Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random thought: In the 90's we had films and shows for Baby Boomers like Forrest Gump and Quantum Leap. In 20 years when we're all due for a Gen X/Y nostalgia fest, what will it be like? Some things seem obvious like Michael Jackson instead of Elvis Presley, Iraq instead of Vietnam, and the lasting impact of 911. Besides that, I would think something unique would have to be said about the rise of the Web and social media.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Yes Michael Jackson is the first celebrity I showed first real shock over. I would call this a Gen Y trait. That we were appalled Micheal Jackson is dead. Madonna and Miss Piggy are our feminist leaders. Cindi Lauper is our Hillary Clinton as of yet. A political voice for those more liberal leaning.

9/11 and the Bushes are our Vietnam. Occupy Wall Street is our movement, we're libertarian instead of liberals, we identify with the Silent Generation in our funky style (our grandparents were so practical! ) and we feel an eerie social responsibility only shared by people in their 20s-30s in the late 60s and mid 40s. For that reason we actually maybe see cool Gen X as ineffective and even later Boomers as shallow. We deal with real issues. Daily.

We are richies, though, 80s babies who want old Hollywood. Hollywood is terrifying and weird. I was there last week. Apparently we want grass fed beef and glamor.

Does Gen Y have a movie, like Forrest Gump? We have American Beauty and Donnie Darko. For things more mainstream and cute we have Wolf of Wall Street and anything starring Jennifer Lawrence. She's our Goldie Hawn or Barbara Streisand. The lovable every woman. I actually love her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts