Personality Cafe banner

Parental Professions -while- we were growing up (2 choices if 2 guardians)

• Business / Finance / Admin (banker, marketer, accountant, etc)

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Decor / Design (graphics artist, painter, home designer)

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Health Care / Education (nurses, doctors, teachers etc)

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Entertainment

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Law / Legal

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Public Service / Social Worker (politics, counselling, etc)

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Retail / Service oriented (waitress, cashier, maid, janitor etc)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • IT - Technical (programming, computers)

• Trades / Construction (laborers, plumbers, carpenters, etc)

• Homemaker

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Erratic (no specific fields, commonly unemployed)

• -------- Question 2: General number of Guardian(s) for a majority of your early life --------

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Two

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • -------- Question 3: Finacial Status of Family --------

• High / Medium Income

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Low Income

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • -------- Question 4: Environmental Stability (did get -you- move a lot?) --------

• Yes, we / I moved quite often.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • No, pretty much never.

Votes: 33 61.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 4 questions in the poll and they relate mainly to your childhood / early teens.
1st is parental professions (pick the best answer - 1 or 2 depending on on number of guardian(s)).
2nd is the number of parental figures that were -generally- responsible for you.
3rd is financial status of your family (high / medium income or low - pick one or the other)
4th is environmental stability (move around quite a bit? yes or no).

You should have no -more- than 5 total votes, and no less than 4.

Rather than storybook it, I'll get to the point and say that many of us can reasonably suggest that parenting styles play a reasonable role in our development growing up. Since professions can -generally- attract people of certain personality types, I'm curious if there are any commonalities in their professions and the fact that many of us are INFPs. I expanded on this to include # of guardians, financial status and environmental stability, which could also create conflict for both adults and children.

I realize that polls can be insensitive to various experiences, so I apologize if anyone is offended for generalizations. Please try to pick the best answer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Pageeeeeeee breakkkkk-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, my mom was a single nurse who often had to work night shift hours and would thus sleep during the day. This lead to both forms of neglect, and times of abuse (based on stress). Income was generally in the medium range, but we still ended up moving a lot (gradually to better places).

Looking forward to hearing some responses. Share as much or as little as you wish, I promise I'll read them all.

edit: fail typo on question 3 / 4.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
1st is parental professions (pick the best answer - 1 or 2 depending on on number of guardian(s)).
2nd is the number of parental figures that were -generally- responsible for you.
3rd is financial status of your family (high / medium income or low - pick one or the other)
1) My mom was a homemaker and then a preschool teacher and then a storyteller/clerk at the library and then a freelance storyteller.
My dad works at a soft drink manufacturing plant - he was a line supervisor most of my lifetime.
My biological father was a gopher at an ambulance-chaser law firm.

2) 3. Although I did have godparents and grandparents that were sometimes put in charge of my care. And my biological father did die when I was 8.

3) My mom and dad are the middleist of middle class. My biological father was probably lower-mid middle class.

4) No. My mom and dad only moved location once when I was very young (1), and my biological father only moved once when I was like, 3.

Reactions: Goosefish and Lad

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
There are 4 questions in the poll and they relate mainly to your childhood / early teens.
Parental Professions: Father was a welder, owned his own business. Mother was a homemaker. After age 11 - father was out of the picture. Mother worked various office jobs.

Number of parental figures: 2 until the age of 11. That is the last time I saw my father and my mother raised me.

Financial Status: From age 0-11 - mid to high, I wanted for nothing. Age 11 onward - low...I had to work if I wanted anything.

Environmental Stability: We moved a lot. As an adult I managed to live in one place for 7 years. Before that we never lived in one place for more than 3 years.

·
Registered
444 Posts
dad: accountant for big bank...corporate guy. eww
mom: stayed at home, got a job cuz she was bored after I moved out
always had both parents around. they were overall great parents I'd say.
financial security: my dad makes way good money, but acts as if he's dirt poor.
from the time i was 1 till 19, i lived in the same house.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Hm, I think cognitive function is innate. I think enneagram is formed by early childhood experience, but it would be very early and in the form of an emotional wounding, not your family's financial status or employment.

But I'll play along....

I'm not sure how to vote on a few...

My mom was mainly a homemaker for long periods, but during other periods she worked in office management type of work. Are office managers considered business/financial/admin?

My step-dad is an illustrator/designer - I grew up with him in the home. My dad is a musician and has had various day jobs ranging from furniture delivery to auto finance manager - I saw him infrequently growing up.

You mean from childhood into early teens? My mom is the only consistent person. Pre-age 2 my dad was around most of the time, post age 3 my step-dad came into the picture, but my dad didn't fully leave the picture. So I am not sure if my parental figures number 1, 2 or 3. I tend to see them as 1 3/4 - 1 mom + 1/2 dad + 1/4 dad :tongue:

How are we defining these? Is medium considered solid middle class? I'd say we were lower middle class income wise, but not low income to the point of poverty or anything.

We moved between houses several times, but not to different cities. All but one move kept me in the same school district, and that one move was done the first month of kindergarten....
I get the impression you are referring to moving to different cities....

-------

Anyhow, I tend to see myself as becoming an enneagram 4 because my dad left the family at an early age, and it affected my self-value, forming the sense of shame that motivates a 4 to be "unique" to counteract that feeling.

My mom is a good mom - sometimes "too" good. Mothering was smothering at times, and I think this is why I have a heavy 5 wing. I retreated into my head & detached emotionally to find some peace; fear of being overwhelmed by external stimuli became one of my deeply rooted emotional motivations.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
This was kind of hard to answer for me :tongue:

My dad worked in the post office as a clerk most of the time. For a while, he did IT work--fixing computers--for them. After he retired early, he went to work at a place to build industrial/commercial coffee machines for stores like Starbucks or McDonalds.

Mom stayed at home raising us. She was very good at it.

Financially, we were always "okay." We weren't poor, but we didn't have the latest stuff. We didn't go on vacations much and we couldn't frivilously spend money. But we weren't cold during winter or ever hungry. So lower-middle class, I guess? I don't like being grouped with the high-income class... A lot of my peers were solid middle class and it was obvious we never had that much. My sister cared far more than I did, though.

I've never moved yet, so our housing situation is very stable.

To be honest, I don't know how I came out an INFP. I see MBTI to be more innate, like OrangeAppled; however, I do know that Mom fostered my Ti (that's the closest I got for you and it isn't even INFPish). Enneagram is easier: I was in and out of the hospital often as a young child (until age six or seven), which could very well lead to Sixish tendancies. It doesn't help that my mom is a Six, either.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm, I think cognitive function is innate. I think enneagram is formed by early childhood experience, but it would be very early and in the form of an emotional wounding, not your family's financial status or employment.
You may very well be right, but that's nature vs nurture talk. Most people have generally agreed that it's a combination of both.

For example, biological hormones, such as serotonin, are manipulated through treatment as a baby -> late childhood. When emotional outbursts occur it is important that a child is carefully calmed down through nurturing. Otherwise, serotonin levels will remain low and will lead to greater emotional outbursts and an inability to control emotions. Basic therapy cannot cure this. That's why most pills a psychiatrist would prescribe will be related to serotonin.It's the feel good hormone that allows you to cope better.

Irregular levels of serotonin can result in a number of things that would probably influence you quite extensively. To name a few,
Inability to control emotions
Unexplainable tears
Depression
Sleeping disorders
Anxiety
Eating disorders

Many of those are common within INFPs, and the list is much larger than that too.

With regards to family financial status, virtually every form of empirical evidence I have studied will argue that socio-economic status is one of the greatest indicators of childhood deviance, misconduct, and future behavioral problems. I can't say the same about parental employment, but I was mostly curious on that front.

My mom was mainly a homemaker for long periods, but during other periods she worked in office management type of work. Are office managers considered business/financial/admin?
Yup, I'd consider it within that category.

How are we defining these? Is medium considered solid middle class? I'd say we were lower middle class income wise, but not low income to the point of poverty or anything.
Low income would be living with basic necessities, and in some cases, possibly below that.
Medium can still extend to troubling time with little luxuries, but you still eat, you're warm (as one person mentioned), and generally a-ok.

I get the impression you are referring to moving to different cities....
I meant just moving your home base. Even moving across the street is still a re-location.

-------------------------
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it :D.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My dad was in the military, my mother was a homemaker. We didn't have much money growing up, so I put low income. We moved around constantly. My father was SO into moving up the chain of command that he took every opportunity to advance, which meant his family was/is neglected, and we moved on average about every 18 months. I attended three different jr high schools and three different high schools.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
1st is parental professions:
Mother is author of several books on developing character/achievment in humans and one book on Kohlberg's moral development stages. She's a Jefferson award winner, past teacher/principal/consultant and up until recently she lead many seminars. Now she is retired, living the good life, enjoys teaching bible school at her church and playing the slots.
Father is a bit of a mystery and pretty much keeps his mouth shut on all that he has done. Publicaly his title was director of marketing for a company that now, no longer exists. He had many business meetings with CIA, Navy, Army, Iran, Greece, France, Tonga, even that guy Tom Hanks played -- Charlie Wilson visited the company my father worked for. This company was behind the propulsion needed for tomahawk missiles. He visited many countries in the 70s and 80s and would take my sister and I to a few test rocket launchings when we were younger.

Both when they were home. Both were very busy in their professions.

High.

Stable. One move in 2nd grade, one move in 10th grade.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Father was security guard for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Mom was never employed. Ever.

Two, although my father passed away when I was 17 (Not sure if that counts as young, lol.)

I put down low income. We were stable, but there were many things that needed to be bought/fixed, but my father was never able to afford.

Nope, the only time I've ever moved was when I was one year old.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Both of my parents are farmers and there isnt really an option for that (trade/construction comes close, but farming isnt really a trade).

While my parents grew up in different countries (Dad is from New Zealand, Mother is Swiss), they both grew up in farming villages. Because of this their income tends to fluctuate depending on variables such as weather and payout etc, but generally I guess my parents fall in the perhaps upper middle class. They are asset rich.

While my parents have both always been present in my life, I have always had a much stronger bond with my mother. I asked her to take the MBTI once and she got something very different from me, but I am not sure she understood all the questions as english isnt her first language (also some of the questions can be potentially confusing because the answer can vary depending on the circumstance), however, I find that her demeanor is qutie similar to my own.

And lastly, we have never moved. While I attended boarding school and have lived in flats and other accomodation for University, my parents have never moved, and I dont suspect that they will until they retire.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My Dad is a military officer, and my Mom a supervisor for a landscaping company.

Middle class.

Moved almost once every 2 years.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
My mom mainly worked in administration doing accounting, data entry, etc. My dad had a lot of jobs that I can't really remember. I know he was a security guard at one point. And my grandpa worked at the post office and my grandma worked for social security.

Mainly my mom and grandparents.

Pretty much medium income though at times it felt like low income. We all hate grocery shopping.

We moved around a bit but basically stayed in the same areas. We moved about five times, but there was only one move that made a big change where I had to meet new people and everything.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Both my parents worked as retail managers in bakery/deli and meat/seafood and assistant store manager eventually for my dad - I was raised as much by babysitters as I was by my parents. They worked an average of 55 hours a week (each). During holiday season it was upward of 65-75 hours a week. My brother and I were pretty much given free reign from about age 10 and 8 onward. *shrugs*

My parents are still married and raised us, but like I said, I was raised by my babysitters as much as by my parents - weekday and weekend sitters were different.

We were pretty much middle-middle class. We didn't take vacations or go many places until I started middle school, but that was as much a time thing for my parents as it was a money issue. I know when I was very young we were at near poverty level - having to make the decision whether they should get gas in the car versus milk for formula was far to common. They worked their way up and my brother and I weren't aware of the financial strains until much later.

As a family unit, we moved twice, once from Wyoming to Denver when I was two and then to the house I grew up in just before I turned five.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My father was was in business (sales and sometimes management) when I was growing up. When I was in high school he went back to school and got his masters in education so that he could become a teacher, so since my junior year of high school he has taught math and special ed at a high school in NYC. I voted for business for him though because that's what he did for the vast majority of childhood.

I put down homemaker for my mother because she was for most of my childhood, but she went back to work as a secretary in the HR department of a hospital when I was 12 and I honestly can't even remember what life was like before she went back to work. She works so much now and because I think the early teens are some of the most formative years (they were for me anyway) and she was working while I was in those years I'll always think of her as working during my childhood.

My parents are still married, but my mom was generally responsible for taking care of me. Growing up I rarely saw my dad more than a few minutes a day either because he was working late or when he went back to school because he was in class. Though honestly most of my life my parents haven't bothered with me too much. I think they think their job as parents is to make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to and I always did what I was supposed to on my own so I didn't get too much attention.

I guess by national standards we were always pretty well off, but by local standards we were pretty average. I grew up on Long Island and it's generally a pretty expensive area, but it's really not any better than other areas I've seen (except that it's NYC adjacent). Obviously my dad's income took a dip when he left business for teaching, but with both of my parents working full time they've never really had a problem with money.

I've never moved in my life. I still live in the house I grew up in.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
You may very well be right, but that's nature vs nurture talk. Most people have generally agreed that it's a combination of both.

For example, biological hormones, such as serotonin, are manipulated through treatment as a baby -> late childhood. When emotional outbursts occur it is important that a child is carefully calmed down through nurturing. Otherwise, serotonin levels will remain low and will lead to greater emotional outbursts and an inability to control emotions. Basic therapy cannot cure this. That's why most pills a psychiatrist would prescribe will be related to serotonin.It's the feel good hormone that allows you to cope better.

Irregular levels of serotonin can result in a number of things that would probably influence you quite extensively. To name a few,
Inability to control emotions
Unexplainable tears
Depression
Sleeping disorders
Anxiety
Eating disorders

Many of those are common within INFPs, and the list is much larger than that too.

With regards to family financial status, virtually every form of empirical evidence I have studied will argue that socio-economic status is one of the greatest indicators of childhood deviance, misconduct, and future behavioral problems. I can't say the same about parental employment, but I was mostly curious on that front.
That's the thing - there are MANY aspects to personality. MBTI simply describes cognitive function. Most of everything you discussed above does not relate to cognitive processes. Much of that is EMOTIONAL, and emotional motivations are better described a system like enneagram, which does assert these motivations are largely due to nurture & not nature. Also, behavior and cognition are not the same thing - many different thought processes can lead to similar behavior.

I disagree those problems you listed are commonly found in INFPs. There is no evidence to support that claim. Anonymous, self-typed people on the internet who may have also diagnosed themselves is not reliable data. There is nothing inherently flawed about the INFP mindset - it describes a normal thought process, not a personality disorder or emotional problem. In Gifts Differing, it is stressed that the types are portraits of relatively healthy, mature people, and the purpose of MBTI is to highlight that a different way of thinking is not inferior or superior to other ways - hence the title of the book...

·
Registered
717 Posts
My parents are both teachers. My mom teaches where I went to high school and is in charge of computers. My dad is a professor / band director / musician.

My mom was usually responsible for us. My dad was working on getting his doctorate most of the time I was growing up and then taught in different states for three years before we moved to be with him.

Somewhere in the high / medium income.

We moved once. We traveled most weekends after we moved. I have trouble staying in the same city for more than three weeks.

Reactions: Lad

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Much of the time, teaching and government. (I don't know what category that fits.)

1 - often a parent would be disinterested in parenting :(

"Somewhere in the high / medium income."

Me, several times, different school districts and beyond. I couldn't answer the poll, because I don't know if that is "quite a bit."

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
841 Posts
My mother used to work in finances at Alabama Power from 1979 until 1994. But she then became a "stay-at-home" mother. My dad, from 1983 until 2009 had an appliance business.

Middle Class

Haven't moved in fourteen years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts