Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the origin of cognitive functions? Like, at what point in evolution was it better for survival or how they came to be? This might be a dumb question, but I have no idea.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Cognitive functions were conceived by Carl Jung back in the 1920s.

As for the survival part I am a little confused. Humans no matter how primitive used rudimentary cognitive functions. We have a brain therefore we think and reason. It is what makes us sentient.

Please don't start debating on whether animals are sentient cause I don't care.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think some very basic forms of them predate human evolution. Many animals have simple predictive and learning abilities which can be said to correspond to intuition. The feeling and thinking functions seem to correspond to cooperating vs competing with individuals of your own species. Animals probably experience some kind of feelings towards their young for example, so that they rear then and don't harm them, or towards their mate, or others of their clan if they live in social groups. At the same time they behave aggressively towards another animal intruding on their territory for example, or an animal challenging their social rank in a pack, which for them is equivalent of logical action. It seems to me that they exhibit some very primitive form of feeling and logic albeit it is just instinctively hardwired. So who knows, may be the inception of some crude form of these functions goes all the way down to the dinosaurs :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts