Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone! Hope you're having a nice weekend. :happy:

As I was reading a book about Daoism that I got for a school assignment, I thought:

1) what type or quadra might the daoism philosophy / lifestyle be related to?

2) How do other ENFPs, perhaps older, wiser or more experienced at life than me, deal with overcoming inner stress created by ...i don't know, a myriad of things.

[an example i might delete later: ] Conflicts with teachers (or the feeling that they just don't like you because you don't live up to what a student should be like, but you have no motivation or a wish to change or break yourself to be like that..), add a feeling of not really being at the right place professionally and not having a clear idea you'd like any other university any better, but you still need to have a diploma to be considered a serious person. :D

I wouldn't say that there's nothing good about the school i'm in right now. I have met the biggest amount of wonderful people there, and i have come to like some things i didn't think i'd ever like - for example, painting and sewing... But I just struggle with myself so often when just thinking of the place, i feel stress even when there is no real reason to feel it,I have a hard time trying to bring myself to do the assignments required there (and it's art, for ... sake, so - stereotypically and ironically almost true - anyone should like to be creative and do art!), and I guess that's why I wanted to ask this question here

- maybe somebody else of this forum's ENFP's has gone through a similar experience with schools and has a piece of wisdom to write down? :) (because i have decided to finish this school, but i'd looove some advice on how to manage stress created by a feeling of 'this feels so irrelevant/unimportant, why the hell am i doing this' and not-really-conflicts, but a bit of a tense feeling when talking to teachers, etc.) I'm really sorry for the sad-sounding text.

A huge thank you to anyone who will actually read this pile of text and maybe even respond in an optimistical manner. :)

Have a nice saturday and sunday! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried mindfulness meditation? I think our minds easily drift toward all the other things we could be doing, feeling like we're being limited by our current situation (having to be in school, having to be in *this* school, etc.). This has been a core issue for me in every phase of my life including school, and I wish I could say it goes away on its own, but it hasn't for me, even now years later. It requires effort. Practicing mindfulness is a great way to train your brain to narrow your focus and attend to the present moment, including where you are at a high level in your life right now.

The advice I would give to myself at every stage is to simplify, focus on those things that are most meaningful to you, and "be here now." It sounds like things actually aren't too bad in your current situation, and you're doing well by recognizing what you do like (painting, sewing, the people you've met). Keep appreciating and enjoying these things. Recognize that there will always be ups and downs emotionally and a tendency towards wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere, but when your future self looks back on this time in your life, she won't remember or care about your fantasies, she'll remember what actually happened. No matter what the circumstances were, she'll be most likely to do so fondly if you made the most of whatever the situation offered and were fully present to experience it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dang.. I clicked on this thread thinking "Oh boy.. I sure can use some advice" only to see no one has replied yet. :p

So, I'm 52, and I am a stress monger. Always worried. My wife constantly tells me "this isn't a death situation" because I constantly seeing the bad that could happen in a situation, we laugh, and then I generally lighten up.

Some of the stress you feels is because you probably have so many things going on, but you are likely disorganized and you feel the shiiet is going to hit the fan sooner or later.

ENFPs are horrible about procrastinating, and being disorganized, at least I do. One thing that has helped me reduce my stress about that type of stress is to use ToDo lists. I found a system called "How to Get Things Done" that is basically todo lists on steriods. It is primarily intended to get "projects" into super small steps that can be tackled. It is also intended to get things on paper so you don't need to try and remember them which is where the stress releif comes in.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I was also going to suggest meditating. I haven't started yet, but an INTJ on the forums (I think it was HumanBeing) suggested it and said it works for him. All my INFP friends also do it and say it helps relieve stress. So I'm looking into it. I might even give yoga a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts