1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I know so far, I dont care for J/P, I am simply just late to meetings, or messy in ordering stuff. I usually not make a schedule or plan and stick to it... altho I am INFJ

·
Registered
15,054 Posts
I type as ISTP, but I know I come across as a J type (especially to people who follow dichotomy rather than cognitive functions, I can seem quite ISTJ-ish and have been typed that way).

Dichotomy-wise, I'm probably stereotypical J over P, but I hate dichotomy typing.

- I absolutely love making lists and organizing them in some way (alphabetically, from greatest quantity to least if applicable, etc.).
- I have a great memory and keeping track of my responsibilities comes easily to me.
- I prefer sticking to a schedule and feel somewhat stressed whenever I have to stray from it.
- I'm fairly punctual (On-time around 80% of the time, early 15%, fashionably late 4%, and really late 1%).
- I'm very strict about keeping up with my hygiene. I shower at least once a day (twice is preferable), floss twice a day, and brush my teeth three to four times a day.

I am enneagram type 6, which probably contributes to some of this.

I am really messy, though. My car and my bedroom always look like dumpsters, and I don't give a shit about that.

I guess I am selectively organized.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After considering cognitive functions, my belief is that one's J/P leaning has little to do with one's organisational ability. I'm an INTJ, which according to some descriptions, is meant to be one of the most organised types of all; my own organisational ability, however, is really the polar opposite. I'm rather disastrous at organisation, I almost have a chronic ability to miss deadlines, and I'm always hurrying to somewhere because I'm about to be late.

I've also known a few P types who are rather organised, such as ISFPs and ESTPs. I personally think organisational ability is more of a behavioural trait rather than something to do with cognitive functions. (this may be different if your interpretation of MBTI is more in line with the Big 5)

Reactions: counterintuitive

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think 'organized' is rather more aspiration rather than actuality, in the sense of judgers always aspire to organize themselves be it in their own mind or in the physical world, vice versa for the perceivers.

Then come behaviors, things which are being shaped by how one grew themselves.

In the end of the day, aspiration (is being forced) to made peace with the actual behavior. They could co-exist however contradictory it sounds.

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
Organized Perceivers
It's actually case-by-case if someone is "organized".
Not all J types are in fact organized, or perhaps the common understanding of organized, since everyone has their own way of being organized.

·
Registered
Mafia playing cat
820 Posts
Sometimes I'm organized because I have to be, and I think I've gotten better at remembering what I have to do and getting stuff done. I think that's more of an adaptation to my environment than an actual change in my personality or evidence I'm not a perceiver. I don't want to put in the effort to be organized but sometimes I have to. As far as neatness in my environment, I'm not neat at all.

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,850 Posts
My profession has helped me become more organized overall - it's necessary for success. I would consider myself an organized person and good at keeping track of things. My Ti demands some sort of logical consistency if I need to commit to something.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
I can see ESTP being more organized Ps

I'm hit or miss

Depends on the what, but also mental health and how busy I am

If I had to guess many at work could mistake somethings as J. Mainly because I tend to be strict about environmental well being in work related ways. Also systematic charting and record keeping. Um that is just because I understand working in public service what is required in sanitation with service as well as compliance. And well a good system from the get go and sticking to it is what keeps it all cohesive. Even down to quality of service.

But TBH I am way better at setting up sites in my industry to have it be a well oiled machine or to do check backs on quality assurance than I am suited to regimently stick with the routines I design. BUT BUT BUT to be fair its because I am usually too distracted with organizational design and development which is more my strength (I'm mostly suited to come up with he design, implement, train, and leave for an Si user to manage (heard that somewhere and it was dead on really applied to me).

But my kids know I am definitely a P. Their largest complaint is how much I dislike planning or regimenting my day anywhere that it is not required of me. I do not even care to commit to timelines of when I will drop them off somewhere if it is not required. A big way to make me crabby is force me into an unnecessary plan. Not to be confused with what I distinguish as obvious things all people have to plan to some degree.

My kids would both also say I am good at designing the set up of the ergonomic organization within the home, de clutter, and being minimal. I am sort of a short term slob. I throw my stuff random spots. Makes them complain because of their chores.

Anyways I am currently writing my own business plan, as well as another persons. Point being my head just does go into enterprise mode and so in order to streamline whatever the fuck it is that is my project of the moment I tune out the fine details after I implement them and leave them for others. Not because I am being lazy because I can only have room for so much

I really sound like a dick when I type this, but I swear I am always working hard on alot. Consistency on daily tasks is not a strength but organizational management is probably my largest strength both professionally as well even on a functional personal level.

I have had a messy room or something though like when depressed or like working 80 hour work weeks. But overall I am a picked up person.

I know a few ENFJs who are bigger slobs than me btw but function wise they are still ENFJ

·
Code Cracked
7,650 Posts
When I was younger everything was organized down to my sock drawer (my parents are neat freaks and I used to be) Now, it is hit or miss. It may look like a mess to someone else but, it is my organized mess. I know where everything is.

I explained it like this to my INFP friend before...
She is surface level tidy. Things put in place but, nasty as far as not cleaning/sanitizing anything. I am a deep cleaner with a disorganized look. My house so, I do not care.

Working from home has posed more of a problem and the ton of projects I have going and things I am doing everyday.
I go through mega organizational phases though. My fridge, every cabinet/ drawer in my house, room getting an overhaul....

Work wise I am organized but, same type. I may have a stack of papers but, I know what is in the stack and why I have it there. Someone else may just think it is a mess in a pile.

Personal life ~ plans... I have been asked to go to the beach recently on a Monday and said it was too early for me to give an answer (I would be leaving Friday). I am kind of in the do what I want when I want without having to be committed to stuff. I will admit if it were me, I would want an answer early to make other plans if need be. shrugs I did not say it was right just where I am at. So overall, no as far as personal life plans and being organized.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,358 Posts
Ps tend to organize what they value. Have you ever seen an ESTP with their workout and diet regimen?? Hitler himself would be like ''Dude! Chillax already, geez!'' But bills? Yeah they can stay in the corner and collect dust for a while.

Js will feel like they need to be organized about their duties (social and business) even if they hate it.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,044 Posts
I keep my computer desktop really neat. I've known J types with all sorts of shortcuts plastered all over the screen. Drives me crazy!

·
Registered
543 Posts
As a perceiver with Ne as the dominant function, my life is constantly in flux!
Having inferior Si doesn't help.

You could say everything is logically planned, but rarely implemented in a physical sense.
Organised? Nope!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ps tend to organize what they value. Have you ever seen an ESTP with their workout and diet regimen?? Hitler himself would be like ''Dude! Chillax already, geez!'' But bills? Yeah they can stay in the corner and collect dust for a while.

Js will feel like they need to be organized about their duties (social and business) even if they hate it.
I consider this just plain self-love. Bills are never fun, that's definitely true. I don't think I'm over the top with about my workout and diet. If I'm hurting, I'll find something I can do that doesn't hurt. With some exceptions like thanksgiving, pushing my body to get it to do the things I want it to do, comes first. When I'm like 70 years old, I'm officially calling it quits and eating whatever I want and going morbidly obese. That's the plan.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,235 Posts
Being organized seems to have some correlation to J/P but definitely isn't the determining factor. People can be organized in some ways and not in others - like being punctual (organized time) but cluttered (disorganized space). I feel like often Js want or feel obligated to be organized even if they are not, while Ps tend to be like "does it really matter?" - that's a generalization though, of course individuals can differ. I'm sure learning and habit and family background etc. also have a big role alongside personality in this matter.

I think More than organization, Judging is about wanting to have things settled, to come to a conclusion or decision, to Know, while Perceiving is about wanting to wait and see, to hold different sides in balance, to not feel 'locked in' or 'set in stone'.

From casual observation, I feel like S plays some role in people's spacial organizational tendencies, meaning NJs seem more likely to be cluttered Js, while SJs tend to be more stereotypically organized regarding their space. And SPs tend to be more oragnized Ps, while NPs tend to be more stereotypically cluttered. My guess would be that Ns may be less focused on or less aware of their immediate surroundings, they're focused on intangible ideas, while Ss are more actively engaged with the stuff around them and thus more likely to Do something with it or take notice of it looking bad.

Personally, I have become more organized as I have gotten older as priorities (like not tripping) have changed. It's taken conscious effort to develop tidy habits which seem to have come naturally to other people I know. Some people might still think my house is a wreck, buuuut I definitely know a few much less organized houses. Something funny about me is that I can start compulsively organizing things sometimes, it's just that I'm bad at maintaining the system at all times. I tend to clean and sort etc. when I'm putting off some task I really don't like or don't feel capable of, or when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it's like I just switch half myself off and go into robot-organizer mode, lol. I can "waste" many hours sorting and refiling papers, reorganizing and weeding through files on my computer, coming up with a craft storing system, pulling every hint of a dandelion from my yard, etc. when at other times I'd be like "meh, I've got more important things to do than tidying up".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts