Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking alot lately about people who tend to keep their lives and environments neat and organized and if the functions J and P have anything to do with it.

Let me preface the question. I know of some J type's who are very disorganized and very messy. They exhibit their J fixations only on specific scenarios (like controlling their anxieties). But they are absolutely J's.

This leads me to the following the thoughts...

On a scale of averages, the vast percentile of J's are neat and that the disorganized ones are outliers. There are always exceptions.

J and P functions relate to our extra and introverted functions. Thus J doesn't dictate neatness, but relates to T and F.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm selective about my organization. It's strange to have a need for order, but the inability to consistently pay attention to all the little details of life such as cleaning. I'm very organized about my computer files and my books, but there's often a pile of dishes that need washed in my kitchen. Go figure. It's one of the things about myself the frustrates me to no end.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My desk is always messing. I do like things to be organised, but that doesn't mean neat.

I saw another thread somewhere else that suggested NJs are not so neat, but SJs are very neat and obvious Js.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I believe it is a fallacy to say that Js are always neat and orderly and Ps are always messy and disorganized.

Rather, Js are people that like to have their decisions made and their life (more or less) planned out, and Ps tend to want to keep their options open and "go with the flow." That doesn't mean that Js never change their plans, or that Ps are chronically indecisive.

My house is not clean and tidy right now, but that is because I have decided (key word) that there are other more improtant things for me to be putting my energy into right now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My desk is always messing. I do like things to be organised, but that doesn't mean neat.

I saw another thread somewhere else that suggested NJs are not so neat, but SJs are very neat and obvious Js.
Hi,

The "messy" J's I am referring to are actually SJ's.

Go figure!

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I relate every one of the traits associated with the functions of the MBTI to the cognitive function line-up of the specific type. In other words, the J-ness of an INFJ might be completely different than the J-ness of an ISTJ.

This is what I've observed in my mom who's an INFJ:
She's almost anal retentive about some things. And I can relate that to the idea that she might be able to see how things will unfold if certain things are not done or if certain things are done. She tends to not be very calm if things are not taken care of the way she wants them to be. She's also extremely open-minded most of the time. I'm sorry...I really don't understand Ni too well, so I couldn't go too in depth :unsure:

This is my ISTJ dad:
Unlike my mom, he doesn't pay attention to how certain things might unfold. He trusts what he's used to and what he's learned. I've noticed that he has an EXTREMELY hard time breaking smalls habits. His desk is extremely messy and his room is completely unkempt. That might be because his own parents were very messy and he may have grown to trust that. Unlike my mom, he's very calm and he tends to go with the flow. He's, excuse me, very close-minded and not very open to new ideas most of the time.

This is my sister who's an INTJ:
She needs to be the best and she knows what to do to be the best. It seems to be one of the most important things to her. She keeps things the way she sees necessary to reach certain goals of her's. Most of her school stuff is in perfect order. But if you go into her closet, it's a complete mess.

This may not be completely accurate, but the main idea is that J-ness(and T-ness and I-ness and so on) differ depending on the exact type. Atleast, that's what I think...

Also, I think that J's might be more likely to be neat, but I don't think that J-ness is just about orderliness or tidiness. Just like E's are more likely to be social, but extroversion doesn't necessarily have to do with how much socializing you do. ...I'm gonna stop, because I could probably go on and on >.<

...I get too wordy sometimes lol

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
J and P functions relate to our extra and introverted functions. Thus J doesn't dictate neatness, but relates to T and F.
I agree with you and also what I see in the posts in this forum

So you are saying Fe is in command...
with Ni, Ti to support Fe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts