meaning to the illogical. It's obviously not as simple as discovering the theory of determinism, but it's a good way to explain the feeling. I can detach from drama and complicated relationships. The emotions are still there, but they actually come up less often since I view everything with a different lens. Everything just feels less real because I'm not having to deal with the same things anymore. In that way, my experience feels very depersonalized.

:End of personal story:

Conclusion: Detachment doesn't have to mean being disconnected from all of your emotions. You can detach from experiences and still be grounded to your emotional experience. It's all about having the ability to come back to 'reality'. No one can ignore their personal or 'outer' reality indefinitely.

NT's probably like the feeling of objectivity from depersonalization because they can 'ignore' their emotions for a while. I hate admitting it, but I do still have a bit to learn about emotional control. NF's would probably hate it because their main functions involve Feeling! How lost I would be if suddenly I could not judge things based on my internal logic framework! Holy crap, long post. Congrats to whoever gets through it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is depersonalization somewhat similar to dissociation? If it is, than I do that all the time. It's how I cope with overwhelming emotions. Without it I think I would go crazy. It doesn't disturb me usually, sometimes it's the only way I can mellow out. I should say that I'm not an NT, I'm NF. So you would think it would bother me, but it doesn't. I've always been extremely sensitive to outside impressions, and dissociating is my only escape from my emotional intensity.

Reactions: Ylajali
1 - 4 of 4 Posts