Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone else interested in this coined genre? I because heavily interested in it earlier this year beginning with listening to The Shaggs.
At first I couldn't stop laughing at it, but after listening to it a second time, I began to like it. It's almost like one of those 'it's so bad, it's good' kind of things. I know, I'm weird. If anyone else is interested in other musicians in the outsider genre, do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I had never heard of it before, but...I kind of really like this. In a weird way. It's just so sonically interesting. Keeps the ears intrigued, you know?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
In my opinion, there are two main types of outsider music. The first is from people who are mentally ill or painfully inept at music (usually both). The kind that's actually good is considered "outsider" just because of how experimental it is. Examples of the latter:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Who, I agree with what you said about those being mentally ill or basically tone deaf when it comes to preforming, and yet I guess that's why I find it so interesting. When you said mentally ill, I thought of Wild Man Fischer. I read that he was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic. I actually listened to one of his albums, 'An Evening With Wild Man Fischer' and thought it was one of the weirdest albums I've ever heard.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
@Who, I agree with what you said about those being mentally ill or basically tone deaf when it comes to preforming, and yet I guess that's why I find it so interesting. When you said mentally ill, I thought of Wild Man Fischer. I read that he was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic. I actually listened to one of his albums, 'An Evening With Wild Man Fischer' and thought it was one of the weirdest albums I've ever heard.
I think one of the weirder outsider musicians is Wesley Willis. Basically, most of his songs are the exact same thing: him talking over the exact same keyboard demo with the same unnecessarily long instrumental interlude in the middle with "Rock over London, rock over Chicago," and then some random product placement he wasn't paid for. Apparently he was a schizophrenic and heard three different "demon" voices that he named and would even record a few songs that were him telling him to do disgusting things like "Suck My Dog's Dick."

I think the point where the mentally ill and genuinely good music overlaps is Daniel Johnston (although pretty much anyone who's even heard of outsider music has heard of him). He's bipolar, he refused to sign to Elektra because he thought Metallica was possessed by the devil and wanted to steal his soul, and he threw the keys out of the ignition of a small plane in an instance where he thought he was Casper the Friendly Ghost, forcing the pilot (his dad) to make a crash landing. Some of his more lo-fi songs are kind of annoying to listen to for me because of the recording quality, but I think he's written some genuinely good lyrics and isn't someone you can only like ironically.

And who can forget the one of the oldest and most famous outsider musicians? Although he's more well-known for his non-musical contributions to society. Like murder conspiracies.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think one of the weirder outsider musicians is Wesley Willis. Basically, most of his songs are the exact same thing: him talking over the exact same keyboard demo with the same unnecessarily long instrumental interlude in the middle with "Rock over London, rock over Chicago," and then some random product placement he wasn't paid for. Apparently he was a schizophrenic and heard three different "demon" voices that he named and would even record a few songs that were him telling him to do disgusting things like "Suck My Dog's Dick."

I think the point where the mentally ill and genuinely good music overlaps is Daniel Johnston (although pretty much anyone who's even heard of outsider music has heard of him). He's bipolar, he refused to sign to Elektra because he thought Metallica was possessed by the devil and wanted to steal his soul, and he threw the keys out of the ignition of a small plane in an instance where he thought he was Casper the Friendly Ghost, forcing the pilot (his dad) to make a crash landing. Some of his more lo-fi songs are kind of annoying to listen to for me because of the recording quality, but I think he's written some genuinely good lyrics and isn't someone you can only like ironically.

And who can forget the one of the oldest and most famous outsider musicians? Although he's more well-known for his non-musical contributions to society. Like murder conspiracies.

I'll have to check out Wesley Willis.

Ah, yes. Daniel Johnston. I really like his music. I actually saw a documentary about him 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston' where his father talked about that event with the plane. I thought that was a pretty depressing situation. 'Yip/Jump Music' is a pretty good album to me.

And as for Manson, I was aware that he was a musician before he became who he is today. He's creepy and so is his music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts