Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this in my sub feed, thought I'd pass it on to my fellow INFP's...

The basic premise is that due to conditioning from our social environment, we suppress unwanted emotions and actions by tensing our muscles and restricting our breathing. Anyone who has engaged in mindfulness meditation for regularly probably knows that once we let ourselves breathe fully, and let our muscles relax, suppressed emotions surface... Joy, rage, sadness, sexual responses, etc.

And so one of the keys to authenticity is releasing chronic muscular tension, through free-association expression (like in the video), exercises designed to release specific emotions/inclinations, or mindfulness mediation centered around releasing tension.

If anyone is interested in exploring the hypotheses (and exercises) behind the above video I highly recommend;

Joy By Alexander Lowen, and In an unspoken voice By Peter Levine.

Please share any thoughts you have on the relationship between physiology and psychology.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
As a practitioner of my own meditation techniques as well as a little bit of tai chi both as forms of stress relief through breathing as well as thought management I think there is a very clear connection between the physiological and psychological. I also try and maintain an active exercise program, nothing too strenuous just walking and stretching and I've found that by carrying this out it lessens the effects that depression and stress has on me.

I've also recently come across some videos that relate to this matter as well.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I prefer the term "spirituality". It gives you a vibrancy.
Let me take you on a journey to the East...

- Tai chi - a Daily exercise to centre oneself, a form of meditation as well as muscle work, in a controlled manner.
- Acupuncture - Not had this done myself but it is also quite amazing really.
(Just watched the whole documentary, it is really seriously exciting stuff !)
- "Laughing Therapy/Yoga" ? - Yes, this is real... :) Maybe it works because it basically is performing fake laughs. Forces your body to mimic that of real joy and laughter.
Laughter Yoga Hong Kong Meetup Group

This is now more acceptable in modern day Britain.

- 5 Rhythm - THIS I can personally vouch and say that it is absolutely energising. Really exilarating. :)
- Yoga - work to release tense muscles and therefore any built up lactic acid and so forth etc.
- Pilates - opposite of yoga in terms of breathing and stretches, allows your body to realign itself.

I do believe in what the overall aim Mr Eliot is trying to do, but maybe his words verbally is invalidating what he is trying to achieve. But to me, addressing the after effect of your body rather than stopping the true cause is still not a great way to lead a good life. But then again, in an inner city setup, I guess that is what is best as a solution to greater happier city life.

I just thought that, what he is trying to do is actually making people "act" and perform "acting" which allows them to actually forces their own body to react and mimic the emotional side of trauma.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do believe in what the overall aim Mr Eliot is trying to do, but maybe his words verbally is invalidating what he is trying to achieve. But to me, addressing the after effect of your body rather than stopping the true cause is still not a great way to lead a good life.
I don't understand this, could you elaborate please?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer the term "spirituality". It gives you a vibrancy.
Let me take you on a journey to the East...
I'm aware of the things you mentioned BTW. I've done acupuncture, tai chi, and chi kung.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I don't understand this, could you elaborate please?
His video does make him look a little bit loopy. His choice of words are also a little bit nonsensical. It is not likely to get people to follow him especially when he himself just said that he looks like a crazy man doing it.

I quote:

"So you're going to need to, but also, let that turn into wherever it will take you. You'll find that even you're going to enunciate words , just like a moment, I will show you, I dont mind showing you guys how XXcking crazy I am. Enunciate words that do not have any actual tangible meaning, they come from a visceral place, and they mean far more than the, than the, definition of the Xhit that you're saying. There is an emotion associated with the movement. "

"but you're also holding back the joy the receiving of life" (Dramatic much? LOL)

Why doesn't he just summarise and say:

"I want to show you an acting method on how to cry. This will allows you to release hidden emotion from your heart, which will relieve muscular tension. You will feel energised after this exercise."

To me, I have always understood what "energy" means. Or what a lot of people call "chi" in the West. In the Chinese written word, it is equivalent meaning as energy, or "Air". When Air inside of you is balanced, you feel more joyful, light-hearted and happier overall. Both body, mind, and spirit. :) That is why as I said, he seems to be tackling the effect of things which brought him to this point and not addressed what caused them to begin with. i.e. working over long hours and stressed over long period of times, and eating badly, sleeping badly.... Solution would be to reduce number of hours. Eat healthier. Have less distractions. Lead much simpler life.
Think less!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His video does make him look a little bit loopy. His choice of words are also a little bit nonsensical. It is not likely to get people to follow him especially when he himself just said that he looks like a crazy man doing it.
He's very popular on youtube amongst the 'self development' and fitness crowd, and he's released videos as 'crazy' as that repeatedly. :happy:

Part of why he says he does it is for 'social proof', a lot of people are scared of looking 'foolish' 'silly' or being authentic, so he partly does it so people feel less shame about wanting to express themselves freely.

I admit, written in text it comes across as gibberish. But I understand what he's trying to convey intuitively based on metaphor, and knowing the context.

He speaks pure N and F, There is no hint of S or T lol.

"but you're also holding back the joy the receiving of life" (Dramatic much? LOL)
Yeah I suppose that made sense to me because of read Lowen. (Without being pompous, that's honestly probably why it didn't make me cringe.)

Why doesn't he just summarise and say:
He speaks with a lot of metaphor, and emotion. I can see how his style wouldn't appeal to some. His words made sense to me, however.

To me, I have always understood what "energy" means. Or what a lot of people call "chi" in the West. In the Chinese written word, it is equivalent meaning as energy, or "Air". When Air inside of you is balanced, you feel more joyful, light-hearted and happier overall. Both body, mind, and spirit. :)
Just to clarify he doesn't mean just mean chi. I've research and practiced internal martial arts and chi kung, and I've research Lowen and bioenergetics (where Elliot gets his ideas) and there is overlap but it's definitely not the same.

That is why as I said, he seems to be tackling the effect of things which brought him to this point and not addressed what caused them to begin with. i.e. working over long hours and stressed over long period of times, and eating badly, sleeping badly.... Solution would be to reduce number of hours. Eat healthier. Have less distractions. Lead much simpler life.
I think there are different ways to enact change. And human beings have the uncanny phenomenon of knowing how to change their lives for the better, but not having the internal motivation to do so.

One of the ways of cultivating that internal motivation (according to bioenegetics) is to release trapped inclinations. One of the insights that resonated with me was that suppressed aggression, also suppresses the drive to exert effort to reach goals.

Think less!
That's what Elliot was advocating. :tongue:

I come across as an nuthugger, and I am - to a degree - but I'm a big fan of the hypotheses behind somatic psychotherapy.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
He speaks with a lot of metaphor, and emotion. I can see how his style wouldn't appeal to some. His words made sense to me, however.
His style is a little bit OTT for me. Plus it is a bit more masculine in nature with a tone of "get me, get me... waaatsaaaap, you got me?".... Not_my_style. But I understand what he is trying to achieve and what he is getting at. All roads do lead to Rome. I do believe this.

Just to clarify he doesn't mean just mean chi. I've research and practiced internal martial arts and chi kung, and I've research Lowen and bioenergetics (where Elliot gets his ideas) and there is overlap but it's definitely not the same.
I know that in his video, he does not mean Chi, and he has not mentioned Chi. But your thread has indeed mentioned psychology and physiology. To me, it is the mind, and the body, with the spirit. All related around these subject areas. The definition of Chi, is kind of debateable, depending if you have been reading books in English on Chi, or if you have been brought up in the East with "Air" as part and parcel of your lifestyle. It aims for the same goal ultimately. Body and mind connection.

I think there are different ways to enact change. And human beings have the uncanny phenomenon of knowing how to change their lives for the better, but not having the internal motivation to do so.
To me motivation is never coming from myself. It comes from external.

One of the ways of cultivating that internal motivation (according to bioenegetics) is to release trapped inclinations. One of the insights that resonated with me was that suppressed aggression, also suppresses the drive to exert effort to reach goals.
Maybe we differ here. To me, I look for external from my outside environment in order to derive internal motivation. I was also brought up with the idea of "outer god" in the form of nature. So based on that, (Taoism, Confucianism), there is a reason to why I do things, and one has to remember that. It never is for internal self. It is always for others. As you can see, if humans help one another, then this creates a greater motivation to do good. If humans are selfish, we do not find any motivation to do anything...

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
I've always noticed the connection one has with their body and their emotions, which is why I've also always been intrigued by sociopaths (and I am one). Sociopaths suppress emotional connection to their body. It's like their mind is at a higher plane than their body. Sociopaths can ACT perfectly. It's like they are above their body then they can come back in their body any way they want to. People used to assume sociopaths lacked empathy but they don't. They can just control it by jumping into it from out of their body. There's a reason sociopaths feel powerful. By the way, not all sociopaths are evil. There are some that live among you as your close friends/family. They can choose to live in their empathy, they can be any person they want to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.