Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
A few weeks ago I got introduced to some articles that claimed that sitting is as bad as smoking and that regular exercise isn't enough to offset the negative effects of prolonged sitting. As someone studying to be a software developer this hits home pretty close, I also have issues of hypertension and diabetes in my family.

I've started up a lifelong habit of going to the gym every other day in an effort to fight of these inclinations of mine but I wanted to find out what you guys think of this whole claim. Is it typical fear mongering and a continuation of the trend where every study says everything is giving us cancer and killing us or is this something worth building some habits for. I don't mind the idea of researching some office exercises I don't like sitting down for too long anyways but I have to at times. I've also been looking at the idea of getting a standing desk for a while or building some makeshift setup but I never really gave it too much priority. Links to some articles on the topic below:

Sitting is the New Smoking- Even for Runners | Runner's World
60 Minutes investigates: is sitting down killing us? Sitting is the new smoking

:perc3:

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Well, humans aren't really built for sedentary lifestyles. We should be out gathering and hunting, but those days are long gone. Living in artificial environments not suited to our health will definitely have an impact.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
13,987 Posts
Hi all,
A few weeks ago I got introduced to some articles that claimed that sitting is as bad as smoking and that regular exercise isn't enough to offset the negative effects of prolonged sitting. As someone studying to be a software developer this hits home pretty close, I also have issues of hypertension and diabetes in my family.

I've started up a lifelong habit of going to the gym every other day in an effort to fight of these inclinations of mine but I wanted to find out what you guys think of this whole claim. Is it typical fear mongering and a continuation of the trend where every study says everything is giving us cancer and killing us or is this something worth building some habits for. I don't mind the idea of researching some office exercises I don't like sitting down for too long anyways but I have to at times. I've also been looking at the idea of getting a standing desk for a while or building some makeshift setup but I never really gave it too much priority. Links to some articles on the topic below:

Sitting is the New Smoking- Even for Runners | Runner's World
60 Minutes investigates: is sitting down killing us? Sitting is the new smoking

:perc3:
get one that you can lay down :d problem solved

Well, humans aren't really built for sedentary lifestyles. We should be out gathering and hunting, but those days are long gone. Living in artificial environments not suited to our health will definitely have an impact.
Oh great evolution, save us from our toils!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get one that you can lay down :d problem solved
I thought about that I can do that at my apartment but I couldn't use it at the library (which is true for standing desks as well) and at other places, and I get most of my work done outside of my apartment. My productivity also usually takes a huge hit when I'm laying down alot of times I just fall asleep or get distracted.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Well, think about it! Just as cigarettes are full of tar and pesticides, so chairs are full of bad things. Which is why you shouldn't set fire to them and puff away on them. The last time I tried to smoke a chair, I ended up with a lung full of nails and woodworm. That's why I prefer to smoke kippers. (Something fishy here, folks...)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sitting is indeed detrimental to our health...especially the slouchy kind of sitting that most people do today.

The problem is that our culture, unfortunately, has been denying the body at the expense of the mind for so long...but there cannot be a healthy mind without a healthy body :)

Just look at how free kids are in their bodies, always moving and playing with their physicality...that's the way it should be :)

I'm a lot like a kid in this respect...I love moving around, dancing, playing around with my body all the time. Naturally, society and its rigid bodily norms often view me as a weirdo...but I'd much rather be a happy weirdo than stiff and miserable :)

Luckily I have my own office at work so I can dance around and exercise all I want :) If I have to perform a longer task, I either prop up the computer on a high table with some boxes so I can stand, or bounce around on a pilates ball :) The latter are, I believe, quite a good option if you have to sit a lot :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
^^^ saw that and had a good laugh.

I work at a standing desk. In my new job I brought an old milk crate and a piece of plywood and used that until the CFO came to my desk and told me she hated it and would buy me a real standing desk. I got to demo one and everybody in the company came by and expressed interest in it. But they said they could never stand all day. I told them they just needed a few days to adjust. Now everybody wants to try it. I may have started a movement!

Sitting is terrible for your body. When I sit I have a very bad habit of slouching, which is probably a major contributing factor to the chronic nerve pain I have in my head and face. When I stand my posture is quite good. When I ran ultramarathons I learned that time on your feet is the most important success factor... more than miles trained. And I experience much better health and energy when I am on my feet all day. In my office I stand for at least 95% of the day. My cube is directly across from the CEO's office and since I stand and he sits I am looking down on him all the time, which is great for my self esteem. ;-)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It is kind of funny how they use language like "is sitting killing us?" As if sitting is a disease that works its way into our bloodstream and slowly tears us apart from the inside out, turning us into husks.

I'm sure that like some have said, the bad posture mixed with prolonged lack of physical exertion is bad for us. But I wouldn't exactly say it's killing us, imo. I'd say it's contributing to poor posture and general atrophy, which then leads to major health problems down the road.

Of course, that's not as exciting as comparing chairs to smoking or saying that sitting is trying to kill us.

·
Registered
28,818 Posts
Yeah, when you sit, lean backwards at an obtuse angle because that is more natural.
Related question:
I have rounded shoulders and my parents keep saying that if I do not stand up straight at all times, the only treatment will be metal rods and a backbrace. Are they just fear mongering? That sounds extreme.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Almost evrything is trying to kill us it seems.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I told them they just needed a few days to adjust. Now everybody wants to try it. I may have started a movement!
Hoping you could please entertain a few of my questions:
What was the adjustment process like, do you get sore or feel extra fatigue during the first few weeks or days of it?
Do you stand up for full hours or do stand up for 50 mins or so and take a 5 minute break?
With the standing desk is there a setup that lets you position your work at eye level or something like that so you aren't putting strain on your neck by being in a position where you are looking down at your work for hours?
Do you also use a standing desk at home? What is the difference you feel when you are put in situations where you have to read and work for extended periods while sitting e.g. in a coffee shop, during a meeting.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Hoping you could please entertain a few of my questions:
What was the adjustment process like, do you get sore or feel extra fatigue during the first few weeks or days of it?
Do you stand up for full hours or do stand up for 50 mins or so and take a 5 minute break?
With the standing desk is there a setup that lets you position your work at eye level or something like that so you aren't putting strain on your neck by being in a position where you are looking down at your work for hours?
Do you also use a standing desk at home? What is the difference you feel when you are put in situations where you have to read and work for extended periods while sitting e.g. in a coffee shop, during a meeting.
I've been standing at home for years, not 100% but whenever I am doing something in my cave behind the garage. I don't remember any period of adjustment. Standing has always felt better. The fact that I run ultramarathons and spend a lot of time on my feet might help.

The milk crate and plywood I use at home does not place the monitor at eye level and I find myself bending my knees sometimes to change the angle of my neck. The one I am demoing at work does place the external monitor pretty much at eye level. But it does not allow easy adjustment of the distance between keyboard and monitor without disassembling the whole thing. It's pretty good.

I usually stand for all but 10 minutes a day. But I got a slight knee injury and then a lot of swelling from my flight back from Hokkaido last week and it is painful for me to stand much at all right now, so I am sitting for much of the day. Can't wait to get back to full time standing.

My standing, skiing, and running posture is excellent. My sitting posture is terrible and has definitely affected my health in a pretty big way. I wouldn't have taken my new job if I had not been able to stand to work. It just wouldn't be sustainable for me to work sitting in a chair all the time.

My mom used to advocate standing to work. She had a very bad back due to osteoporosis and she maintained that if you had a small box or step that you could put one foot up on, that would be better for your back. I don't do that, but a couple of times a day I will remove a shoe and put one foot fully up on the desk to stretch my lower back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts