Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At PerC there's the subtypes: NT - Intellects, NF - Dreamers, ect.
So I was wondering if there were other subtypes for the SFs and STs and others.
So if there were subtypes for those, what would you call them?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd say:

-NT (Rationals)
-NF (Idealists)
-SF
-ST (Doers)

I left SF blank because I really don't know how to label them.
an INTP friend of mine called them "animals" LOL!

He meant it in the most positive way possible though. Not savage. But follow what they feel and what they sense. Not based on any ideals or whatever.

Instinctuals? I'm not sure how I would word it.

we came up with "artists" at first, but then i realised i know many SF types and they're totally not artistic at all.

perhaps "supporters".

No offense meant towards the SF types. I honestly don't know how to label you guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
as an SP who would be an SF in your list, I might call SFs "Fixers". As in, we see a need, we need to help someone or fix something so everyone is happy or fulfilled, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OOOOH! Instinctual!!! I love it! That very much sounds like me! (especially in regards to the way I've parented my child. the word "instinct" just feels very indirectly/directly related to parenting, which has been a major focus of mine. I kind of liken my parenting to what a mother would have done a few thousand years ago, before people started giving advice. :p)
Yes, I agree. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
@Ho316 your idea of SF's doesn't seem to fit SFJ's at all. The Instinctual label seems more like Se to me. But supporters or fixers seems like it could apply to most of us, maybe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Perhaps I understand the SF types least.

ESFJ "caregiver"
ISFJ "nurturer"

are both very support types. believers of tradition, laws and strong sense of duty

ISFP "artist"
ESFP "performer"

both seem to be entertainer types. providing or producing support in their own ways.

i'm not sure. to me the SF types seem very in touch with their instincts which they gather from their sensing/feeling.

they care not for abstract theologies, theories, and constructs, and act first based on feeling and see the results, rather than going through something like the scientific method.

that's my take on it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Well the I/E SFP and I/E SFJ are complete opposites in use of primary functions. Grouping them together will yield very little commonality. As for NJ's or NP's, I suspect the actual order of primary functions also takes large role. For instance, an INTP and INFP both share Ne, but both are playing off completely different (maybe even opposite) logical functions: Fi and Ti, and so instead of being similar, the Fi vs. Ti difference is a bit amplified.

Interesting question, but the official answer to "if there are different subtypes" is no, given your context. Of course there are other non-related subtypes (Enneagram for instance), but not any that correlate directly to MBTI that I am aware of.

·
Banned
14,808 Posts
SFs and STs share nothing in terms of Jungian functions. As a matter of fact, neither do NFs or NTs. These were temperaments invented by David Keirsey, who saw the nature of Se being most essential to SPs and Si most essential to the nature of SJs (basically, he didn't call it that, but yes, "making an impact" and prizing being "bold, audacious, artistic, etc." is pretty much describing Se, as well as SJs and their need to conserve and create structure with Si/Je or Je/Si.)

Apparently he viewed NFs as commonly sharing diplomacy and humanitarian works, although they technically share no functions. Same with NTs and "intellectual" or "academic" thinking.

@Ho316 have you ever heard of Jean-Jacques Rousseau? The philosopher? ISFP. To say that SFs have no ideals is entirely absurd, though Se/Fi and Fi/Se types are more likely to value intense personal impact, so the "animal" nature you are seeing is probably SFPs...but to say we lack ideals is absolutely bizarre. There are also a lot of ESFJ political pundits.

I agree that SFs are primarily "fixers" though, it does make sense. We see a concrete need, and fill it, like giving people advice or cooking them dinner or whatever. SFs do also seem inclined in some capacities to be artists because of their feeling and sensory nature, but not always.

·
Banned
14,808 Posts
OOOOH! Instinctual!!! I love it! That very much sounds like me! (especially in regards to the way I've parented my child. the word "instinct" just feels very indirectly/directly related to parenting, which has been a major focus of mine. I kind of liken my parenting to what a mother would have done a few thousand years ago, before people started giving advice. :p)
Yes, I agree. :)
I agree with this, though not specifically as a parent. Even Rousseau essentially argued for a more natural state of man.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How about TJ TP FJ and FP ?

TJ = ISTJ,INTJ,ENTJ,ESTJ. Primary or secondary Te.
TP = ISTP,INTP,ENTP,ESTP. Primary or secondary Ti.
FJ = ISFJ,INFJ,ENFJ,ESFJ. Primary or secondary Fe.
FP = ISFP,INFP,ENFP,ESFP. Primary or secondary Fi.

We just need to give some interesting names to the categories and we are done.

TJ = I AM THE LAW.
TP = Theory.
FJ = Socialites.
FP = Artists.

Meh, does not work as well as NT, NF, SJ and SF.

·
Banned
14,808 Posts
How about TJ TP FJ and FP ?

TJ = ISTJ,INTJ,ENTJ,ESTJ. Primary or secondary Te.
TP = ISTP,INTP,ENTP,ESTP. Primary or secondary Ti.
FJ = ISFJ,INFJ,ENFJ,ESFJ. Primary or secondary Fe.
FP = ISFP,INFP,ENFP,ESFP. Primary or secondary Fi.

We just need to give some interesting names to the categories and we are done.

TJ = I AM THE LAW.
TP = Theory.
FJ = Socialites.
FP = Artists.

Meh, does not work as well as NT, NF, SJ and SF.
Haha ...I like this though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@Ho316 have you ever heard of Jean-Jacques Rousseau? The philosopher? ISFP. To say that SFs have no ideals is entirely absurd, though Se/Fi and Fi/Se types are more likely to value intense personal impact, so the "animal" nature you are seeing is probably SFPs...but to say we lack ideals is absolutely bizarre. There are also a lot of ESFJ political pundits.
actually it is argued that he is an INFP, but we can never know the true answer.

by ideals i don't mean... what you mean.

i mean it in an intuitive way. placing priorities and importance on ideals that are not so useful in real life. and working off those instead of real world surroundings.

NF's see, and know what have to be done, but kinda shrug it off, they'd rather be lost in their thoughts.

SF's see, and know what have to be done, and it's immediately placed in priority, because ideals and abstract philosophies are either ignored (valued less), OR, they don't even get to that point. it's just completely overlooked.

a very crude example is.. perhaps hunger
it's meal time:

many SF's i know would probably immediately start cooking and preparing their meals.

NF's could be too caught up in some thought (not could be, most probably will be), and put the meal off until the hunger is too much to bare.

i mean we're all human beings, humans aren't stupid.

maybe i have no idea what im talking about. I'm still trying to understand SF's.
much like SF's are trying to understand me.

·
Banned
14,808 Posts
actually it is argued that he is an INFP, but we can never know the true answer.
I've seen many arguments for him being ISFP by people who are VERY knowledgeable about type...in fact I've seen it both from the Keirsey perspective and the function theory perspective. I mean you can think he's INFP if you want.

i mean it in an intuitive way. placing priorities and importance on ideals that are not so useful in real life. and working off those instead of real world surroundings.

NF's see, and know what have to be done, but kinda shrug it off, they'd rather be lost in their thoughts.

SF's see, and know what have to be done, and it's immediately placed in priority, because ideals and abstract philosophies are either ignored (valued less), OR, they don't even get to that point. it's just completely overlooked.
I entirely agree with this and sometimes get annoyed by things that cannot be applied to fixing real world problems. I can get very huffy about political ideologies that seem unrealistic, for example.

it's meal time:

many SF's i know would probably immediately start cooking and preparing their meals.

NF's could be too caught up in some thought (not could be, most probably will be), and put the meal off until the hunger is too much to bare.

maybe i have no idea what im talking about. I'm still trying to understand SF's.
Truth. I don't go without eating until I'm half dead, unless it's intentional for some reason. It's never out of neglect. In fact, I watch over others in this regard in my daily life.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Well the I/E SFP and I/E SFJ are complete opposites in use of primary functions. Grouping them together will yield very little commonality. As for NJ's or NP's, I suspect the actual order of primary functions also takes large role. For instance, an INTP and INFP both share Ne, but both are playing off completely different (maybe even opposite) logical functions: Fi and Ti, and so instead of being similar, the Fi vs. Ti difference is a bit amplified.
Yet you share the auxiliary Ne, which is very defining of both your types. INFJ and INFP are now grouped together, though the two types share no functions at all.

To me, NJ and NP makes at least as much sense as NF and NT.

·
Registered
427 Posts

it's meal time:

She seems to have misunderstood "ideas" with "ideals".

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yet you share the auxiliary Ne, which is very defining of both your types. INFJ and INFP are now grouped together, though the two types share no functions at all.

To me, NJ and NP makes at least as much sense as NF and NT.
A great point to which I have little to say :) You're right, I suppose looking at it from a NP/NJ perspective would be similar in regards to cognitive functions. At this point I would suggest that there still is reason behind the initial differences, probably derived from general stereotypes regarding each subtype; maybe there are more viable or stronger stereotypes of NTs and NFs than there are between NJs and NPs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts