Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 16 personality types in our world; Next to the INFJs, we are some of the rarest personality types ever. Not one personality types is better than the other; We're all different, and we have strengths as well as weaknesses. When people describe someone who has a "great personality", it's not because they are the typical, party-hard and get-everything-they-want ESTJs... They are describing someone, no matter what their personality type are, who has brought out the very best of themselves and have almost diminished all of their weaknesses.

INFP Personal Growth

Here is the list of thw weaknesses that the INFP typically have. I will bold the ones that I have issues with that I need to tackle down:

• May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism.
  • May perceive criticism where none was intended.
  • May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality.
  • May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions.
  • May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly.
  • May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper.
  • May be unaware of appropriate social behavior. (I have no idea... I may have been bad before.)
  • May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress.
  • May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it.
  • May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view.
  • May value their own opinions and feelings far above others.
  • May be unaware of how their behavior affects others.
  • May be oblivious to other people's need.
  • May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP.
  • May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them.
  • Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things.
  • Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly.
  • May have unreasonable expectations of others.
  • May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations. (Note: However, I don't think it's because of unreasonable expectations... It's just, I SUCK at being social and having a social life in general.)

Your turn. :<

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism.
May perceive criticism where none was intended.
May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality.
May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions.
May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly.
May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper.
May be unaware of appropriate social behavior.*
May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress.
May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it.
May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view.
May value their own opinions and feelings far above others.
May be unaware of how their behavior affects others.
May be oblivious to other people's need.
May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP.
May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them.
Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things.
Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly.
May have unreasonable expectations of others.
May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My issues at the moment are:

May be unaware of appropriate social behavior. (I have no idea... I may have been bad before.)
May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it.
May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP.
Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things.
May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations. (Note: However, I don't think it's because of unreasonable expectations.

These aren't all necessarily rampant problems, they are issues that affect me from time to time which I take notice of. Due to the number, I still have a way to go.

·
Registered
375 Posts
*Matchbook dips his head and climbs through the ropes into the rink*

Commentator: "Tooo-o-o-NIGHT ladies and gentleman, we have a real treat in store for you. It's an all-out bout between Matchbook and The Inner Foe!! Let's hear it for Matchbook!"

*The crowd roars as Matchbook jogs in place and raises his gloved fist aloft to meet the cheers of the raucous throng*

*The flashing lights suddenly cease and one massive spotlight spills onto the next fighter's entrace, as dramatic theme music pounds and reverbates in the stadium*

Commentator: "With a perfect 365 and 0 record and 89 KO's, put your vocal chords to work forrrrr...THE INNER FOEEEE!!!"

*The crowd erupts into an absolute frenzy as The Inner Foe steps into the spotlight, directing his death gaze upon Matchbook 100 feet away, and then strides ahead toward the rink, a brawny conglomeration of every one of Matchbook's weaknesses. Matchbook's throat feels like an egg is lodged in it as he watches his enemy draw nearer with every stride and earthquaking stomp. The Inner Foe steps up onto the edge of the rink and rips right through the ropes, pounding his chest and letting out a roar that drowns out the deafening crowd*

(Bell Rings)

*The Inner Foe charges toward Matchbook and throws his fist right at Matchbook's face. Just before the fist arrives at its cranial destination, Matchbook sees "Sensitive to Criticism" right on the front of the fist as it drives into Matchbook's face, sending him hurtling against the corner of the rink*

Commentator: "The Inner Foe with a lights out punch to the face! Matchbook is dazed in the corner, looking like a weakling! Can he conjure the strength to match this giant?"

*Jeers and hoots from the crowd are aimed at Matchbook, who manages to get to his feet, shaking off the flashing stars that cling to his vision, only to see The Inner Foe winding up for a death blow.*

Commentator: "This could be it ladies and gentlemen!!"

*Matchbook gathers his wits and dodges the blow, dancing to the side and sending a fist right to the left pectoral of The Inner Foe, dislodging a section that says, "Unable to understand other's points of view." The dislodged section flies out of the rink, and the enraged Inner Foe momentarily seeths as he watches Matchbook hopping light around him.

Commentator: "Unbelievable!! Matchbook with a solid blow to the heart of The Inner Foe! Does he have renewed strength?"

*Unleashing his malicious rage, The Inner Foe runs at Matchbook, and seizes his entire body, lifting him airborne, and launches him out of the rink as he hits the cement.*

Commentator: "Ooooohhh!!!! It looks like Matchbook is out for good here, folks."

*Matchbook feels pain shooting through every area of his body as he struggles to retain consciousness.*

Referee: "...4.....3...."

*The image of his valiant blow to The Inner Foe leaps into the front of Matchbook's mind, delivering him renewed energy and courage, and he pushes upward against the pain.*

Referee: "...2....1..."

*With shaking limbs and a shrill cry of courageous fervor, Matchbook beseeches Divine power beyond his own and rises onto rocking legs.*

Commentator: "Impossible! Defying a sure KO, Matchbook has risen to his feet, and is pointing his finger at The Inner Foe, who looks stunned from the rink!"

*With shock, the crowd opens into a delirious cacophony of screams and encouraging shouts toward Matchbook. Shedding thoughts of his pain, Matchbook moves with intensity toward the rink, and with no hesitation, pulls himself up and through the ropes, and with a warcry that silences the crowd, he runs directly at The Inner Foe.

Commentator: "Matchbook and The Inner Foe are running right at each other! The crowd is in stunned silence. Who will prevail?"

...The War Continues.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Ones I may have issues with now:
* May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality.
* May be unaware of appropriate social behavior. (I have no idea... I may have been bad before.)
* May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress.
* May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, while being aware of it.
* Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things.
* May have unreasonable expectations of others.
* May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations.

·
Registered
716 Posts
  • May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality. (how would you know?)
  • May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions. (I'm getting better at it)
  • May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly. (Used to)
  • May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper.
  • May be unaware of appropriate social behavior.
  • May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it. I'm very aware of it though..)
  • May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP.
  • May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them. Used to be bad at that. Still traces left of it, but not so much that it deserves a bolding)
  • Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things. Only happens if something in my life seems impossible or if I'm surprised by an unpleasant situation)
  • May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions.
May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly.
May be unaware of appropriate social behavior.
May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them.
May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations.

the social stuff is bad... I have googled "how to make friends" before, which is kind of pathetic... /slashes wrists wah lyfe sux

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
the social stuff is bad... I have googled "how to make friends" before, which is kind of pathetic... /slashes wrists wah lyfe sux
lol you'd be surprised how weird/pathetic a lot of the things people google are.
"how to be like ke$ha" popped up once while i was typing into the search :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality

May be unaware of appropriate social behavior. (I have no idea... I may have been bad before.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
  • May perceive criticism where none was intended. (I think it's due to a history of being picked on, I'm on the lookout, to protect myself)
  • May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions.
  • May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly.
  • May be unaware of appropriate social behavior.
  • May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it. (I usually notice after I've said/done something, which leads to a inner /facedesk)
  • May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them. (I see it as more of a defensive action, I can f.ex put a label on someone, to remind myself to not be manipulated again (or the like, I don't treat others badly due to 'judgements', i allways forgive, in time)
  • Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things.
  • Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly. (I used to atleast, I haven't experience any great stressfactors in a long time)
  • May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations. (This is mainly aimed at myself though, I want to be so much more then I am, which I guess can drive people off, I do not know)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
  • May be unaware of appropriate social behavior. (I have no idea... I may have been bad before.)
    [*]May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress.
  • May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it.
    [*]May value their own opinions and feelings far above others.
    [*]May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them. not so sure about this
  • May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations.

I wonder if having OCD will increase some of those things. who's gonna know dat.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper. (Somewhat)
May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it.(pretty aware of it. ha-Ha!)
May value their own opinions and feelings far above others.(somewhat)
Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly.(can you make the bold thicker?)

So, yeah I've got a lot to work on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
[*]May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality.
What is reality?

[*]May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly.
I refuse to see myself as a victim. Usually, I see myself as the villain and blame myself for everything. :crazy:

[*]May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper.
My anger actually looks pretty funny. Most people think I'm joking. Occasionally, I used to lash out at someone but I always ended up harming myself instead.

[*]May be unaware of appropriate social behavior.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

[*]May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress.
May not care.

[*]May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it.
I like to be interesting. :laughing:

[*]May value their own opinions and feelings far above others.
Probably.

[*]May be unaware of how their behavior affects others.
[*]May be oblivious to other people's need.
These two, I feel bad about.

[*]Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things.
[*]Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly.
Yes.

[*]May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations. (Note: However, I don't think it's because of unreasonable expectations... It's just, I SUCK at being social and having a social life in general.)
Not because of unreasonable expectations (I tend to idolize people :bored:), usually just insecurity and stress.

·
Registered
391 Posts
May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism. - I think I've conquered this one, mostly. But I realise this is probably the reason I remember my childhood with such frustration.
May perceive criticism where none was intended. - All right, I'm still dealing with this one. But I recognise it. And I'm learning to understand.
May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality. - Probably, but if so, I am unaware of how reality is supposed to be...
May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions. - I don't think so. Unless it's something I feel really strongly about.
May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly. - I did as a child. I think (hope) I've outgrown this one.
May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper. - No, I don't think so.
May be unaware of appropriate social behavior. - Yeah, I think so.
May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress. - Yes. Sort of. I mean, I know most girls pluck their eyebrows, but it's so painful, and I'm not good with symmetry, so I don't bother. I don't know anything about fashion, either.
May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it. - Um, how am I supposed to know if this is true?
May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view. - quite the opposite, actually
May value their own opinions and feelings far above others. - no.
May be unaware of how their behavior affects others. - Only when I'm not paying attention. Which is most of the time :laughing:
May be oblivious to other people's need. - No. I understand others' need. I just don't know what to do about it.
May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP. - Yes.
May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them. - Yes. *sigh* But it takes a great deal to get onto my list.
Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things. - yes
Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly. - yes
May have unreasonable expectations of others. - Anyone who has read my blog would probably agree this is the case. However, I have almost no expectations of people unless I really, really love them.
May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations. - Yes. :sad:

·
Registered
168 Posts
* May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
* May perceive criticism where none was intended
* May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality
* May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions
* May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly
* May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper
* May be unaware of appropriate social behavior
* May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress
* May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it
* May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view
* May value their own opinions and feelings far above others
* May be unaware of how their behavior affects others
* May be oblivious to other people's need
* May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP
* May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them
* Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things
* Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly
* May have unreasonable expectations of others
* May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been working on most of these issues since middle school, so I feel like I am a pretty balanced individual. But I still have to work at controlling the following things.

# May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism. - I have taught myself to not internalize other people's opinions of me. I still obsess over small criticisms but I am not crushed by them anymore and I usually get over it quickly.

# May perceive criticism where none was intended. - I am constantly wondering about people's intentions. I have to remind myself that people don't secretly hate me or think I'm stupid.

# May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly. - I do this in the moment, but after some reflection time, I always realize I was being irrational.

# May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper. - This used to be my biggest problem. I would never express any negative feelings until I would randomly explode and be very cruel to people I care about. The best way to prevent this, I've found, is to just express those negative feelings when I feel them.

# May value their own opinions and feelings far above others. - Hehe, again, I do this in the moment, then upon reflections realize I'm being dumb.

# May feel tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP. - Yeah.

# Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly. - Obsessively is like the number one adverb in my life.

# May have unreasonable expectations of others. - I can keep this in check when interacting with people, but in my own head when I'm alone, I still do this a lot.

# May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations. - Oh dear.... Only romantic relationships.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Wow, this is quite an intimidating list.

* May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
I am working on growing a thick skin. I am making progress
* May perceive criticism where none was intended
Still doing that to some extent, though less that I used to.
* May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality
Not my problem
* May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions
I believe myself te be reasonably open to other viewpoints
* May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly
I dont do that
* May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper
Not so much anger as much as impulsiveness. Short fuse. Its extremely hard to deal with this one.
* May be unaware of appropriate social behavior
Got that tackled
* May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress
I'm oblivious all right. Not that I care.
* May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it
I know full well I may come across that way. So be it. Its take it or leave it.
* May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view
Inapplicable to me
* May value their own opinions and feelings far above others
To an extent that is true. But I am not inflexible, see above. Yet I do have a few unassailable items
* May be unaware of how their behavior affects others
That may very well be true. I wouldnt know how to change that
* May be oblivious to other people's need
Yes, that can be a problem. I am working on that, though not making much progress
* May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP
Disagreement is no problem at all. Views and opinions are just that.
Disapproval of ME as a person is a lot harder for me to deal with. I dont give myself the license to return the ad hominem attack, so sometimes its as if I am fighting with one hand behind my back.
* May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them
I wouldnt know. No one has ever been oppressive to me
* Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things
Yes, sometimes I tend to do that
* Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly
Thats not obsession, its hyperfocus. But its true, problems can completely dominate my whole day.
* May have unreasonable expectations of others
I have learned to curb those somewhat
* May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations
I pick and chose my relationships in such a manner that this problem never crops up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism. (I can't help it really)
May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality. (Maybe)
May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions. (Introverted feeling is very possessive)
May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper. (Its scares myself when I think about it sometime, but this is due to my sensitivity)
May be unaware of appropriate social behavior.* (True. I come off as rude when I don't even notice it.)
May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress. (Very true)
May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view. (I do, but I feel its wrong still)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts