Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. I've decided to actually try to really figure out my type. I think I've overthought every function and brought it down to its component parts and now I have no friggin idea of what my type is, so some objectivity would be helpful.
I stole this questionnaire from the socionics forum, because I thought it was an interesting set of questions. I am not really looking for Socionics based answers, as I prefer MBTI.

Personal concepts
1. What is beauty? What is love?
Beauty...subjective sense of something that pleases you. Something that hits the 5 senses in a pleasing way.
There are a lot of kinds of love-familial love, romantic, platonic. I fall "in love" rather easily and can't control it well, but I can push away the feelings if I want to quite well. I'm actually capable of that in all senses of love-familial included. I had an abusive/addict mother and I truly don't love her anymore. I feel nothing for her at all and don't speak to her.

2. What are your most important values?
For me personally I find it important to think for myself. My values are...negotiable...overall I suppose. I try not to be a douche-that's actually my philosophy on how I treat people. I try to be kind and fair if I can. Other things I think are wrong: genocide, murder for fun, animal cruelty (oh, I care way more about animals than people overall). I don't like oppression or racism at all, nor sexism. It's all freaking illogical-a gender or a skin color have nothing to do with intelligence or capability, and it doesn't make sense when people say that it does, or imply it (very few people will say it outright). I don't tend to care as much about stealing from corporations (I don't do it, I just don't care much), but I do care about stealing from individual people. I would never go into a friend/coworkers purse and steal her money, but I do torrent videos. Ethical gray area? Well...everything is gray to an extent to me.
Oh! Also, I don't like selfishness. I put myself first where I need to, but I always think of others.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
No. I don't believe in anything spiritual/religious. Fate doesn't exist-some shit just happens, and the rest is a consequence of an action taken by yourself or someone else. I have a consciousness, not a soul. I was Christian growing up as I was raised that way, but I never really felt anything about it. As I got older, I began to truly not believe in it. I don't care if someone else is religious, but I do get mad when they say things that try to push their religion down my throat, or imply that those that aren't of their religion are somehow incorrect. If you were born in Pakistan-you'd most likely be Muslim, if you were born in Alabama you'd most likely be Christian. I don't understand the dogmatism. Some things about religion do make me get frustrated, like saying that someone that's gay is 'wrong.' That one is just stupid to me.
I think overall, I'm rather nihilistic.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
I think war used to be more necessary, but now the entire concept of a land war/physical war makes no sense. The globalization of our world has made diplomacy the far superior option. I don't like war hawks, or those that think war is the solution for everything. It's not the solution for anything except maybe eliminating a real and present threat.
Power is influence and the ability to get the guy with the gun to do your bidding. A leader with no influence over individuals has no power.

Interests
5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
I like to come up with random ideas on the fly and discuss them. I like to play games with friends like Cards Against Humanity or Super Fight-where you can link ideas together and argue about it. I like board games like Dominion and Shadows over Camelot as well. D&D is fun as well, and I like to play it very strategically. I like to also sit around and play Heads Up and guessing games. Hanging out and drinking and talking about things like politics or religion or books and movies is another favorite. We will sit around a fire pit with friends for hours.
I love to read-I usually read over 1000 pages of fiction a month, on top of school. I write regularly, at least 4-5 days per week. I'm writing a science fiction novel right now regarding a dystopian future and the consequences of oppression. I love comic book movies and shows: Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, ext. I also enjoy Walking Dead and things of that nature, Battlestar Gallactica was fantastic. I also love fantasy-A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones for your TV watchers) is my favorite book series of all time. I like Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, things like that as well. I'm currently reading a more hard-sci fi series right now-The Expanse Series- and I like it a lot. I have a tendency to binge watch shows.
I also love music-I write quite a bit, and will always have music playing. I love very lyrically complex and deep lyrics. Indie/Alternative style overall.
Other interests include law, politics, sociology, psychology, philosophy. I like biology as well.

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
Yes overall. I know a lot about medicine-I wanted to be a doctor once upon a time before determining no way in hell I would stay focused for that long to get a job I would probably then grow to hate once I mastered it. I generally know what's going on with my body and can tell when something is wrong most of the time.

7. What do you think of daily chores?
Blah. No thanks. I will clean when stuff gets disgusting but hate every moment of it.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
Ok let's see. Books: A Song of Ice and Fire, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Lord of the Rings, The Expanse, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, approx 8mm other books.
Shows: Walking Dead, Lost, Game of Thrones, Family Guy, Parks and Rec, Grimm, Dexter, Once Upon a Time, Arrow, Flash, Orange is the New Black, The 100, BattleStar Gallactica.
Movies: Avengers, Guardians of The Galaxy, Equillibrium, Star Trek, Super Troopers, almost all of the Marvel Movies. I liked Interstellar, The Interview. I like action overall, and comedy as well. Drama's are ok if I'm in the mood. I don't like romance as much.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
I cry when I see something sad or read something sad-a character dies, something like that. I don't really cry about my own life, with the exception of grief. My brother killed himself a few years ago and I sobbed and sobbed over that, but that was the last time. I smile a lot-I smile when happy, mad, saying hello to someone, when I think something is funny (which is almost always...I find the humor in everything).

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
I never really feel at one with the environment. That part of the question escapes me.
I feel like I belong when with good friends or at home. I don't usually feel like a misfit...I'm weird, but in a more quirky fun way, not a socially inept way. I'm very good at making jokes and keeping the conversation light.

Evaluation & Behaviour
11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
I'm closed off and don't do well with emotions, my own or other people's. I don't like harsh arguments, I prefer to keep it all theoretical, and will tend to just leave. I also can be a bitch when I'm mad. I've been called fake for not wanting to argue and letting people think what they want. I always act happy, which can be good or bad. But honestly, who cares about how I feel in a moment? I also can be bossy/pushy if someone does something wrong. I'm not the most patient or nurturing person.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
I'm funny. I can always make people laugh with a sarcastic comment or story. I'm smart, especially with writing/speaking, and can always point out anything that's illogical. Overall I'm kind-I don't set out to hurt feelings or be rude. I don't care if something I like is "nerdy" so I like that I can just be happy with these things. I'm easily amused and don't tend to be in a bad mood. I'm optimistic-I always assume things will work out for me and then roll with it if they don't.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?
None really. I prefer to do things myself or for myself.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
I feel stuck in a rut if whatever I'm doing isn't leading somewhere I want to go. I won't tend to stay in situations that get me into a rut. If I hate my job, I find a different one, or at the very least work toward something bigger.
Usually, I change enough to not feel stuck. If something does put me into a rut that I can't get out of-I tend to kind of freak out until I can change it.

People & Interactions
15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
I like more quiet people overall, the type that hold more back and then you can learn more as you go. I like people who are nice and who make you feel welcomed. I get a bit stressed around people who always are making others uncomfortable. I also like anyone that can follow me and my jokes. Arrogance is fine with me, I find it entertaining. I've been told I tend to talk over peoples heads a lot, so I enjoy someone that can and does follow me. I like funny people. I do not like sensitive people, overly dramatic people, clingy people, and people that are 'victims'. I like people who change something they don't like. I also like people who are interested in the same things that I am. I also can't really be friends with someone who is inherently illogical. The kind that makes all their decisions on what feels good in the moment regardless of their consequences, or is religious to the point of blindness, or is selfish. Oh, I also don't like people who are mean for no apparent reason.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
As I said earlier, I fall in love easily. Sex is good when sex is good, if that makes sense. I don't sleep around, but that's more a personal thing. I like to really know someone before sex would come into play. I tend to get hit on by a lot of guys who I then intimidate when I talk to them, and that's something that annoys me. Romance is nice every once in awhile, but I don't want to be held up to some imaginary ideal of perfection constantly.
I want intelligence, humor, kindness, consistency (I'm not consistent so I seem to crave that), respect, support but not smothering, and general attractiveness (this can be overcome to an extent but I have to find someone at least generally attractive). I also like independence in general, but I don't like when men play hard to get or push me away. I push people away, so I need someone who will pull me back.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
I'm not interested in having children and don't do well with children in general, but were I to get pregnant, I would want to teach the child independence and how to be confident. There is no reason to take people's shit, but also no reason to be cruel. I would not push religion on them but would be fine if they got there themselves. I would teach a girl that she has just as much value as men and that she should respect herself before anything else.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
Inward I'll probably think of every single thing wrong with that statement. Outward-I may say something depending on the situation, but I generally don't care if I agree with someone or if they agree with me. We can have our own opinions and still be friends to an extent. I will not be friends with racists, sexists, or people who are condescending, and I will point that out and argue it.
If it is someone I'm not comfortable with, or that I need to remain in their good graces, I will usually smile and nod as long as what they said didn't "go too far" and then change the subject. I don't see the point in arguing people who won't change their minds.
I often play devil's advocate. Even if I agree with someone, if they say something "always" is the case, I feel a compulsive need to point out every instance in which it is incorrect.
I also tend to be rather blunt, but can usually say things in such a way that people don't get mad.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
I am a member of society in what I give to it and take from it. People as a whole are good, mostly because we evolved to be that way (we wouldn't survive as a species if we were dicks to each other all the time), but trust isn't something I exactly give away.
I understand conceptually that I should care about all people, but unless I speak to someone or read about a specific person/watch something on them, I don't really care about them. I don't cry over big events until I hear someone's story.
A prevalent social problem is something that causes too much strife to too many people. IE: sexism, racism, ablism, war, terrorism. I don't think a lack of religion, divorce rates, or the downfall of 'morals' is a social problem.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
Usually by whoever I click with and get a good vibe off of (I tend to either like someone or not immediately-it may change over time but often it doesn't). If we laugh together and have fun, I'm good to go. I usually am funny, talkative, challenging, and lighthearted. I won't argue if it get's too personal and heated. I am not a a very good friend when someone is hurting. I'll be supportive but my advice is usually too harsh. There are a select few who I am very comforting to, but they kind of understand my form of 'help'. I sometimes will just give people a pat on the back, or buy them a cookie or something, to cheer them up.
I don't need to see someone all the time for them to remain my friend, but I consider my best friends to be those I hang out with the most and have the most fun with.
I'm very very expressive and make a lot of faces. I'll add in funny accents and things when speaking.

21. How do you behave around strangers?
I'm pretty quiet until I know people, but once I do, I'm very talkative. I'm good at small talk overall. I don't make friends easily, but I collect acquaintances well. Most people like me at first, but that can definitely change over time.

Other potentially relevant details:
Female
Student-finishing my bachelors after having dropped out of college at 20.
I am writing a book and hope to end up being an author, and perhaps having a podcast and doing freelance writing.

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
I'm somewhat curious to see the answers for this one
sooooooooo
this is technically a bump...

bump

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This is a Socionics-based typing... because I find people who type through MBTI-methods to be too inconsistent. Your primary focus appears to be on logic; you talk like a causal-determinist (highly analytical, talking of cause and effect, etc), your reason for hating racism is that it is illogical, etc.

"I like people who are nice and who make you feel welcomed."
You express a like of Fe.

"I do not like sensitive people, overly dramatic people, clingy people, and people that are 'victims'."
You don't really like Fi.

"I also can't really be friends with someone who is inherently illogical."
Absolutely Ti dominant.

I'd say Ti-Se.

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
This is a Socionics-based typing... because I find people who type through MBTI-methods to be too inconsistent. Your primary focus appears to be on logic; you talk like a causal-determinist (highly analytical, talking of cause and effect, etc), your reason for hating racism is that it is illogical, etc.

"I like people who are nice and who make you feel welcomed."
You express a like of Fe.

"I do not like sensitive people, overly dramatic people, clingy people, and people that are 'victims'."
You don't really like Fi.

"I also can't really be friends with someone who is inherently illogical."
Absolutely Ti dominant.

I'd say Ti-Se.
I think I agree. I would definitely say that @CourtneyJD appears to be T over F with Ti/Fe not Te/Fi
I'm not too sure about the perceiving functions though..
hmm maybe.. @Jinsei do you mind me mentioning you in this thread for any ideas/opinions?
i would mention others, but I'm absolutely brain dead it seems at the moment... >_<

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I think I agree. I would definitely say that @CourtneyJD appears to be T over F with Ti/Fe not Te/Fi
I'm not too sure about the perceiving functions though..
hmm maybe.. @Jinsei do you mind me mentioning you in this thread for any ideas/opinions?
i would mention others, but I'm absolutely brain dead it seems at the moment... >_<
In Socionics, I can't see the OP being a different type. There's only one personality that is T-dominant and has an overly analytical causal-deterministic nature; the LSI (Ti-Se). The only other explanation is that I've misinterpreted the causal-determinist implications in the OP, or Courtney is intentionally over-stating her logic focus. Still, there's a decent chunk of Socionics Se in the OP.

In MBTI, an LSI could equate to anything ranging from ISTP to INTJ.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
For me personally I find it important to think for myself. My values are...negotiable...overall I suppose.
This hit me hard as very clearly indicating the Ti/Fe axis right off the bat and I would agree with @Fried Eggzies, you lead with logical Ti. This seemed to come out farily clear throughout the OP and the quote below is just one example of many that indicates the possibility of primary Ti with inferior Fe:

I am not a a very good friend when someone is hurting. I'll be supportive but my advice is usually too harsh.
Sounds like your advice comes from cold logic and you struggle a bit with "bedside manner"

I'm not sure on N vs S however... I saw the possibility of N coming out more when you talked about your interests ie: debating theoroies, philosophical discussions, love of fantasy / sci-fi fiction etc. That could possibly mean you have more of an N over S focus although I'm not 100% sure. I also don't have a clear picture of whether you are on the Ni/Se axis or Ne/Si. Could you answer the questions below based on the image... this should help pinpoint things.

SCENARIO 7

Click on the image below and pay close attention to the things that jump out to you, objects, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

View attachment 295170

- Describe the main things that stand out to you in this picture.

- Why do you think/feel you focused on those things?

- Describe the strength with which this photo did or did not appeal to you and why?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Socionics, I can't see the OP being a different type. There's only one personality that is T-dominant and has an overly analytical causal-deterministic nature; the LSI (Ti-Se). The only other explanation is that I've misinterpreted the causal-determinist implications in the OP, or Courtney is intentionally over-stating her logic focus. Still, there's a decent chunk of Socionics Se in the OP.

In MBTI, an LSI could equate to anything ranging from ISTP to INTJ.
Hmm...I don't think I overstated the logic.
What I tried to do was allow the answers to be a stream of consciousness, and left them mostly unedited except to add things.

I will say I'm actually fairly good with people in general, and am 'nice' to everyone unless they cause me not to be (IE: they were a dick to me or someone else), but have more issues when they are upset. I usually just try to let them talk and give them advice, usually consisting of the 'if you don't like it, change it' variety.

Reactions: Jinsei

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I saw the possibility of N coming out more when you talked about your interests ie: debating theoroies, philosophical discussions, love of fantasy / sci-fi fiction etc.
Why would this necessarily be an N trait?

Reasons why not:
1) Everyone is capable of intuition. You don't have to be good at intuition to use it.
2) Ti users love to debate. They love new logical theories.
3) Fantasy and Sci-Fi fit quite comfortably with any introverted function.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This hit me hard as very clearly indicating the Ti/Fe axis right off the bat and I would agree with @Fried Eggzies, you lead with logical Ti. This seemed to come out farily clear throughout the OP and the quote below is just one example of many that indicates the possibility of primary Ti with inferior Fe:

Sounds like your advice comes from cold logic and you struggle a bit with "bedside manner"

I'm not sure on N vs S however... I saw the possibility of N coming out more when you talked about your interests ie: debating theoroies, philosophical discussions, love of fantasy / sci-fi fiction etc. That could possibly mean you have more of an N over S focus although I'm not 100% sure. I also don't have a clear picture of whether you are on the Ni/Se axis or Ne/Si. Could you answer the questions below based on the image... this should help pinpoint things.
Hmmm...I usually phrase things well so people don't get miffed at my advice, so my bedside manner isn't the absolute worst. People tend to just tell me literally everything that's possibly going wrong with them for some unknown reason. Must be my face. (I may or may not vaguely resemble a chipmunk mixed with an anime drawing).

As for the pic...here goes:
The biggest thing that stands out is the contrast in the picture. I notice that there is no one there, it looks secluded, and it looks warm yet cold at the same time. It looks almost like a set in a video game, like Guild Wars, or something along those lines. Which then of course makes me think there may be crocodile monsters in the water. :kitteh:
It looks like a place that has been mostly untouched by human hands, and is warm in the sun and cool in the shade. Kind of reminds me of Colorado-it vaguely reminds me of a hike I took with my Dad and cousins, and they kicked my ass and beat me to the top, but once I got there, there was a lake surrounded by mountains and it was pretty cool. Was it worth the 5 mile hike? Maaaaybe.
It makes me feel...a little like I want to go to a place like that I suppose.
It appeals to me in general, but I wouldn't want it to be the background on my computer or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Why would this necessarily be an N trait?

Reasons why not:
1) Everyone is capable of intuition. You don't have to be good at intuition to use it.
2) Ti users love to debate. They love new logical theories.
3) Fantasy and Sci-Fi fit quite comfortably with any introverted function.
It's not I'm just recognizing the possibility that it might be an indicator. Like I said from the OP I'm not entirely certain of N vs S at this point.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
As for the pic...here goes:
The biggest thing that stands out is the contrast in the picture. I notice that there is no one there, it looks secluded, and it looks warm yet cold at the same time. It looks almost like a set in a video game, like Guild Wars, or something along those lines. Which then of course makes me think there may be crocodile monsters in the water. :kitteh:
It looks like a place that has been mostly untouched by human hands, and is warm in the sun and cool in the shade. Kind of reminds me of Colorado-it vaguely reminds me of a hike I took with my Dad and cousins, and they kicked my ass and beat me to the top, but once I got there, there was a lake surrounded by mountains and it was pretty cool. Was it worth the 5 mile hike? Maaaaybe.
It makes me feel...a little like I want to go to a place like that I suppose.
It appeals to me in general, but I wouldn't want it to be the background on my computer or anything like that.
Objective Comments
Subjective Comments

After reading this I would probably say that the majority of the objectiveness comes from the S side of things and the subjectivity that is shown comes from the N side which would mean Se/Ni. I would also probably place you as just slightly more S over N which works with being a Ti dom.

ISTP (Ti - Se - Ni - Fe) is probably what I would go with.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Objective Comments
Subjective Comments

After reading this I would probably say that the majority of the objectiveness comes from the S side of things and the subjectivity that is shown comes from the N side which would mean Se/Ni. I would also probably place you as just slightly more S over N which works with being a Ti dom.

ISTP (Ti - Se - Ni - Fe) is probably what I would go with.
Thanks for your help!

I had always thought Ne due to my tendency to always point out a pop culture reference, or come up with weird theories, point out allegories, things of that nature. And then I had thought Si because of my ability to remember...well...pretty much every detail of something.
But those may be incorrect.

I do, however, think that I'm rather extroverted. I tend to get restless when I've been alone too long, and am one of the more talkative people in the room most of the time (always with the joke or side comment). Is that still possible with ISTP?

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
Thanks for your help!

I had always thought Ne due to my tendency to always point out a pop culture reference, or come up with weird theories, point out allegories, things of that nature. And then I had thought Si because of my ability to remember...well...pretty much every detail of something.
But those may be incorrect.

I do, however, think that I'm rather extroverted. I tend to get restless when I've been alone too long, and am one of the more talkative people in the room most of the time (always with the joke or side comment). Is that still possible with ISTP?
I think maybe this could be due to strong Se. From what I understand Si is more cataloging scenes and or what is normal according to the physical environment. I don't think it has anything to do with memory but an internal sensing where one can distinguish between what is different or make one provide a feeling of normalcy in their surroundings. I think that's Se
I think your more so an STP but that's just my opinion. You'll find a type that suits

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think maybe this could be due to strong Se. From what I understand Si is more cataloging scenes and or what is normal according to the physical environment. I don't think it has anything to do with memory but an internal sensing where one can distinguish between what is different or make one provide a feeling of normalcy in their surroundings. I think that's Se
I think your more so an STP but that's just my opinion. You'll find a type that suits
Innnnnnnnteresting.
*scratches metaphorical goatee*
Does Se or Ni explain the connections bit? I do that damn near constantly.

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
Innnnnnnnteresting.
I believe so. I had the similar confusion with Ni.
I thought Ne meant connection. But Ni actually does, it creates theories and comes up with ideas or somehow something that connects what seems to be out of nowhere.
Ne from what I believe is more arbitrary and abstract, pulling out any random idea and or question.
I think you use Ni. It appears you more easily swap between perceiving functions and obviously have a more logical mind frame
I would go with ISTP for now. However with the extravert thing, hmm interesting point...Maybe look into enneagram?

Also that's a damn good and stylish metaphorical goatee you got there :p *looks upon it gloriousness with envy*

Reactions: Courtalort

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe so. I had the similar confusion with Ni.
I thought Ne meant connection. But Ni actually does, it creates theories and comes up with ideas or somehow something that connects what seems to be out of nowhere.
Ne from what I believe is more arbitrary and abstract, pulling out any random idea and or question.
I think you use Ni. It appears you more easily swap between perceiving functions and obviously have a more logical mind frame
I would go with ISTP for now. However with the extravert thing, hmm interesting point...Maybe look into enneagram?

Also that's a damn good and stylish metaphorical goatee you got there :p
Why thank you. It was modeled after my #1 squeeze-Mr. Tony Stark.

Also, that actually makes sense. I just make so many random connections all the time, and I thought that was Ne. But ENTP never fit me quite right, and INTP certainly doesn't.
*Goes back to scratching goatee*

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Innnnnnnnteresting.
Yep, It does and @AddictiveMuse is right about the attention to detail being more Se. One of the ways I like to describe Ne/Si vs Ni/Se is to think of the subjective introverted function as the focusing point and the extroverted one's as outwardly expansive.

For Ne/Si, when looking at an object Si starts at a single point of subjective sensory meaning, "What this object mean, imply, or how does it relate to me?" ie: "The white color of this cup reminds me of hospital sheets..." then Ne takes that single point of subjective meaning and begins expanding outward... making as many abstract connections to other things that may seem unrelated, but to the Ne user they are through that single point of subjective Si meaning. ie: "white -> hospital sheets: "I wonder if they use these cups in hospitals?" -> steril and clean environment -> disinfectant -> "What if this cup were filled with disinfectant and someone thought it was lemonade and drank it?! They would probably end up in a hospital." -> lemonade -> spring time -> flowers -> "Oh! I just remembered! My friend is sick... I'm going to go dig up a pretty wildflower, plant it in this cup and take it to them to cheer them up!"... Meanwhile the person they are with is scratching their metaphorical gotee thinking... what the HELL?!

For Ni/Se however, Se starts at the expansive point sensory wise, trying to take in every single objective factual detail about the object that it can, ie: "The object is white, it's styrofoam, it's round and larger at the top than the bottom, It has an opening in the top but not on the bottom, looks like it could hold things, but it seems unstable that way... however if I flip it upside down... that's better... but anything inside would spill out... that's not very useful..." Then Ni begins trying to focus all of the Se detail information like a lens focuses sunlight. Taking millions of tiny photons and resolving them into one bright point of light that says, "AHA! It's a funny looking hat!" *puts the styrofoam cup on his head and grins like an idiot* Meanwhile the person they are with is also scratching their metaphorical gotee and thinking... what the HELL?!

Going back to the introvert / extrovert thing... It is quite possible you could be an ESTP however I think your S and N are fairly close in strength so an auxiliary / tertiary pairing seems more likely to me rather than inferior Ni. ISTPs can be fairly socially extrovered at times. Social extroversion/introversion can imply the possibility of an extroverted/introverted primary function however it is not the same thing as MBTI extroversion/introversion. Check this out:

http://personalitycafe.com/istp-forum-mechanics/39022-extroverted-istp.html#post858595

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok guys-I've been researching and pondering and I've come up with one thing that has me questioning ISTP. Well...two things.

This is based on stereotyping, but it still seems to be accurate overall-ISTPs are good at things like mechanics, engineering, and then are drawn to physical things that are kind of risky.
I am really good at social sciences, writing, physical sciences, english. Honestly, I can easily get solid A's in everything but math. Standardized testing scores always indicate 99th percentile in reading comprehension, science, social sciences. 82th percentile in spelling and 78th percentile in math. So I'm still somewhat above average in math (average on a standardized test is between 40th and 60th percentile), but it is easily my LEAST developed form of intelligence. I also have never had an interest in taking things apart and seeing their physical components. I can't even change a tire. xD
Can I still be ISTP without this affinity and interest?
As far as the physical-I really enjoy boxing, kickboxing, lifting weights. I can't sit behind a desk all day (Did it, hated it). I like archery and tend to be naturally good at things like that. I do love driving and am always pining after a different sports car. Lazer tag? Sure. Mini golf? Awesome.
BUT, I wouldn't be inclined to riding a motorcycle. I am not into adrenaline inducing activities...why would one jump out of a perfectly good plane? I suck at team sports. I don't naturally do intense physical activities. I tried them all growing up, and only liked dance (to an extent) and weightlifting. I found boxing in college and really liked that. But I sucked at basketball, softball, volleyball. I've never been a runner in any capacity.

So...what I'm asking, in a decidedly rambling way, can an ISTP suck at practical math and applied science skills (ie-bad at engineering type things and mechanics). And can an ISTP shy away from typical ISTP activities?

Also-enneagram wise-I'm most likely a 7. Would that possibly explain the extroverted qualities? I am most likely introverted because I get tired from a lot of social interaction, and am downright agoraphobic in big groups...I just get thrown because I'm so chatty and am the life of the party, as long as the party is on the smaller side.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts