Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get really anxious before they order something or is it just me? I really have no idea why that happens, but I'm getting better at it...a little. Lol

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yeah, I get that. My mum had to order for me at restaurants until I was well into my teens because I was so afraid of doing it myself. It was also complicated by the fact that I have a severe (as in, potentially life-threatening) nut and peanut allergy, so it was always necessary to ask about the ingredients and cooking facilities at restaurants.

I don't really face that scenario very often anymore, as I almost never eat out anywhere. (Comes with the territory of having an eating disorder for over 12 years...) Usually anything that I order anywhere these days falls under the category of tea, coffee or alcohol, which is not really all that nerve-wracking, thankfully. On the rare occasion that I do order food somewhere though... yeah, it's not my favourite experience. The whole scenario of even eating in public, in front of other people, is so bizarre and disconcerting to me.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The moment I saw the title... *shudder*

Haha, well maybe not. But I'm not the best at ordering food. Feels slightly awkward, for some reason. Not really sure why. :p

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I wouldn't get anxious but I do feel a little bit awkward about it. I can't explain it but it's like a matter of life and death for me on a very mild note. ^^

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I eat out a lot, like every day, so it doesn't really bother me. But I still get a little self-conscious sometimes. Sometimes I am afraid they won't hear me right, so I try to say it very clearly and then I realize that my tone of voice probably sounds condescending and I feel like a jerk.

Also, I get this pressure to order everything really fast. I want it to be done with asap. So I often forget to say "hold the onions" or something like that because I put too much pressure on myself to not waste time. Like at someplace like Subway where you have to list off all the shit you want on your sandwich, I HATE that. I will stand in line and go over and over what I want in my head so that when it's my turn I can just bust it all out at once and have it over and not trouble them with asking me every little question like "what kind of bread? do you want it toasted? 6 inch or footlong? what kind of cheese?" etc. I feel like I am bothering them by not having everything all set right from the first sentence. I try not to make anyone ask me any questions. It's stupid, but it makes me feel guilty when they have they have to ask me these things. Like, damn, I should have told you in the beginning! I'm sorry!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I don't really have a problem with it... sometimes its annoying though when I have to request they leave out the ingredient I'm allergic to. I have to say it over and over and make a big fuss or it will somehow end up on my plate... which happens when I order sushi. I have to write in exclamations "NO SESAME PLEASE!!!!" and plaster it all over the slip over and over horizontal, vertical diagonal..lol... and tell the waitress twice and even with all of this 30% chance it will come back with sesame seeds all over it.

Tangent .. but anyway.... yeah.. it stresses me out a little... this. ^ Normally I'm fine. :)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I don't like ordering food, but it's either that or I learn to cook... pretty easy decision for me.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I eat out a lot, like every day, so it doesn't really bother me. But I still get a little self-conscious sometimes. Sometimes I am afraid they won't hear me right, so I try to say it very clearly and then I realize that my tone of voice probably sounds condescending and I feel like a jerk.

Also, I get this pressure to order everything really fast. I want it to be done with asap. So I often forget to say "hold the onions" or something like that because I put too much pressure on myself to not waste time. Like at someplace like Subway where you have to list off all the shit you want on your sandwich, I HATE that. I will stand in line and go over and over what I want in my head so that when it's my turn I can just bust it all out at once and have it over and not trouble them with asking me every little question like "what kind of bread? do you want it toasted? 6 inch or footlong? what kind of cheese?" etc. I feel like I am bothering them by not having everything all set right from the first sentence. I try not to make anyone ask me any questions. It's stupid, but it makes me feel guilty when they have they have to ask me these things. Like, damn, I should have told you in the beginning! I'm sorry!
I'll definitely pass by a place like that nine times out of ten in favor of somewhere where you don't have to do a secret handshake to get yer grub. I'll also subtly alter the names for menu items if they're especially whacky. :p

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Funny that you ask this because today I went to Subway during my lunch break. I rarely go to subway because it takes me like 20 minutes to get my order. There is always a lot of people waiting in line. When I go to Taco Bell or other fast food restaurants it takes less time and is plain simple.

I really hate all the stupid questions they ask me. Do you want lettuce? tomatoes? olives? Its a sandwich for Gods sake!!! a sandwich is not a sandwich without lettuce and tomato so skip those fucking questions.

I am not nervous of taking my order at fast food restaurant it just happens at subway.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'll definitely pass by a place like that nine times out of ten in favor of somewhere where you don't have to do a secret handshake to get yer grub. I'll also subtly alter the names for menu items if they're especially whacky. :p

I want an example of your altering of food names. that sounds fun!

Yeah, the whole secret handshake thing... gets tiring. I just want to say "give me a sandwich" and then it's over. I like those restaurants that have about 5 menu items and you order and you always get the same thing. They have five things they do really well and that's what you get. However, I used to go to this health food place that was owned by this totally unreliable flaky-ass dude who didn't know crap about running a business (it closed eventually, no big surprise) and they only had 5 sandwiches you could order. You would think these five sandwiches would be consistent but no. Every time I ordered the same sandwich, it was made totally differently depending on what new person was working that day. It drove me crazy. You get a craving for something and you go back to the place and order it again and it's not the same thing! So annoying. Anyway...

I wonder how many INFPs are likely to send food back if they get your order wrong? Or what if the order is right but it just tastes really bad? Are you gonna complain? My guess is most INFPs are gonna grin and bear it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I want an example of your altering of food names. that sounds fun!

Yeah, the whole secret handshake thing... gets tiring. I just want to say "give me a sandwich" and then it's over. I like those restaurants that have about 5 menu items and you order and you always get the same thing. They have five things they do really well and that's what you get. However, I used to go to this health food place that was owned by this totally unreliable flaky-ass dude who didn't know crap about running a business (it closed eventually, no big surprise) and they only had 5 sandwiches you could order. You would think these five sandwiches would be consistent but no. Every time I ordered the same sandwich, it was made totally differently depending on what new person was working that day. It drove me crazy. You get a craving for something and you go back to the place and order it again and it's not the same thing! So annoying. Anyway...

I wonder how many INFPs are likely to send food back if they get your order wrong? Or what if the order is right but it just tastes really bad? Are you gonna complain? My guess is most INFPs are gonna grin and bear it.
Eh, if it's one of those goofy ones where it's 4 adjectives followed by a noun. "Big cheesy juicy something or other." Don't make me perform for food. :D

I don't remember ever sending food back; I might complain if they really messed up but that's one venue where I'm not a risk taker. If it's bad enough that I can't eat it, then I'm done. If it just sucks then I'll suck it up and probably not return.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Like at someplace like Subway where you have to list off all the shit you want on your sandwich, I HATE that. I will stand in line and go over and over what I want in my head so that when it's my turn I can just bust it all out at once and have it over and not trouble them with asking me every little question like "what kind of bread? do you want it toasted? 6 inch or footlong? what kind of cheese?" etc. I feel like I am bothering them by not having everything all set right from the first sentence. I try not to make anyone ask me any questions. It's stupid, but it makes me feel guilty when they have they have to ask me these things. Like, damn, I should have told you in the beginning! I'm sorry!
I always wait for them to ask me the questions at Subway, since I feel like I'm giving them too much to remember if I tell them everything at once. I never considered that it might be a hassle for them to keep asking questions >.>

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
A bit, yes.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
Yeah for some reason it allways was awckward for me, but I'm better at it now. I do feel kind of wierd though saying no onions, tomatoes, or cheese. But whatever. This thread is making me hungry now.

·
Registered
17,194 Posts
I used to be completely afraid to take a VERY short walk to the local shops for pizza or fish and ships when my parents left me money to buy my lunch while I was home. I can do it but im still not very inclined, I guess im used to starving myself for a while and once i get really hungry then I think okay Thomas I dont care you need to eat. I snack a lot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts