Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post on this forum was an awkward, "Hi how are you?" so naturally my second is an awkward "What do you think?" I apologize immediately rushing into this, but I've been rummaging around the internet looking for understanding of all this, and frankly, this forum has impressed me once or twice. I can't remember who it was, but someone explained to me the cognitive functions using Whinne the Pooh, and it helped me more than all the parrot-cut-and-paste articles I keep finding. So please, take my eagerness as a compliment.

P.S. Thank you Herp for making this form. Makes posting about this 10x easier.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I've tested numerous times and INTJ comes up the vast majority of the time. I think I've gotten another result maybe twice. However, I've been told not to trust the online tests, and to understand your functions in order to know your type.

I have doubts about INTJ because every where I go I keep hearing how amazing they are in academics, science, math and philosophy. I hate school and academics. I'm horrible at math and science, and have only a passing interest in philosophy. I feel out of place when I read the posts of other INTJs. I know I shouldn't base doubts on that, but there you are.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Well of things I yearn for that I have the possibility of actually *having*. I'd say self mastery. People are often their own enemies, but if they can control and discipline themselves they are their greatest ally. There are few things that they could *not* do.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Ok, this is going to sound pathetic but it has to do with a computer game. Once upon a time there was an online massive multiplayer game called Warhammer Online. I played it before it took huge nose dive into obscurity and broke my heart. Back when it was a heavily populated game. This game was very dependent on player vs player combat. One side's army (composed of many players) would try and take the opposing sides keep or city. Because each soldier was an individual player, you could have upwards of fifty or people in your group with you . (Sometimes hundreds depending on how it was arranged. The first time a city fell in the game it was due to up to a thousand players working together) The combat was well put together so these sieges and attacks could get pretty intense, as it was important that everyone move together. It really got the blood going. Well I got home from work one night and logged on. I was in a warband for about twenty minutes (a warband is a group of players consisting of around 6 to 48 players. Ours was full) After about twenty minutes the warband leader announces he has to log for dinner, who wants to lead the group. Everybody shuts up. Everyone wants to fight, but no one wants to lead because its like herding cats. I just got home, I'm tired, I was really looking forward to this and now it looks like the warband is going to end. Frustrated, I step up and say I'll do it. Two hours later I've locked down and captured every single keep within my tier range, and I've got two other warbands communicating with me and following my lead. The high point came when we started approaching enemy keeps and seeing enemy players actually running out of it *away* from us. Too demoralized to stand and fight. So yes, its pathetic but the only memory I can recall at the moment that fills me with pride is when I served with distinction in an imaginary war in a game that hit rock bottom.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Comparing myself to others. I always feel that everyone around me is doing better in life than I am. Academics also makes me feel inferior. Don't get me wrong I applaud those who can do science and math, but listening to them talk sometimes makes me feel like an idiot.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

What I ask myself is, Does this make sense, rationally, morally and ethically? What will provide the best long term outcome?

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I do like to have control but it absolutely necessary. I want to do my part of the project to the best of my ability, and to make sure it harmonizes with the other parts. No harmony, no finished project. At least not a *good* finished project.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Well the incident I described for question 3 would have to be one of those times, lol. I would also say playing D&D with some of my friends. One particular incident involved a hive of howler wasps, and the banning of all greater alchemical fire flasks from the game. I loved it because it was a story, with a character I designed and that character was interacting with other characters and the world around him. I've played story focused RPGs on the PC before but there was something special about this. You could do almost anything or try to do anything.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I need to see it, and then I need to do it once or twice.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Fairly organized. If I think its important I'll organize it. If not, as long as its located in a general area.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

A little bit of both. The first thing I do is understand the principles. Does this make sense? Then if it does I begin searching my mind for an example that helps support this idea.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

This is a tricky question. When working with a group its important that the group moves together I think, but there are points where I go "No. I don't buy your idea. This is what should be done." It maybe more accurate to say that I tend to gravitate towards groups I think I would harmonize naturally with. If I think the tasks or whatever is going on with the group is important enough, I'll try to comply more with the group.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I think before I speak. Sometimes I don't think long enough, but yes I do think. I prefer one on one communication, if in a group then no larger than four or five.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I like to have some direction first. Sometimes I get a little over excited and leap first, but thats rare. I at least some sort of preliminary idea in place before I leap. It then gets refined bit by bit as I go along. Actions speak louder than words, as actions tend to give the best support *to* your words. But I think both are needed.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I go out. When I was a teenager I didn't go out anywhere. I can do TV anytime. Its not like the same episode isn't going to appear twice, or I couldn't look it up on Hulu.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I get really quiet, and I'm told I radiate rage. When I talk it sometimes sound like I'm trying to be overly gentle (and I think I am). I want solitude. No people. I want silence. I slip into my depression and start seeing the world through its lens. Will eat horrible foods and sleep long periods of time.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Arrogance is something I've always despised. Also naivete and overly friendly/peppy attitudes. People who seem to have no restraint when they talk to others. Also, if your being friendly to me only because you feel obligated to, I WILL pick up on that. I really dislike many teenage girls for their inability to take anything seriously and laugh at the slightest provocation. Oh and also because of the lack of restraint thing, but that applies to both genders of teenagers.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I am a huge fantasy nerd, so anything pertaining to books and rpg games I love talking about. I also love talking about extreme hypothetical situations. I mean they are extreme to the point of comedy. Like how to hunt moose with a snorkel and a pair of brass knuckles extreme. Becoming grocery pirates with ATVs and a semi. I like this because its funny to think about, and it gets funnier the more you start to think out the how of it all.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

That is hard to say. I would assume family. We aren't very close. This is a difficult question for me to pin down.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Another hard one, I have few friends and I never ask them how they perceive me. I never ask along the lines of 'what do you think of me'. I'm curious to know, but I don't ask. If I had to guess it would be that I'm a bit of a smart ass. Not very social with strangers. Easily frustrated. At one of our gatherings one of them compared me with Eyore;
"If Night had a Disney character it would be Eyore. How was your day Night?
'I came to work, some customers came in and I HATED them' "

I laughed so hard at this because its very accurate, it was only later that I realized that this might have been a more forceful jab at me than I realized, but still, accurate. I can gravitate towards the negative easily, even when I don't *feel* negative.
I've also been told I'm very honest at times.

I guess what they wouldn't say is, that I'm bouncy. They wouldn't call me an extravert. That I would be a sunny person. They wouldn't call me a liar, or shallow, that much I'm sure.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Whenever I have a day like this I'm torn between what I want to do and what I *should* do. I should be exercising, I should be cleaning this or the other. I should be learning to do this and that. Improving myself.
What I *want* to do is game, read, nap and dream. Anything that indulges my sense of fantasy and imagination. Discovering well written books, web comics and games always energizes me and makes me restless. I sometimes can't even do this because picking an RPG class is a nightmare to me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
INTJ seems to fit IMO. I feel that I'm seeing a lot of Ni and Te. I considered you as Ti dominant, but Te ultimately made a lot more sense in how you orient yourself towards the world to achieve success.

Your answers here come across as particularly Te:
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

What I ask myself is, Does this make sense, rationally, morally and ethically? What will provide the best long term outcome?

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I do like to have control but it absolutely necessary. I want to do my part of the project to the best of my ability, and to make sure it harmonizes with the other parts. No harmony, no finished project. At least not a *good* finished project.
15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I get really quiet, and I'm told I radiate rage. When I talk it sometimes sound like I'm trying to be overly gentle (and I think I am). I want solitude. No people. I want silence. I slip into my depression and start seeing the world through its lens. Will eat horrible foods and sleep long periods of time.
Inferior Se perhaps?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INTJ seems to fit IMO. I feel that I'm seeing a lot of Ni and Te. I considered you as Ti dominant, but Te ultimately made a lot more sense in how you orient yourself towards the world to achieve success.

Your answers here come across as particularly Te:
Ack, let me point out in question six I made a typo. "I do like to have control but it absolutely necessary" should be "I do like to have control but it is not absolutely necessary"
Just in case that changes your thinking.

As for inferior Se I will look into this as I'm just now beginning to get a better understanding of sensing and the inferior function (This forum and its articles is becoming a huge source of information and understanding) I can already tell that almost everyone here has a better grasp on psychology than I do, so pardon me if I understand this wrong, but the inferior is something you don't want to agitate. The one you don't want to load down on and stress. Am I correct?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ack, let me point out in question six I made a typo. "I do like to have control but it absolutely necessary" should be "I do like to have control but it is not absolutely necessary"
Just in case that changes your thinking.
Lol. My mind filled in the blanks so I read it exactly as you intended..

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

This is a tricky question. When working with a group its important that the group moves together I think, but there are points where I go "No. I don't buy your idea. This is what should be done." It maybe more accurate to say that I tend to gravitate towards groups I think I would harmonize naturally with. If I think the tasks or whatever is going on with the group is important enough, I'll try to comply more with the group.
I also meant to add this to the list. You answered the question specifically with the thought of accomplishing a task in mind, whereas others might have a different take. It's not a bad thing..It actually helps reveal more of what I believe to be Te. I could be wrong, but as a general observation, your entire approach to finding your type and some of the comments you have made strike me as very Te, especially what you express below. It's mainly in the way you're seeking out external logic or opinions and holding them in really high regard in determining your type:

As for inferior Se I will look into this as I'm just now beginning to get a better understanding of sensing and the inferior function (This forum and its articles is becoming a huge source of information and understanding) I can already tell that almost everyone here has a better grasp on psychology than I do, so pardon me if I understand this wrong, but the inferior is something you don't want to agitate. The one you don't want to load down on and stress. Am I correct?
To address some of the content in the above quote, let me point you to a couple threads and articles that might be able to answer this question better than I can:

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...or-functions-negative-behavior-complexes.html
Check out Liquid Light's Post #7

These articles describe the manifestations of the inferior function in specific types, namely Ni-dominants (Se inferior), Ti dominants (Fe inferior), and Te dominants (Fi inferior)
http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/76896-recognizing-inferior-function-intj.html
http://personalitycafe.com/intp-articles/76783-recognizing-inferior-function-intp.html
The Form of the Inferior - ETJs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be wrong, but as a general observation, your entire approach to finding your type and some of the comments you have made strike me as very Te, especially what you express below. It's mainly in the way you're seeking out external logic or opinions and holding them in really high regard in determining your type: -allisreal
I hadn't even noticed I had phrased it in that way. But you are correct. I love getting feed back and another point of view. Alas, this is too rare as most people won't share with me on things I really want to know about, and I rarely ask as I've learned that some people don't like being used as a mirror. Its odd I always understood Te to act directly out on the world. Bringing order and implementing, it never occurred to me that I could be using it to gather information.

The articles you gave me regarding the inferior function kinda blew me away. Its one thing for me to go through and look at what INTJs tend to like and do, its another to examine what they are like when they are stressed in certain ways. To quote LiquidLight's post;
Inferior Se: Hypochondria. Sexual and financial problems. Physical addictions galore. Violent tendencies. Overeating. Lack of awareness of real facts. The tendency to, as Von Franz puts it, to tell you the most appalling nonsense and swear that it is true because of their general overlooking of the world as it is. Very raw and primal and almost animalistic sensation. Often making incorrect superficial judgments.
(there is probably a better way to quote this, but I'm unfamiliar with mechanics of forum posting)
When I read this my first notion was to dismiss it. Shake my head and go "no, no this doesn't seem like me" then a more rational side of my mind piped up. Reminding me of a phrase I use quite a bit at work "Gah....I think I maybe getting something" It reminded me that after work, I'm tired and exhusted and screw health I want chicken. I get these surges of anger at work, and sometimes I worry its going to spill out into physical action (to be fair, some of these people need righteous smack). It never becomes physical, but I am aware there is something violent in me.

Then I read "Recognizing the Inferior Function in INTJ". That was both exciting and unnerving, like looking in a mirror. One little snip pit in particular;
Of the four dominant Introverted types, it is Introverted Intuitive types who most frequently mention “too much extraverting” as a common trigger for inferior function responses.They describe being provoked by such things as crowds; people overload; noisy, busy environments; feeling that their personal space is being invaded; and frequent interruptions. When faced with such provocations, they retreat inside themselves and become intolerant of intrusions by others.They either express irritation at people’s questions or do not respond at all to attempts to communicate with them.
I work in retail, and in a certain cafe in a certain retail chain that will not be spoken here. I love working for that store, but the job slowly kills me. I go home at times and feel as though I've been sick all afternoon. Drained. I hate crowds, and people. A few weeks ago, when I was searching for something to compare it too (while in this horrible state of mind) I came to the conclusion that people are noise to me. Just. Noise, not in a completely auditory sense neither. Sometimes I will turn, go into the back, step into the freezer and shut the door. That calms me down a bit. Its dim, cool, no movement, and the only sound is the fan. I absolutely loath when I'm working on something or other and a customer comes up to the counter. They are interrupting me, they are interrupting MY TASK. This is an irrational anger, I know. But I can't seem to stop myself. I could go on, but this is a scary accurate portrait of how I am when stressed at work.

Another quote;
INTJs in particular are intolerant of and impatient with inefficiency and with others’ avoidance of problems.They like to get to the heart of an issue immediately, which sometimes makes others uncomfortable.
Again, this is me all over, "You don't know what you want.....then WHY-ARE-YOU-IN-MY-LINE?", "No. Gather your little idiot brood, talk to them, find out what they want, THEN approach me. Don't try to gather this information while they are all over the store and you are holding up my line".
Me: "What can we get for you?"
Customer: "How are you today?"
Me: "Not the question I asked. Lets try this again"
I don't actually *say* these things, but damn I'm sure I think them loud enough. Sorry, I'm just ranting and venting now. The bottom line this is VERY much me. It mentions a little later on that being in a prolonged inferior grip causes the subject to respond quicker to these trigger situations, which is worrying. I haven't read the entire article yet, but I will after this lay down. Thank you, good stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts