Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Earth's moon has been extremely bright in the night sky the last few days, and I've been staring at it, ruminating on it's influence on us.

So now, I've created a thread here, hoping that some of you might share some of the thoughts and impressions that come to mind when you stare up at the moon. INFJ thinking fascinates me, but other types' views are appreciated as well.

I'll go first.

Last night, I considered how wonderful it must have been to be born and schooled shortly before the moon was first reached. And then, after spending a few decades staring up at that far off place, to be one of Earth's populace on the day where humans first stepped foot on it's surface. How exhilarating it must have been, to see science bring about such a seemingly impossible event. The sudden possibilities of human exploration and technology would have consumed my mind.

Instead, I was born and schooled with that knowledge as a given, which takes so much away from the event, at least for me. In my youth, the first real news coverage of space exploration was the tragic loss of the Challenger and it's crew of seven brave souls on January 28th, 1986.

For me, space exploration continued under the shadow of that event, and words fail me in describing that impact on my faith in human use of science.

In summary, last night reminded me that one day, not very long ago, humans looked up into the sky and saw the moon as reachable, for the very first time in their lives.

I envy them that experience.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
- I want to colonize the moon and create a utopia :p [Purely fantasy of course].
- I developed my fascination with space travel after being exposed to Star Trek in all honesty.
- I sometimes look at the moon and wonder if anyone else is looking up at the moon at that moment and thinking about me as I'm thinking about them [weird childhood association probably induced by mainstream fairy tales]
- I may be one of the few out there that visualises the moon as feminine even though a lot of people associate it with the masculine.

- From a cultural and religious context, the moon symbol is huge in Islam ... and it's always bothered me [personally] in that regard. This is more of a personal criticism of the idolization of symbols within the context of a religion that mostly rejects idolation of symbols, structures and even people. And yet, traditionally the Moon symbol can be seen on top of mosques, on flags --- everywhere. My research revealed that this Moon standard came into prominence during the Ottoman Empire - and may not have been an Islamic symbol in the earlier days of the development of the religion. But as with most sources related to religion, that one's up for debate as well.

So ... in other words ... it holds many different meanings for me. In the end, of course, it's just an object in the sky. But it's nice to talk about it :)

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I have so many different thoughts when looking at the moon. I imagine forms of life living and wondering around lost like we are here on Earth. When i see it shining so bright it gives me a homesick feeling that i can't explain. I see peace, wonderment and think about what it would be like to watch humans through a telescope roaming around Earth. The sky with the moon, clouds, sun and stars is a mystery of both dark and light. When i think about man walking on the moon it leaves me in AWe, so amazing. I wish it had me me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- I may be one of the few out there that visualises the moon as feminine even though a lot of people associate it with the masculine.
Interesting you should mention that. I was going to call the moon by it's Latin name, Luna (this is where we get terms like 'lunar orbiter'), but I wasn't sure people would know I was talking about Earth's moon as opposed to the Greek goddess represented by the moon.

I would definitely classify the moon as female as well. :)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I remember watching the moon landings on TV and imagining how humans would travel to other planets and into space, little realising that the whole thing was really about political rivalry between two ideological systems (happy our won by the way!) and the space exploration programme would stop shortly thereafter!

Still it was strange to look up at the moon afterwards, knowing that after millenia of mystery, humans had stood on the surface albeit just a few individuals and we knew what was there and what it looked like first hand.

Sad to say, the moon to me psychologically speaking is a large lump of rock that orbits earth and affects our tidal and gravitational systems...the romance of it is diminished.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
- I want to colonize the moon and create a utopia :p [Purely fantasy of course].
- I developed my fascination with space travel after being exposed to Star Trek in all honesty.
- I sometimes look at the moon and wonder if anyone else is looking up at the moon at that moment and thinking about me as I'm thinking about them [weird childhood association probably induced by mainstream fairy tales]

- From a cultural and religious context, the moon symbol is huge in Islam ... and it's always bothered me [personally] in that regard. This is more of a personal criticism of the idolization of symbols within the context of a religion that mostly rejects idolation of symbols, structures and even people. And yet, traditionally the Moon symbol can be seen on top of mosques, on flags --- everywhere. My research revealed that this Moon standard came into prominence during the Ottoman Empire - and may not have been an Islamic symbol in the earlier days of the development of the religion. But as with most sources related to religion, that one's up for debate as well.

So ... in other words ... it holds many different meanings for me. In the end, of course, it's just an object in the sky. But it's nice to talk about it :)
Although traditions vary I think majority view has been that the moon is female (and the sun male)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Although traditions vary I think majority view has been that the moon is female (and the sun male)
Interesting. I know that in the Pakistani culture, the moon is referred to as the masculine gender. I also did a quick google search to try to figure out what the majority believes it to be in the Western world. I could be wrong of course.

In addition, Urdu is a very gender oriented language where every object is classified as either masculine or feminine. Moon and Sun both are described as masculine. In fact, it's a common expression to call the Moon: "Chanda Mamoon" due to a very popular children's nursery rhyme ... which is sort of weird because "Mamoon" is a word specifically used for mother's brother. I got confused by it the first time I heard it ... but I didn't have the guts to ask my mom why she was referring to the Moon as her brother xD

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
This:

Sad to say, the moon to me psychologically speaking is a large lump of rock that orbits earth and affects our tidal and gravitational systems...the romance of it is diminished.
Though I did find much more inspiration and symbolic meaning in the moon when I was younger.

In Arabic, another gender-oriented language, the sun is feminine and the moon masculine. Personally, I tend to view the moon as feminine (yin) and the sun masculine (yang), when I ponder such things.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Apparently it actually has a pyschological affect on people and animals.
The terms Looney and lunatic spring to mind. In many languages the word for moon is lune or some variation of.
Apparently crime rates, break ups , car accidents, asthma attacks, depression, hyperactivity, headaches and bee stings all increase during full moon phases.
In the Middle east.. Some judges are known to be more lenient on those who commit crimes during full moon phases.

I think the moon is beautiful.. I have always loved the night sky.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I love looking up at the moon and find it beautiful and mysterious. The fact that we have landed on the moon does not take away from that impression for me. And I was born in 1983 and don't remember the Challenger explosion (though I know of it).

·
Registered
275 Posts
The moon represents cycles to me. It waxes and wanes back and fourth. It represents a form of time that contrasts with the common linear notion of it. If time is cyclical then how many times have other beings have come and gone? Now I'm thinking about past civilizations that were once at the height of their power and now don't exist. Now we only have remnants of what they have left behind to observe and ponder about in museums. Will there ever be a day where there will be remnants of our civilization in a museum with people wondering what exactly they were used for?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The moon is my celestial friend ^_^

Haha, the moon has always fascinated me. I could look at it for hours and not get bored. I like the idea of its function and how it affects things on Earth yet at the same time it reflects sunlight. This then makes me think how things are connected in the universe, its vastness and what is in it. The moon is my first mental step to the universe and many other things.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
The moon is my celestial friend ^_^

Haha, the moon has always fascinated me. I could look at it for hours and not get bored. I like the idea of its function and how it affects things on Earth yet at the same time it reflects sunlight. This then makes me think how things are connected in the universe, its vastness and what is in it. The moon is my first mental step to the universe and many other things.
Given your username, I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts in this thread :)

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
The moon... The moon speaks to me. (Not literally :p).

It like. I know it's just a large lump of rock orbiting the Earth but it has a profound effect on me. Like, it's always there. Someone (I can't remember who or where) called it Earth's companion in the celestial heavens and that rings true to me - it's always there. You can't always see it or notice it, but it's always there and always orbiting. It brings brightness to our nights, it can guide you if lost, and it has its presence felt in that while we don't always notice it or mention it it's always there - its reliability is a benchmark. Yet even for being so close it still holds mystery - for example, none who never enter space will ever see this, the far side of the moon.

Even the bits we can see easily (ie Tycho, the large crater towards the bottom of the Moon's near side - how did that get there? when? we have theories but it's still theory). For being a moon it's still special - by proportion to it's host planet, our moon is the largest in the Solar System, and can also make for beautiful eclipses.

To me the Moon is an inspiration and a model of the kind of friend i wish to be to others - calm, patient, and always there. Not always seen or felt, but always there and always reliable and loyal.

Looking at that picture I'm reminded of how special the Earth is and how the things we now take for granted aren't necessarily so (show that pic to people in 200AD and noone would've believed the Earth was flat anymore). We have trees and wildlife and air and clouds etc, and not all planets have those... Even Venus and Mars, our closest neighbors, are as desolate as the Moon is.

It's a gentle reminder of just how different things could be.

Sorry for rambling :eek:.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I think the moon is beautiful.. I have always loved the night sky.
Yep, fits in with your avatar.

Apparently it actually has a pyschological affect on people and animals.
The terms Looney and lunatic spring to mind. In many languages the word for moon is lune or some variation of.
Apparently crime rates, break ups , car accidents, asthma attacks, depression, hyperactivity, headaches and bee stings all increase during full moon phases.
In the Middle east.. Some judges are known to be more lenient on those who commit crimes during full moon phases.
Arc, I'm going to do here what you occasionally do - ask for evidence. I was fairly sure these kinds of links between the full moon and behaviour etc were fiction, but am happy to be corrected. Z

And why only Middle East judges?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts