Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to describe this well, so bear with me, but sometimes when I hear people yelling/angry/ranting/getting worked up, especially one of my parents, I feel a not-physical-but-very-literal discomfort. The closest comparison I can make is your reaction when a fire/security alarm sounds, or a really loud, whistling firework goes off. You cringe and cover your ears, not because you are in physical danger but because it "hurts your ears" even though your ears aren't *physically* hurting. It's like that.

It doesn't have to be anger; sometimes it's just that the person is getting worked up, like complaining about something that really bothers them ("ranting").

It doesn't have to be directed toward me.

It just has to be a certain tone of voice and volume level, and I'll feel like I'm being beaten over the head. No physical pain, but the same sense of stress/anxiety that I think I would feel *if* someone was beating me over the head. It's the head, specifically.

It could also sometimes be described as a sense of claustrophobia, like the person's words are surrounding and closing in on me.

It doesn't happen every time anyone yells; just sometimes with some people, or if someone in my house is watching a reality show with people screaming at each other.

Does any of this make sense? Am I an HSP? Does everyone feel strong distress when others yell/scream/rant? (I assume not, or else no one would watch reality shows.)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think that is normal. But it ofcourse should not be so that it totally dominates your life, and totally invalidates you.
We cant tolerate loud sounds very well, ofcourse, it is not good for the ears. And it is often assosiated with a sense of danger.
Also it is not nice when somebody is yelling, streaming, ranting.. But it ofcourse depends on what, etc.
People also yell at sports.

And it is very normal not liking to see your parents argue, rant, ....

Does the loud sounds not make you want to scream sometimes?, id have it that way at times.

Is it espesially when somebody is judgemental?, if so, then that is also normal.

I know someone who is said to be HSP by doctors, etc. I think she had parents who argued, yelled, screamed alot too. She could not wait to get out of the house.
But she also said she were very sensitive to light and so forth, .. I think she said she even wanted to hold someones hand when she is shopping because of it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I agree totally. I hate hate hate yelling, and screaming, and shouting and it just ugh, drives me crazy, I just hate it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I don't know how to describe this well, so bear with me, but sometimes when I hear people yelling/angry/ranting/getting worked up, especially one of my parents, I feel a not-physical-but-very-literal discomfort. The closest comparison I can make is your reaction when a fire/security alarm sounds, or a really loud, whistling firework goes off. You cringe and cover your ears, not because you are in physical danger but because it "hurts your ears" even though your ears aren't *physically* hurting. It's like that.

It doesn't have to be anger; sometimes it's just that the person is getting worked up, like complaining about something that really bothers them ("ranting").

It just has to be a certain tone of voice and volume level, and I'll feel like I'm being beaten over the head. No physical pain, but the same sense of stress/anxiety that I think I would feel *if* someone was beating me over the head. It's the head, specifically.

It could also sometimes be described as a sense of claustrophobia, like the person's words are surrounding and closing in on me.

It doesn't happen every time anyone yells; just sometimes with some people, or if someone in my house is watching a reality show with people screaming at each other.

Does any of this make sense? Am I an HSP? Does everyone feel strong distress when others yell/scream/rant? (I assume not, or else no one would watch reality shows.)
I have the same thing. I'll feel my chest hurt when people are yelling/fighting around me. I just want to get away from those situations. I think it comes from the fear that I might be targeted by those people.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts

i don't know about HSP, but generally some types of mental illnesses like PTSD, Generalized anxiety, or even autism have sensory sensitivities like this. It could even be something more serious if it randomly came up or you noticed it recently, you need to go see a GP.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My boyfriend is like this but that's because he was raised with a raging alcoholic father who physically abused his mother. So whenever he is in a situation where two people are arguing, he immediately leaves the room. He's also uncomfortable with confrontation.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
It just has to be a certain tone of voice and volume level, and I'll feel like I'm being beaten over the head.

I have a strong aversion(sensitivity) to raised angry sounding voices. If someone sounds angry or frustrated, whether directed at me or just the situation, I tend to take it personally. My husband will often say no, I'm not mad at you I'm just frustrated with this situation. I've tried to explain to him that when he raises his voice and sounds angry, particularly when there is no one else around, it feels like it is being directed at me. When he explains what the trigger is I can see that it is not directed at me but that is usually not my first impression. Since he knows I'm sensitive, he usually tries to let me know right off the bat I'm not mad at you, I'm just frustrated.

I also hate being around very heated discussions. I do fine with discussions and mild disagreements, as long as I can tell the other person is not becoming angry or mad at me. When the tone changes, I am better off leaving the discussion. I can discuss points of disagreement all day long with someone as long as neither party becomes angry, but as soon as the tone changes I'm ready to discontinue it. I can't deny being a bit too sensitive to people being angry or nasty towards me.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've been a carpenter for 15 years, I've worked with hundreds of caveman, when 2 guys get into it I literally run in the opposite direction. To see and hear and feel that anger and rage it just overwhelms me, actually you give a great description, but it may be because of Fi-Ne, it is for me. Also tone of voice is huge, words have meanings, words with emotions behind them take on a whole new meaning.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yelling and screaming and arguing and raised voices make me tense. I'm not any good at blocking it out. I'm always preparing for things to go south when hear disagreements.

I assumed everyone was uncomfortable listening to it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My boyfriend is like this but that's because he was raised with a raging alcoholic father who physically abused his mother. So whenever he is in a situation where two people are arguing, he immediately leaves the room. He's also uncomfortable with confrontation.
This brings back a painful and similar memory that I haven't remembered in a long while and... wow, I do the same thing too.

It really puts me on edge even though I don't show it, except for the part I really, really start to feel like I need to step outside and ignore all the yelling. My body starts to feel like boiling needles bouncing around tearing my insides apart; that's when it especially feels "claustrophobic" in the atmosphere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@tanstaafl28 I looked up PTSD before I posted that, but didn't think that was exactly it. I can't recall any particular childhood event except for there being a lot of annoyance/ranting in the house... and it seems illogically circular to say that exposure to a lot of ranting would make me sensitive to ranting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@AverOblivious It didn't just come up recently; I felt it in childhood but wasn't able to articulate it and (because I was a child) didn't realize that it wasn't 100% normal--that not everyone minds annoyed tones of voices as much as I do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To see and hear and feel that anger and rage it just overwhelms me, actually you give a great description, but it may be because of Fi-Ne, it is for me. Also, tone of voice is huge.
@54-46 ThatsMyNumber Thank you, and it appears that we have the same MBTI type :) so I'm glad you can relate.

I agree that tone of voice is "huge". I always pick up on a person's tone, and sometimes I'll even claim that they "sounded annoyed" or "sounded fake" or whatever, and they will deny it. Then, I can't tell if I'm reading too much into their tone or if they're lying or if they're legitimately unaware of how they really feel.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
@AverOblivious It didn't just come up recently; I felt it in childhood but wasn't able to articulate it and (because I was a child) didn't realize that it wasn't 100% normal--that not everyone minds annoyed tones of voices as much as I do.

If this is all it is, then it is a trait of being HSP. But if you feel that it is causing a problem in your life, then it is probably something like Sensory Processing disorder. It doesn't seem problematic, so I'm guessing you are just very sensitive to tones and the emotions they convey..

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's universal for me. Even if someone is simply talking with a loud (even happy) voice I get that almost physical fight or flight sensation. I guess it's just something I learned from a young age through Pavlovian conditioning from my father (loud voice = impending violence). When people are being loud I have to listen to music to block it out and calm me down most days. Thankfully, I haven't had to explain this to anyone in public so far because most people (except the dumbest) leave me alone.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
Overwhelming, invasive to my senses, very intense and uncontrollable adrenaline rush but one that paralyzes and roots me to the spot. My face gets red, heart running a marathon, physically shaking, etc. and there's a good chance I'll have nightmares about it later.

Even, yeah, if it's in a happy or just overexcited voice, my ears are still going to ring from that. I remember in one of my classes, we had a very ... expressive professor who would get overexcited and being a jokester, he would tell these hilarious stories with great gusto. And I was sitting in like a third row, but when he started shouting, I actually started quivering and tearing up and getting that overwhelming fright/discomfort (while genuinely finding the story amusing), because that really does blow out my senses.

I'm very much an HSP, and it's actually gotten better since childhood (used to not be able to wear certain fabrics, couldn't tolerate eating more than one type of food at a time, some other weird things), but it's still a condition. Still very stress-prone. And yeah, I also grew up in a household with lots of yelling, so I can't handle even hearing fights on the street. Absolutely hate people slamming doors.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's the noise for me. Even shrill laughs make my head physically hurt, so I avoid crowds of women in public. They're a notch below a group of screaming babies to my ears when one or more has one of those yipping laughs.

Also, people slam things a lot in public.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with @Ninjaws, I feel it in my chest. I am an HSP, and anyone getting yelled at/chewed out/whatever turns into almost physical pain, especially if I'm already stressed. Emotional stress in general builds up a tight feeling in my chest and my back. When things get really stressful, the pain feels nearly tangible, as if I could reach in to right underneath my sternum and pull it out... I don't know how many others feel it so intensely, but it sounds like a common enough concept among us to feel physical side effects from emotional stress.

Reactions: Ninjaws
1 - 20 of 25 Posts