Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your experience with this strange phenomena?

Have you had to file one? Several? Was it ever violated?

Or did you have one filed against you unjustly?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
A few years ago my mom and my brother and my dad all had restraining orders against EACH OTHER. And they violated them continually so my brother wouldn't be homeless. He would live with my dad until my dad got tired of his shit, then he'd live with my mom until she got tired of his shit, etc etc. My family is very classy.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
A piece of paper doesn't do much to stop something, though in a situation here in which it was pretty much some form of restraining order, what it did do is make a clear precedent that a person wasn't allowed to do particular things and if caught doing so could be arrested immediately.
That's perhaps the benefit in that don't have to go about explaining and proving your case that someone was in the wrong, once the line has been established, a person will be told clearly what they shouldn't do, if they break it there isn't much discussion around if they did something wrong.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
there are several versions depending on jurisdiction.

often in domestic violence. If nothing else, it causes everyone to cool off. In Idaho the original quick deal is easy to get, and has no lasting repercussions for the accused other than to leave the other person alone.

It takes a LOT to get a long term one issued, and that is a BIG deal long term for the person accused.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts