Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post here. I looked for other threads along this topic but I couldn't really find any.

I am a terribly disorganized person. I always have been, and I understand this is a typical personality trait of INFPs.

I WANT to be more organized, but i just can't...seem to be. Especially when it comes to my house, which looks like a war zone at the moment. My landlord is threatening to kick me out over it, so I really need to come up with something. I've tried schedules and structures and I can never stick to them.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone here has methods for overcoming disorganization? Thanks :]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi this is my first post here. I looked for other threads along this topic but I couldn't really find any.

I am a terribly disorganized person. I always have been, and I understand this is a typical personality trait of INFPs.

I WANT to be more organized, but i just can't...seem to be. Especially when it comes to my house, which looks like a war zone at the moment. My landlord is threatening to kick me out over it, so I really need to come up with something. I've tried schedules and structures and I can never stick to them.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone here has methods for overcoming disorganization? Thanks :]
I don't try to overcome my disorganization, I embrace it! :laughing:

But when I have to have everything perfect, I just take a day and do it. Everytime I buck up and just clean, I enjoy it. I come across a lot of sentimental stuff in the process that I've missed for a long time and I rock out to my music. I think if there's some way you can find enjoyment when you have to tidy up, it would make it loads easier for you. Hope that helps a little :happy:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Post up a few pictures, I'm serious too :D. (I'll give an honest response after)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm disorganized as well, but I know where everything is. I'm guessing yours may be a bit to the extreme.

Nonetheless, I have 3 main things that are generally always near me.
1. Garbage Can
2. Recycle Bin
3. A hamper for clothes (room / bathroom)

In that sense, you should eliminate a reasonable abundance of your mess.

The remaining things I'm guessing are... dishes, basic dirt (dust / a floor that needs a vacuum), unfolded 'clean' laundry, etc. Then just basic disorganization from there (things not being kept in their rightful place).

Perhaps you may want to setup a simple schedule of doing a particular task every day. So ie:
Monday - vacuum
Tuesday - Clean the bathroom
Wednesday - Laundry day - wash and fold
etc

Doing a bunch of things at once will overwhelm most people, but a 1 task a day isn't too rough.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate schedules...so...much! But I'll try this one-day-at-a-time thing, tyvm~ :]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The remaining things I'm guessing are... dishes, basic dirt (dust / a floor that needs a vacuum), unfolded 'clean' laundry, etc.
Clean laundry is the bane of my existence. I love doing my laundry, but hate folding it and putting it away. I don't know why.

Do you have any roommates or anything? If so you can find out what they don't mind to do or hate to do, compare that to what you like and don't like doing and figure something out.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Clean laundry is the bane of my existence. I love doing my laundry, but hate folding it and putting it away. I don't know why.
Well, looks like I have to cross you off the potential soulmate list.

I can't fold my own laundry whatsoever. The past few days I've been leaving with 2 different socks, usually 1 white 1 black, because I was in such a rush to go. If my clothes are somewhat wrinkly, I have to toss them in the dryer real quick then zip out.

Similarly, I can do dishes (by hand!), but I can't for the life of me DRY or put them away. Oy! They dry themselves if you put them off to the side and what's the point in putting them away if you can just grab it from where it's drying. Grrrr, you got me all fired up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Do you have any roommates or anything? If so you can find out what they don't mind to do or hate to do, compare that to what you like and don't like doing and figure something out.
IKR? I like DOING the laundry, but the clothes always end up scattered across the floor. My bedroom is a tide of clothes at the moment.

I don't have room mates, I live alone. When i do live with people - even well organized people - my disorganization seems to rub off on them, and it all becomes a mess. XD Augh!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well, looks like I have to cross you off the potential soulmate list.

I can't fold my own laundry whatsoever. The past few days I've been leaving with 2 different socks, usually 1 white 1 black, because I was in such a rush to go. If my clothes are somewhat wrinkly, I have to toss them in the dryer real quick then zip out.

Similarly, I can do dishes (by hand!), but I can't for the life of me DRY or put them away. Oy! They dry themselves if you put them off to the side and what's the point in putting them away if you can just grab it from where it's drying. Grrrr, you got me all fired up.
Hahaha. Putting away dishes I'm fine with..laundry is just my main issue..That and papers everywhere. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'm gonna have to hire a cleaning lady someday :tongue:

What type of mess is your issue, owlboy?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i feel your pain. this is one of the things people harp on at me about. I already stacked them neatly on the counter, why do i have to stack them AGAIN in a drawer or cupboard??

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What type of mess is your issue, owlboy?
mostly dishes, clothes, and paper. paper everywhere. thing is, I'm such a space head that if i DO manage to put things away, i forget about them completely. So leaving them out is like... an easy reach system.

Hmm.. maybe I should label my drawers/cupboards or something.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
mostly dishes, clothes, and paper. paper everywhere. thing is, I'm such a space head that if i DO manage to put things away, i forget about them completely. So leaving them out is like... an easy reach system.

Hmm.. maybe I should label my drawers/cupboards or something.

Or you could have stacks out of similar things so they're still in reach, but a little more organized. Like mail in one stack, schoolwork in another, etc.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I score a high P but initially I did question if I might be a J because I love schedules and I admire people who can follow them successfully.

I have always wasted ridiculous amounts of time creating and typing up schedules for; meal planners, weekly activities including housework, weekly planner for the kids, outgoing expenses for the coming year, a fasting schedule when I went through that phase, and holidays/weekend trips that we might take for the coming year.

My latest schedules are a complete itemised list of what clothes I need to buy for myself and the kids for the coming year, including the exact dates when I should buy them; and also a list of what birthdays will occur through the year and what dates I need to buy and post off their presents to make sure I am never late or harrassed by it. Am I weird or what? It drives my husband absolutely nuts!

But I have this compulsion simply because I can't bear to be bogged down by having to think about such mundane details on a regular basis. I want my thought processes to be free from restraints ie free to dream, and that would be impossible if I had to consider practicalities all the time => one very unhappy infp.

I'm always proud of my schedules at the time of creation. Sadly, to date, I have never actually followed one afterwards, which is what gave me the P score in testing. By the time I've finished a schedule, I can barely make head nor tail of it. But I'm determined to follow these latest two!!!

I had to be very organised with paperwork for my last job. Although I liked the work, I regularly took some home at nights to finish off, and I beat myself up for being unable to stay on top of it. It made me depressed for a long time. If only I'd known back then that, as a dreamer, my personality just wasn't suited to that kind of intense paperwork.

So yes, I'm extremely disorganised but I would love to be organised!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi this is my first post here. I looked for other threads along this topic but I couldn't really find any... My landlord is threatening to kick me out over it, so I really need to come up with something...
Haha, you just reminded me of the last tenant I had in a property that I own and rent out. I didn't know about mbti then, but I realise now on reflection that my tenant must have been INFP too. He had clutter on every conceivable surface, which was never cleared no matter how many times I visited him (we became friends so I would visit regularly).

One time, the clutter looked surprisingly neat and tidy, but still piled up everywhere. He was genuinely thrilled with himself and thought the place looked immaculate! He'd had a "clear-out". Hmmmm... lmao.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi!

I'm also super unorganized, messy and connect everything I own with certain memories, thats why I hate to throw things away, eventhoug it might make my life a lot easier.

I always feel that especially when I'm pushed by someone else to be organized I do the opposite even more.
but If I really have to tidy up, because its getting to much I put like a 1 hour alarm on my alarmclock so I really have to hurry to clean everything before the alarm goes off. Its sounds weird, but at least this way creates a little sense of Urgency on me.

Also, I start cleaning up when I should be doing something else, like writing an assignment, just to get around doing this.

But in the end I love my chaos, because at least this way I always know where to look for something - once I get organized I don't find anything anymore ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts